Page 1 of 996
The old thread was teeming so we are starting a new one.Click here if you need to brush up on the old one. Once again, the rules:

This thread is for discussing all matters relating to religion (and thusly all areas specifically theological and generally religious) and all things philosophical (excluding political philosophy, obviously.)

Though there will be overlap, generally it should be obvious when a piece of philosophical discussion should be in the politics thread.

No flaming and no pointless disrespect. I'm actually in this thread quite a lot so you will getcalled out on it, unlike in the past.

Coming in and simply posting, 'god doesn't exist' (or vice versa) is spam and will be treated as such. Give your posts substance, or do not post them. Simple as that.

If folk are being twats in this and you're reporting them but nothing much is being done, it's because no one cares about this thread so maybe send me a PM. Though that's unlikely.

Have LOTS of fun...

-Stuart

Have at it.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
So... anyone seen the movie expelled? Did your IQ points drop like the stockmarket? Hayooo!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
So... anyone seen the movie expelled?

No, but I hear good things.
I had a bitching blog about my views on religion but some towel spammed it so I deleted it. It's weird starting these threads because nobody really knows what to say

So...Jehovas eh?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I had a bitching blog about my views on religion but some towel spammed it so I deleted it. It's weird starting these threads because nobody really knows what to say

So...Jehovas eh?

What happened to that kid that stopped being a JW. Wonder how he is...
Quote by Kensai
So... anyone seen the movie expelled? Did your IQ points drop like the stockmarket? Hayooo!

Oh good God. No I haven't but my IQ dropped listening to Ben Stein be interviewed by Fox News. I had an IQ crash.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

So...Jehovas eh?

My great grandmother is a Jehova's Witness. I don't think she actually believes in it, I think she's just really cheap and doesn't want to buy me Christmas or Birthday presents.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
So...Jehovas eh?

I never understood what the point of some of their beliefs are. Like the ones about blood transfusions. It just seems to have no positive purpose to hold that kind of belief.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

So...Jehovas eh?

I'm watching America's Most Hated Family right now. God, they make me physically sick.

Edit: Jehovah's talk Yea, I lived next door to a few. They stuck to themselves and said they're no longer allowed to go round people's houses.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
My great grandmother is a Jehova's Witness. I don't think she actually believes in it, I think she's just really cheap and doesn't want to buy me Christmas or Birthday presents.

Ouch that's gotta suck

..First page.

<_<

>_>
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
so... hows bout them religions??

sound like a barrel of laughs eh?

EDIT: Actually just so this comment isn't completely a waste of time, I ask anyone who believes in a God or many God's: How the hell do you know its not bulljizm? And also, if i'm a really good person, can i still go to hell for hating religion and all that comes from it?
Last edited by Sacrebleu! at Dec 15, 2008,
Uh first page on Epic thread?

Yes please...

*saves spot for future editing*
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by Jack Off Jill

It's an easy lifestyle, just like being in prison in the UK. Three square meals, shelter and clothes without paying tax. People are lining up to get in prison here.

I know a family who stopped being Jehovas, they're just as boring and still don't really celebrate Christmas. It was always funny because they live in a small house with 4 kids and their next door neighbours always had the most/best Xmas decorations in the whole time.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I never understood what the point of some of their beliefs are. Like the ones about blood transfusions. It just seems to have no positive purpose to hold that kind of belief.

A JH came to my door once, and I wasn't thinking so I answered the door without looking. (****! I thought, oh well might as well go with it).

SO I stood there, letting my mind wander about, ignoring everything she said (because we've all heard it before).

And then she ends with "So do you ever think of things like that?" And I snap back into reality and say "I'm sorry dear, I was miles away."

She got pissed and left
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh good God. No I haven't but my IQ dropped listening to Ben Stein be interviewed by Fox News. I had an IQ crash.

The supertrailer left me numb in the right side of my brain and I drooled all over my t-shirt. So for a few seconds I was excactly like a creationist.
About the blood transfusion thing, my friend was a jehova, he was in a car crash and died in a helicopter on the way to the hospital because he wasn't allowed a blood transfusion. Kinda sucks.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Ur all $h1t

They take the bible very seriously, and it says in there that you're supposed to abstain from blood. I'm not saying there's any positive purpose aside from making themselves feel like good religious people. The Watch Tower Society actually disagrees with some of their anti-blood stuff.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Kensai
The supertrailer left me numb in the right side of my brain and I drooled all over my t-shirt. So for a few seconds I was excactly like a creationist.

I know, I had to give you mouth to mouth after you were done convulsing in order to revive you.

Best 30 seconds of my life.

edit: Tell me THAT wasn't creepy ^
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Too true, I remember hearing about a JW woman who was given blood to save her life following childbirth which was administered against her wishes, however their oath is to do no harm, so i guess the doctors' had no choice. What kind of religion makes people choose death over life (especially considering she had just given birth, why would she choose religion over her child?)
Also, concerning JW and medicine, is there such things as a JW doctor, seeing as their beliefs are entirely incompatible with the Hippocratic Oath?
There's this girl at my school who's a JW, but the worst one in the world. She drinks, smokes, has sex with whoever the hell she likes. In fact, she's pretty cool. She just doesn't want to tell her parents to stick their religion up their asses.
Quote by Sacrebleu!
There's this girl at my school who's a JW, but the best one in the world. She drinks, smokes, has sex with whoever the hell she likes. In fact, she's pretty cool. She just doesn't want to tell her parents to stick their religion up their asses.

fixed

She's my favorite JW, now that you tell me this.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
+1 brah.

Brah!? I'm not yer brah, brah.

Ok whatever, I gotta go take two exams that will probably be my undoing in college as my grades are not so hot. Wish me luck in my future

...I'm serious though, I'm probably gonna fail these exams.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Brah!? I'm not yer brah, brah.

Ok whatever, I gotta go take two exams that will probably be my undoing in college as my grades are not so hot. Wish me luck in my future

...I'm serious though, I'm probably gonna fail these exams.

Good luck brah.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I know, I had to give you mouth to mouth after you were done convulsing in order to revive you.

Best 30 seconds of my life.

edit: Tell me THAT wasn't creepy ^

I watched the ben stein on fox news bit. This mean has clearly no idea what evolution is, nor the 1st amendment.

Reporter: "They're [ben stein opponents] going to say you have no right to intrude on american secular culture by bringing up there might be a creator, and you say what?"

Ben Stein: "I say there's a first amendment, I'm allowed to say what I want and Bill Mar has nothing to say about it"

Don't you just hate it when you make a post and the immediate next thing that happens is that someone kills the thread and starts a new one?

So I'll repost my last post on the last thread.

Quote by primusfan

it was clearly hyperbole (as atheists existed before christianity) in reference to the church's preservation of the classics as well as their scientific inquiry. yes, believe it or not, the church does not hate science.

Most of our modern sciences and engineering were actualy adopted and adapted from the east, Islamic science and engineering at one point was far more advanced than the western world's and we all know about the scientific advances made by the ancent Chinese.

What Christianity, Catholicism in particular, was very good at however was assimilating cultures and traditions from other places. That's how we ended up with Christmas at the end of December, that's how Christianity ended up believing in a trinity.
It's how Christianity became the largest religion around with so many slightly different versions of Christianity, even voodoo is simply a merging of the beliefs and practices of West African peoples with Roman Catholic Christianity.

It's only common sense to imagine Catholicism assimilating other culture's science and technology along with cultural traditions.

I understand what you mean though about the Catholic Church being responsible for much of the western world's education, but who we really have to thank for this tradition of the Catholic Church is Charlemagne, the Frankish King and instigator of the Holy Roman Empire.
He was an exellent political tactician who based his empire on the ancient Roman empire tactic of invasion and then improvement in newly aquired territories as a way of expanding the empire. But after taking Constantine's example, he used the already very influential Catholic Church as a medium to institute the Carolingian Renaissance.

The Carolingian Renaissance was the flowering of scholarship, literature, art, and architecture. Charlemagne, brought into contact with the culture and learning of other countries due to his vast conquests, greatly increased the provision of monastic schools and centres for book-copying throughout the empire. Reading and writing were very important to Charlemagne because he could recognise that knowledge meant power, even though he couldn't read and write himself, (although he began attempts to learn reading and writing in his old age) so he pushed for more people throughout the empire to learn to read and write.

Before Charlemagne, the Catholic church was not the seat of education it would become, but after Charlemagne, the tradition continued.

Still, even 700 years after Charlemagne, while the Catholic Church was criticising Copernicus' heliocentric model because it regarded the earth as the centre of the universe, Islam was embracing it. Muslim savants had published heliocentric hypotheses centuries before Copernicus and the Islamic world went on to invent the almucantar quadrant, the navigational astrolabe, the vertical sundial and the polar sundial long before such things were available in the west.
A number of important educational and scientific institutions previously unknown in the ancient world have their origins in the medieval Islamic world, with the most notable examples being the public hospital (which replaced healing temples and sleep temples) and psychiatric hospital, the public library and lending library, the academic degree-granting university, and the astronomical observatory.

This was all part of the Islamic Golden Age, (look it up, it was an incredible age of advancement, far too much to mention here) also sometimes known as the Islamic Renaissance, in comparison, the Carolingian Renaissance responsible for Catholic education was merely playing a game of catch up, until the Crusades from the West that resulted in the instability of the Islamic world during the 11th century.

So did the Catholic Church educate people and help advance science and technology? Yeah, sure, to a cirtain extent, but it also did a lot of damage to science and technology too.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
It's an easy lifestyle, just like being in prison in the UK. Three square meals, shelter and clothes without paying tax. People are lining up to get in prison here.

oh, and first page.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, Anyone here a hardcore Catholic? I whip myself five times a day to get rid of all the Sinlinessicities.
Quote by Dave_Mc

oh, and first page.

It's true, thousands of UK residents have turned to petty crimes recently to get in jail rather than struggle with debts.

Edit: No. I was born Catholic and was made to go to Church as a child but stopped going to Church and believing in Christianity in general when I left primary school (i went to an RC school) - 7 years later and I haven't been to church since (except weddings and whatnot) and quite frankly I'm disgusted I was sent to a school where they drilled religion into my head, and punished me for speaking against it between the ages of 7 and 12.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
It's true, thousands of UK residents have turned to petty crimes recently to get in jail rather than struggle with debts.

Edit: No. I was born Catholic and was made to go to Church as a child but stopped going to Church and believing in Christianity in general when I left primary school (i went to an RC school) - 7 years later and I haven't been to church since (except weddings and whatnot) and quite frankly I'm disgusted I was sent to a school where they drilled religion into my head, and punished me for speaking against it between the ages of 7 and 12.

Yeah, I was born into Catholicism as well. RC school. After I left that I realized certain flaws with what they were teaching me. I just feel like playing Devil's advocate since religious discussions are pretty interesting but, this seems pretty one sided at the moment.
Quote by BotC
So, Anyone here a hardcore Catholic? I whip myself five times a day to get rid of all the Sinlinessicities.

I used to be Roman Catholic, and I was educated in a Roman catholic school till I was 12 and then another Catholic school pretending to be a secular school till I was 17.
I stopped believing in the RC church by the time I was 13 and I stopped believing in God altogether by the time I was 15/16

I think if the catholic Church had any decency they'd leave confirmations till the child was 18 I definitely wouldn't have been confirmed if I'd been a bit older and able to think for myself and resist family pressures.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by BotC
Yeah, I was born into Catholicism as well. RC school. After I left that I realized certain flaws with what they were teaching me. I just feel like playing Devil's advocate since religious discussions are pretty interesting but, this seems pretty one sided at the moment.

Entirely one sided. I was told during school religion was true. My teachers quoted the bible as fact, and I knew it was all subjective so I ignored most of it. I believe in school, kids who are so young they can't think for theirselves should be taught how read and write, not what religion to believe.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

do you have a source for that? going to jail wouldn't wipe your debts, there are easier ways to get your debts annulled (for want of a better word) e.g. bankruptcy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
and then another Catholic school pretending to be a secular school till I was 17.

that's awesome.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?