SO just picked up a Korg tuner and some pics. I bought an Epiphone Dot a few weeks ago and finally picked it up, guitar was close before I tuned it. I have been going on the Justin Guitar website and have been working on DEA chords. I can't believe my finger tips are soo numb, lol. Could I be pressing too hard or just because its new. Having bigger hands really sucks too. Hopefully the more I practice the better I will get.

and you should never complain about having big hands
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
my fingers stop hurting completely after2 weeks. but the hurt a little when i play about 2 hours without break:P
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
in a few months you wont even remember 'those' days were your fingers hurt..

if you keep up the practice daily of course =D
ahah lulz. its like starting anything new. when i started working out my muscles hurt and my body was numb, when I started skateboarding my legs went wobbly after hours. your body just needs time to get used to the strain and cope with it. you'll toughen up dont worry
I hated those days... When my fingers hurt... Well the still kinda hurt with a whole bunch of playing...but not its usually my wrist...
You'll get a calous on your fingertips pretty quick. I find now that when I don't play for a while and then sit down and play something fast my elbow and bicep start to hurt. Gotta hit the gym, build more upper arm strength
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by fli.pansy

and you should never complain about having big hands

Nice! LOL Guess I have NOTHING to complain about then< LOL
The soreness in the finger tips goes away in three or six months. Today I noticed my left forearm was sore for yesterday's practice. So the pain just migrates somewhere else. LOL
Nope just keep going it goes away eventually and you can play for hours on end without pain
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by mfarre03
Got plenty of arm strength, built like a damn tank <LOOL 6'8" 410 lbs

r u serious... or are you joking?? if you are serious, you shoould play football
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
yeah Im serious, wish I would have continued football after Highschool. Had kids young, went to work, blah blah blah, LOL, 34 now...out of shape
I've played until my fingers blead (spelling?) once. Now I can't do that even after staying up all night practicing. It'll get better. Your fingers just need to develope callouses.

So, yes, it is because you're new to this.
Quote by mfarre03
Got plenty of arm strength, built like a damn tank <LOOL 6'8" 410 lbs

are you really albert king, back from the dead, and posting under a false name?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
(Only been at this six months... so this may well be a load of rubbish)

Quote by mfarre03
Could I be pressing too hard or just because its new.

It's probably a bit of the first, and a lot of the last.

It takes a while for parts of your left hand you use for fretting to build up callouses and generally toughen up. After all, you are basically jamming your fingertips onto the sort of thing you could use to cut cheese! Keep at it and it'll go in time.

That said, you may well also be pressing too hard. I certainly did when I first started, and still do now, although I'm working to correct it (getting there....). The way I see it, this is down to a lack* of strength in the fretting hand, not too much. Okay, that sounds really daft, but think of it as a smaller version of lifting a really heavy object - you're pushing you muscles beyond what they're used to, so fine control is ruined. As the muscles in your fretting hand build up, you'll find that you have the power to control the amount of pressure you apply, and so will be able to put less load on overall which helps in a whole load of ways.

* One of the things that amazed me when I first picked up a guitar was just how much stress it puts the fretting hand under. I always thought I had a moderately dextrous left hand, but compared to the Finger Olympics that is playing guitar, it was in feeble shape. It took a good 2-3 months at the start just to start getting it into shape.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by baylewis
are you really albert king, back from the dead, and posting under a false name?

Oh ****, how did you know? LOL Now that you know, I must kill you all, mauahahahaha
Soon the doctors will have to amputate your fingers.

Seriously, that's fine.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

My fingers usually hurt after playing a gig. They don't hurt at first, it isn't until I try to pick something up the next day. They feel like needles going through the tips but that's when I know I gave it my all. Anyways good luck!
itl get naturally better with practice. when you feel blisters coming on, dont eff with it. put a tiny hole in it and empty it. let it dry out and there you go, quick calus (go easy on it, it sucks if it tears off before healing). when you get naturally calused fingertips itl be much better. my fingertips actually have almost no real calus on it that you can see, they feel normal it doesnt feel the hardened feel i usually had before, and yet i still never -ever- get any kind of blister ever. on either hand. also the pressure thing will go down as you practice everything. compared to how i was playing things when i started a year ago it is rediculous. i practically -touch- the strings now it seems.

all in all, practice. no actually dont practice, play. its fun, not a chore.
If they hurt then you arent playing enough.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
My finger never hurt, i guess cause i useto work construction before and my finger were already "hard"

anyways if it hurts like legs hurt after running its ok if it hurts so much that it makes you wanna punch babies go see a doctor

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by emr_steelmech
You'll get a calous on your fingertips pretty quick. I find now that when I don't play for a while and then sit down and play something fast my elbow and bicep start to hurt. Gotta hit the gym, build more upper arm strength

Dear god man, What are you playing that weighs that much? a Telecaster or something?!
Yeah my fingers hurt. What sucks though, is whats happening to me nowww! I play about 4-6 hours a day (I'm on vacation what can I say?) and the calous's on the ends of my fingertips got very hard in the past couple years, Now they got so hard that the skin itself is dead now and peeling away =(, Now I'm guessing its gonna start hurting for the next couple months =(
I've been playing for 8 years, and my fingers still occasionally hurt if i put in about 10 hours a day. Pretty much though after a few weeks you'll develop callusses and you'll be fine.
after about 2 weeks your fingers will stop hurting, it was annoying when i started playing as well