Hi Folks new to the forum - what a great resource nice to meet you all.

This has probably been asked before but I've had a good squiz around and couldn't see any threads which related.

I have a 71 LP Deluxe which I've owned for about 20 years. It had a late 70's Dimarzio PAF in the neck and a Super Dist in the bridge. The SD was a bit trebly for what I was playing a decade or so ago so I took it out and replaced it with something mellower.

Now I want the SD back in which I've done but I'm not getting any volume. Well I'm getting volume but the equivalent of a 1 on the neck pickup.

Has my SD shat itself during 10 years of storage, is my pot stuffed (it was working fine with the p/up I took out but maybe I fried it soldering ?) or is my soldering dodgy ?

Any help from tech heads would be much appreciated.
just make sure the wires havnt rusted and are good and clean
double check you soldering
???
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by justlivin
just make sure the wires havnt rusted and are good and clean
double check you soldering
???

Cheers mate.

The wires were fine but a cut a bit off and stripped the insulation back just to be sure. I've got the shield soldered to the top of the pot with the black wire inside it I think that's right. Well that's how the other one is done.

To be honest my soldering looks a bit like a dogs breakfast but no more of a dog's breakfast than my last effort 10 years ago and that worked ok.
Ok so I went and bought a SD SH4 JB and got a new volume pot as well to be sure to be sure.

Spent 2 hours installing it and being extra careful to do schmiko clean solders and still no go on the volume. Stuffed around for another 2 hours making sure I had all the connections right and then changed them around to suit another wiring diagram I had but still no joy. The JB is giving about the same volume as the Dimarzio PAF in the neck on 1.5, and there's just next to no output - just twangy clean and doesn't go close to overdriving my amp.

So I took the switch cover off for the first time ever and lo and behold the whole switch is covered in about a quarter of an inch of a powdery white stuff. The old volume pot also had a very thin covering of similar looking white stuff as well.

Could this indicate a capacitor problem ?
Don't know if it helps, but the pots in my deluxe are all covered in powdery white dust as well, and except for a bit of 'rustling' noise when I turn the pots there's no problem there.

But, so, what if you put back your old pickup? Then you'll know whether it's something to do with the pickups or really with the wiring. Just to rule everything out one by one, House-style ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
pickup height?.

fret on the last fret, the polepieces should be 3/64" below the bottom of the corresponding string. then dial the whole pickup in to taste.

also, have you checked the output of your pickups with a multimeter?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Thanks for your suggestions fellas....

Born - I don't know if I can bring myself to pull this one out and stick the old SD back in I already spent 8 hours stuffing around with it last night... The problem with both pickups is exactly the same - there is output but extremely low so I'm pretty sure the old SD would still suffer the same problem.

Cuth - I had already bought the pickups way out, they're about 1/8th - 1/16th from the strings and it's way closer than the neck pickup.

I don't have a multimeter - thought about getting a cheapy but I'll likely never use it again and the cost of a tech would probably be not much more....

Maybe I'll just take it to a tech and get a restring and setup while I'm at it.

Any other suggestions before I do ?

Anyone have any ideas on my capacitor theory ?
I'm out of ideas, sorry. But if you're seeing the tech anyway, first show him the guitar, and ask him what his ideas are. Then you can still decide whether you want to fix it yourself or not.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Ok I went to Tandy today but the mofo's don't sell capacitors anymore...

WTF? - they used to sell everything electronic now they only sell Ipods and accessories

So I tracked down the one geek shop in town that sells 047capacitors and was surprised to learn that these little gems were only 30 cents a piece....
they're capacitators man what'd you expect
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I was expecting at least 50 cents.... at least.... maybe even maxing out at 90
Quote by Gomez65
I was expecting at least 50 cents.... at least.... maybe even maxing out at 90

I am glad they are so cheap. 50 - 90 cents would break me. LMFAO
Ok so I went to the geek shop and got me my 0.47 capacitor for 30 cents.... and while I was at it I got a cheapy multimeter for 9 bucks... yeah I know - last of the big spenders.....

Problem is the multimeter is one of the Chinese one's where the instructions have been translated by some guy in Shanhoon Province in between tending to his cows... "Red led no touch with black wire in between display dial and push button to calcurate energy power resitor plaine" - Huh ? Say what?

It also has a caution at the bottom: "Do not run over with car" - Really ? I always thought these things were made to be run over by cars - lucky they forewarned me I was just about to drive over mine....

Anyway I worked out that the black is the earth and the red is the live... when I test the PAF neck pickup at the pot it reads 8.29

When I do the same to the bridge pickup I get nothing but this is a brand new JB so I must be doing something wrong eh ?

Is this how you test pickup output ?
are you sure?

i remember red and white taped soldered together, black to switch and green to ground.

this is a duncan JB?

ok let me check...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hi JJ

Yep it's a duncan JB - I have it as you say black to switch and green to ground but I haven't soldered the red and white together just twisted them together and left them out of the circuit - are they supposed to be joined are they ?
there ya go.

yes sir they are.

try it and let me know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The soldering iron is heating up as I type.

Thanks mate I'll report back after.
JJ you're a legend - she's singing like bird! Thanks heaps.

What's that saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - think they wrote that about me....

Thanks to you other guys for your sugestions as well..
ok good job
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Oh yeah this JB rocks and the sustain is brilliant - for the first time since owning this guitar the bridge is outsinging the neck. It's a lot warmer than I was expecting and has heaps of tone. I'll have to dust off the old DS-1 and see how she runs through that.

The multimeter show's the output at 15.91 - No idea what that means but the PAF is only 8.37 so I guess the higher the better right? and here I was thinking my old PAF was the ducks nuts for sustain.

So much for my capacitor theory.
haha, i outgrew my JB a few years back. but i used it for quite a while.

if you find it's got a little too much treble, you can even that pup a little by dipping the treble side. even more, by adjusting the poles to taste.

you can see in this pic, that the bottom row is adjustable.

small turns and dont go lower than flush to the pup.
raise and lower strings you want more or less emphasis from.

in the same way, if you find a huge volume dip when switching over from neck to bridge, you can adjust the heights of both pickups until you're satisfied that they work well together.

congrats, and hope to see you around.
feel free to call me,

Jenny (yeah i'm a girl)
and in my sig there's a green link to help with any future setup questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks for the advice and tips Jenny. I already guessed you were female by your profile and songs - They're brilliant I particularly like Come to my Window. Your voice is amazing.

I don't find the JB that trebly compared to the last 2 pups I've had in the bridge - a 70's Dimarzio SD and an Ibanez Super 70. My tone pot has now stopped working I figure it has something to do with my dodgy rewiring efforts. Pretty sure I know what the problem is so I'll get around to fixing it but love the tone coming from the JB as it is.

I've been playing around with the JB and have come up with a catchy tune which I'm still working on to take it out to a couple of minutes - I'll let you know when it's complete and uploaded for your opinion and critique if you have the time.

Cheers
sure i get PMs all the time. cant wait.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62