i know theres been 100 threads on this but I can't seem to find the answer.

I want to record my acoustic guitar to my PC as cheaply as possible and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way.

1 Pickup with a preamp
2. Microphone

Does anyone know if its possible to link your guitar (electric or acoustic) to ableton 7?
I can't seem to find info on this either.

Thanks for your help
Quote by Fezler69
i know theres been 100 threads on this but I can't seem to find the answer.

I want to record my acoustic guitar to my PC as cheaply as possible and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way.

1 Pickup with a preamp
2. Microphone

Does anyone know if its possible to link your guitar (electric or acoustic) to ableton 7?
I can't seem to find info on this either.

Thanks for your help

If you want something cheap you could get like a toneport with a cheap mic, it all depends on your budget, search on musicians friend for a recording interface that suits you (1 or 2 mic inputs with phantom power)
Also check for a condenser mic, I got the MXL 990, paid 100 bucks and it sounds quite good for the money I'd say

For the pickup vs mic thing, you're way better with a mic, it sounds 10x more natural.

Any other questions PM, since no one seems to be interested to answer
pickup or mic, either way you go will require an audio interface if you want good sound.

My suggestion is the MXL 990/991 mic kit with interface at MF
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US144-Interface-and-990991-Mic-Pack-Bundle?sku=241736

Get a few mic stands and you have a nice setup. I really enjoy the sound when micing acoustic with those two mics. On top of that, it's not too expensive. Some people may be hesitant about putting down $200 but you should be able to get some great sound for that price and in the field of recording, nothing is "cheap".
great thanks guys - so in summary

1. Mic sounds better than pickup
2. Will need some kind of interface to get it on the PC

smashing
Try a USB condenser mic to save the hassle of an interface/phantom power. I use a Samson CO1U all the time for getting ideas down quickly, thoroughly recommended.