Hey guys,
So for Christmas I'm looking into getting a nice amp for live shows and stuff and decided to look at Marshalls, I also want a half stack setup as opposed to a combo amp and a couple of weeks ago I tried out a Marshall DSL 100 head which was pretty nice.

But I'd always heard nice things about the JCM 800's. Obviously these are rather expensive (around £900+), and then I came accross the Jcm 800 2203 Kerry King signiture head. Now lets get this straight, I'm not a massive Slayer fan, but this amp looked awesome to me, it seems to be based on the Jcm 800 but it's cheaper (about £600 here). What I need is a nice clean channel, I have a Pod X3 Live which I'd like to run through the effects loop for some other effects too and the beast mode looks br00talz as well.

So really what I'm asking for is opinions on this thing, is it good? Worth the price over here in the UK? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of time fast!

-Guy
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
All i can read about what sound your after is "i want a nice clean channel".
I have a JCM 800 2205 and the gain channel sounds AWESOME, the clean on the other hand sounds ok but nothing more.
Why exactly are you set on a half-stack as opposed to a combo???
Because if you want something br000tal
Peavey 5150 combo.
Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Why exactly are you set on a half-stack as opposed to a combo???
Because if you want something br000tal
Peavey 5150 combo.

ITS NOT BR00T4LZ MY ASSHOLE IS BRUTAL AS MY BANANA SKIN PEEL.
5150's have pretty average cleans though.

There's nothing wrong with a half stack. If you are in the UK try a Laney AOR, they are like a hot rodded JCM800, I haven't heard its clean channel though (but it is a laney). Carvin's can also be had for pretty cheap and have great cleans.

I haven't heard the kerry king JCM sorry.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
True, 5150's cleans arent exactly fender-esque, but i was just thinking, that if its being run through the POD X3 like on the songs on the his myspace, then maybe the effects/modelling could possibly take care of that.
Could be wrong though.
Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
True, 5150's cleans arent exactly fender-esque, but i was just thinking, that if its being run through the POD X3 like on the songs on the his myspace, then maybe the effects/modelling could possibly take care of that.
Could be wrong though.

Sorry forgot to mention, I didn't use the POD on any of our recordings, I used our producers equipment (can't even remember the name of the stuff right now lol).

So no-ones tried the 2203KK? Dam, I could really do with an opinion of someone whose used it as it looks pretty sweet.

Award for most helpful posts goes to jackathy

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
I have tried the DSL , and like you said its pretty good,
Maybe see if you can get it used or something
ebay? gumtree?
Also, you've said what kind fo cleans your looking for, but what kind of levels of distortion you looking for exactly?
Prefferably I'd like the amp new, my parents are gonna contribute and then I'll pay the majority of the price and that'll be my christmas present.

I want like a really warm and smooth clean channel, something that'll sound good with open chords as well as picking stuff.
As for distortion, well I do have this Pod X3 Live which has the distortions and other effects on it that I use at the moment, so I'm not too clear on what I really want here (helpful I know), but like I say that KK model looked like it had some wicked distortion. I play stuff like Funeral for a friend, Alexisonfire as well as lighter stuff like Chili's etc so the amp has to be kinda varied.

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
DSL Cleans are pretty nice.. but if its clean you want you should look into fender really
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
If you play pop punk like your myspace said, the 2203kk isn't for you, I think. Especially if you need cleans. Unless you A/B, you aren't really going to get them.

A DSL would be good, as would a Rockerverb 100 or a Rocker 30. Also, since you're in the UK, look into Hiwatt, Laney, and Matamp.
The 2203KK is a sick amp, probably the only Marshall I've really liked that they've came out with lately, but if you're going to use a POD x3 for distortion, there's no point in even spending that much money on an amp. That'd be a complete waste.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 2203KK is a sick amp, probably the only Marshall I've really liked that they've came out with lately, but if you're going to use a POD x3 for distortion, there's no point in even spending that much money on an amp. That'd be a complete waste.

agreed only use it for modulation effects

also look on the used market for older marshalls from the 80's they're much better then the new ones that come out (the new jvm is awful)

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by MatrixClaw

I totally agree with your post.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Naw the distortion on that amp does sound beastly and I'd love to incorporate that. Do you think there's any way that I could set it so that a footswitch on my pod could change the channel on the amp from clean to distortion? Sorry if that sounds stupid but I thought I might as well ask.

Do you know how the clean channel sounds on this amp? That's something I'm really interested in because you seem to be the only person so far that's actually used this amp.

Thanks in advance,

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Why not look around for a used JSX head? The clean channel is amazing if you want a pure, clean channel (it takes effects really well). The crunch channel is very british voiced but it can get pretty heavy, too.
The KK 800 is very BIG sounding. Mainly due to the KT88's it has in it's power section. It's also very gainy without sounding harsh.

For the music style you mentioned though, I suggest looking at a Marshall DSL or Vintage Modern.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
the KK signature head doesnt have a clean channel or an effects loop
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the KK signature head doesnt have a clean channel or an effects loop
That was the idea with this amp. Straight and simple signal path that allows for a bare bones solid tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Guy101
Prefferably I'd like the amp new, my parents are gonna contribute and then I'll pay the majority of the price and that'll be my christmas present.

I want like a really warm and smooth clean channel, something that'll sound good with open chords as well as picking stuff.
As for distortion, well I do have this Pod X3 Live which has the distortions and other effects on it that I use at the moment, so I'm not too clear on what I really want here (helpful I know), but like I say that KK model looked like it had some wicked distortion. I play stuff like Funeral for a friend, Alexisonfire as well as lighter stuff like Chili's etc so the amp has to be kinda varied.

-Guy

You honestly shouldn't need a Line 6 unit for distortions if you're getting the KK JCM800. Haven't tried it, but I've heard nothing but good reviews on it.

EDIT: How much is the Randall RM50 head up there in the UK? You can basically get an amazing clean tone and any distortion you want (except for ENGL and the Mesa Mark series, for now) with Randall's preamp modules.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
What about the Orange Rocker 30 head? I've heard really good things about that as well, I'm just wondering how much (if any) quieter it'll be compared to these 100wat marshalls etc.

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
The 2203kk amp:

Really gainy.
Not real versatile.
Straight forward big sound.
Can be clean. No separate clean channel.
POD doesn't work well before this amp.
No effects loop.

Straight forward kick your ass Slayer sound!
Quote by dahctor
The 2203kk amp:

Really gainy.
Not real versatile.
Straight forward big sound.
Can be clean. No separate clean channel.
POD doesn't work well before this amp.
No effects loop.

Straight forward kick your ass Slayer sound!

This thread = 2 months old
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
This thread = 2 months old

Just got the amp...thought searchers might enjoy the input. Thank you.