Page 1 of 2
I'm curious, because my parents told me to look at cars but never said anything about a price. I'm looking at a commercial van that's about 12 grand. Is that a lot for a first car?
dont have one yet but im planning on 2-5k
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.

This is my first. You tell me.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Payed 3500 for it. 1995 camaro. It was worth less than the bear sized **** I took 20 minutes ago, though.

And since my second car was 12 grand, I would say yes, that is too high for a first car.
my first car cost $2600

my sisters was $5000

my brothers was $4000

if that gives you an idea. now if you have a lot of money to spend, i dont see a problem with spending more. but i don't think most kids spend $12,000 on their first car.
Quote by daytripper75
my first car cost $2600

my sisters was $5000

my brothers was $4000

if that gives you an idea. now if you have a lot of money to spend, i dont see a problem with spending more. but i don't think most kids spend $12,000 on their first car.

Ah, alright. Thanks man.
Why have a van when you can have...

THIS!

Mind you that is alot more expensive than the van you are looking at.
Planning to spend 10 grand (aussie dollars) on my firstie... which is 6,670.10 US if that helps... i dunno
Quote by KlassikMetal666
Why have a van when you can have...

THIS!

Mind you that is alot more expensive than the van you are looking at.

Because I don't want or need a flashy car, hah.

I'm getting a van because I move a lot of things back and forth, plus, people never f*ck with you if you have a van.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED

I'm getting a van because I move a lot of things back and forth, plus, people never f*ck with you if you have a van.

Because they're too busy laughing at you
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED

Are you going to have "Free Candy" written on the side?
I spent £900 on my first.

Can't see any point in spending any more than that on something you are incredibly likely to trash within a year anyway.

Also, the insurance on a van for a just-passed young 'un would be phenomenal.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I got a 1991 Honda Accord for AU$3000
It's everything I could hope for in a first car.
Quote by DJaye

and it was about that time his sister comes bounding in, as she forgot to grab her handbag, only to see her brother running down the hallway with his dick hanging out and a hotdog sausage up his arse
I paid $300 for my first car. 96 dodge neon. then i paid $1400 for my second car. 96 Cutlas Supreme LE and then i paid $1000 for my third car. 2001 Buick century.
under a K for first one
under 2k for second one
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Mine was about -£60...

Didn't have to pay cause my parents bought it years ago, and it had to be scrapped during my first week at uni...
PROJECT 84
I bought my car for $8000.
Its a '00 toyota solara, I love it
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
i got mine free from my dad :P but then i drove 2 other cars, one was £4,000 and next was £11,000.. i still drive the expensive one..but insurance is leaning to the heavier side of £3,000 ..so put into context..get a ****ty runaround
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
i just got our old car 1993 honda civic so price=free
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
That is about the worst choice you could make for a first vehicle. Pretty much nothing on the road gets worse gas mileage than a commercial van. they're difficult to park, and incredibly unstable, especially when loaded with people, raising the center of gravity even further. I would also say that 12,000 is far too much to spend on a first car, but if money is no object then I guess not (nullifies the gas argument as well). Just remember you're extremely likely to wreck it as a new driver.

My first car was free. A '97 Ford Explorer was graciously given to me by an extended family member in 2006. At the time, it was valued around $5,000. It got 12 mpg and gas was $2.50. A year and half later gas was $4.50 and no one would even call when I listed it for $1,500. When (not if) gas prices go back up that is what will happen to the value of that van. It's still on autotrader and sits in my parent's back yard at home. I bought a much smaller truck with half as many cylinders and displacement and a manual transmission that doesn't cost $100 a week to run. Even that vehicle only cost $4800 (and I got ripped off)

Save your money. There is no worse investment than a vehicle, but you must have one. Matter of fact, the only suggestion in this tread that might actually go up in value is that classic camaro. (your gas mileage will probably be in the single digits on that one)

edit: and what the hell do you have to move that you can't fit in a hatchback, crossover SUV (there are non-****ty ones) or even full size SUV? I several times moved everything I owned in that Explorer, including a mattress, and I could still see out the back window.
Last edited by Blaster Bob at Dec 15, 2008,
Blue book on my first car is around 3000 bucks, which was 96 Ford ranger with relatively decent miles. It was my dads old truck and I got it it and drove it for a couple of months the wrecked the bastard and got from the insurance money got a 96 Cherokee which is a hell of a car. But now I recently bought a 93 honda accord which I couldnt be happier with.
me and my bro share a 6,500 dollar one.

But my friend's first car is a 2008 shelby GT mustang... gay...
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Dec 15, 2008,
Mines worth £1500 at the moment.
Couple of little holes to patch up and it'll be double that.
Oh and I forgot, the longer I keep it, the more it's worth.
Classic cars ftw.
Last edited by Oli_88 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by CaptainRon
Don't have a car.

I'm looking on spending around 4k Canadian though. Unfortunately its gonna take me a good 6 months at least to work for that much.

Same here...

Been looking at some newer Chevy Cobalts... i've seen some listed for about 6,000 dollars ('06 w/ maybe 50k miles).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
My first car was and still is a '92 Toyota Corolla ... estimated at around 1.000€ I love it!
I wanna get a van too, like the one on school of rock
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Got My 92' MR2 For 'bout NZD$6000 (3.3k us). By far the greatest thing i've ever bought, it puts a smile on your face that you can't ever get off
Kyuss - Music to push the Big Red Button(TM) to
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED

WRONG
People never **** with you if you have a bull bar

fact: Bull bars **** people up
I got my 93 Chevy Blazer from my grandpa when he stopped driving 4 1/2 years ago with about 120000 miles on it. Still driving it to this day with about 175000. It's the ugliest thing to look at, but it runs perfectly and for your first car thats really all you need. Nice thing about an old blazer is they're a dime a dozen so parts are easy to find. I actually got another one for free from my boss at work and have been taking parts off of it to keep mine running Some simple maintenance and she'll go to 200,000+

Maybe this is just me, but i'd rather spend money on my guitars.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
I got my 93 Chevy Blazer from my grandpa when he stopped driving 4 1/2 years ago with about 120000 miles on it. Still driving it to this day with about 175000. It's the ugliest thing to look at, but it runs perfectly and for your first car thats really all you need. Nice thing about an old blazer is they're a dime a dozen so parts are easy to find. I actually got another one for free from my boss at work and have been taking parts off of it to keep mine running Some simple maintenance and she'll go to 200,000+

Maybe this is just me, but i'd rather spend money on my guitars.

That's not a bad looking car. I wouldn't mind one of those. My '00 frontier is about the ugliest thing on 4 wheels.

Quote by mongoose711
WRONG
People never **** with you if you have a bull bar

fact: Bull bars **** people up

Bull bars really are bad ass, but honestly, they really should be illegal. They can absolutely DECIMATE a subcompact.
Last edited by Blaster Bob at Dec 15, 2008,
95' Mazda 626 Stationwagon, got it for NZD1200. had about 110,000 kms on the speedo but its still going after 2-3 years
e:nvm
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Last edited by frozen_soul at Dec 15, 2008,
dude my Bros and Sisters first car was about 500$
haha

mine should only be about 1000$
im looking at a piece O' Crap not a deathtrap

i dont think anyones first car should be over 1500 or have power steering haha
thats how it works in my house
Quote by Blaster Bob
That's not a bad looking car. I wouldn't mind one of those. My '00 frontier is about the ugliest thing on 4 wheels.

Bull bars really are bad ass, but honestly, they really should be illegal. They can absolutely DECIMATE a subcompact.

WRONG i actully cut off a guy in a big Raised F250 with a bull bar yesterday it was on accident there was another car that cut me off causing me to swerve into his lane

HE GOT PISSED
he switched lanes sped past me and flipped me the bird

but its cool he actully got pulled over like 10 secs later for speeding haha
Page 1 of 2