guitar noob here...

This may be impossible but....I'm trying to find a new practice amp because my crappy little microcube gave out today. basically, i'm trying to find an amp thats under $400usd and can produce a decent tone for Gn'R, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led zepp., etc etc

Also, I have a couple more questsions I hope some of you might be able to answer.

1. Since I live in an apartment I have to either use headphones or turn the volume real low which makes the audio sound like crap. What are some high quality phones that I can plug into my amp and still sound good? My last ones with my Epiphone pack were awful, the lower strings gave out a muddy sound making it almost unplayable.

2. the guitar im using is a epiphone les paul standard with stock everything. How much of a difference in tone would changing to alnico II pro pickups make?

thanks
Last edited by nonamesleftWTF at Dec 15, 2008,
If you must be that quiet, i'd get a valvetronix, probably. If you want to make the people in your apartment deal with it, I'd go for a used Classic 30.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
well trough a moddeling amp not much diffrence will be noticed but it will be a diffrence non the less, and its up to you wether its worth it or not to chanege the pups.

Id go for it.

Im thinking a vavlvetronix will suit you well.
blackheart little giant... or maybe a Epi VJ
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Roand Cube 30x or 60x or peavey vypr.

I believe both have headphone outs (at least the rolands do)

both are modeling amps and have a lot of different amps they model.

i can get a ac/dc tone outta my cube 30 on the Classic or Brittish model, good cleans (thanks to the Jazz Chorus Model), and can go all the way down to metal on the "metal" or "rect" model.

both are very versitle, and have headphone outs....they sound like they would be right up your alley.
Quote by THEKID546
well trough a moddeling amp not much diffrence will be noticed but it will be a diffrence non the less, and its up to you wether its worth it or not to chanege the pups.

Id go for it.

Im thinking a vavlvetronix will suit you well.

Changing the pickups will lessen the effectiveness of them in a practise amp, especially under 15 watts. The full potential of them will be released with something more powerful.
I'd say a Peavey Vypyr, Crate Flexwave, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Valveking, or a bigger Roland cube.
advt 50 for 75$?? take it immediately, even if you dont end up liking it you can sell it for more! lol.

I'd say change the pickups and if you want headphones, make sure to buy studio headphones, you can get sonys for $30. Which by I mean ones with a FLAT EQ!! Tons of people make the mistake of bying expensive headphones not realizing they have built in EQs...
won it off of ebay for 76+25 for shipping i'm happy. unfortunately won't be here til the 29th!! damn christmas

can you recommend some nice studio headphones in the $50-80 range? maybe even more since the amp turned out to be pretty cheap. i just want anything decent sounding that doesnt sound like a wet fart when i strum the low e string.