For EJ, what nightraven said. You have to couple it with other effects as well, probably reverb, chorus and delay.

I too want that sound. Isn't happening for a bit, yet.
ynwie malmsteen uses a pedal that gets that effect, look at his gear and see if you can find it
Er...Violins aren't typically associated with distorted sounds

If you've heard a solo with a violin-esque sound, that's from manipulation of the guitar's volume pot (or with a volume pedal). Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Brian May and Robert Fripp use the technique a lot.
How to get the wonderful violin tone?

Then you're looking at Eric Johnson's tone. I've been able to copy his tone for 95% using this;

BK Butler Tube Driver (medium gain setting, set the EQ before 9 o clock) --> Fulltone RTO (medium gain setting, this way it sounds like a cranked amp) --> EHX Deluxe memory man.

Basically the way to get that tone is by using the Tube Driver in combination with a tube amp which is pushed very hard. EJ uses a Marshall. If you want your amp to be clean however, you could use an overdrive pedal as the second gain stage, instead of a cranked amp.
I would buy the real deal.. I mean, BK Butler is not gonna make them for a long time now. So I'd buy one before he quits. (The tube drivers will be worth A LOT in 20 years time). And yes, the price tag is pretty hefty. But compared to several other boutique pedal makers, it's definitely worth the money. It's a good investment, especially since it's value is very likely to increase...
go get a 200lbs of tone by lovepedal, perfect for you
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
This video shows you how Joe does the violin thing http://uk.youtube.com/watchv=wluTsVh46_E its towards the end.

Quote by kyle62
Er...Violins aren't typically associated with distorted sounds

If you've heard a solo with a violin-esque sound, that's from manipulation of the guitar's volume pot (or with a volume pedal). Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Brian May and Robert Fripp use the technique a lot.
Well, what is it about the violin that makes it sound so violinear?
1) A soft attack, or no attack at all. Unlike a guitar, which produces a loud twang and then fades gradually, every note on a violin starts quietly and quickly rises in volume. It remains about the same volume for the whole duration of the note.
2) A violin produces a LOT of overtones, more than a clean guitar sound.

Thus, I would suggest using a smooth-sounding fuzz pedal. That would produce a lot of overtones while still having a smooth overall feel, while the compression as a side effect of the gain boost would result in a less evident dynamic attack.
It wouldn't sound exactly like a violin, but more like some weird electric psychadelic violin. From outer space.

And how is taht not cool?

I recommend the Big Muff
Quote by nightraven
^ the lovepedal 200lbs of tone would be a better choice than the big muff imo

K.
I don't know much about boutique pedals, so I'll take your word for it.
Does it have a dense, harmonically saturated sound?
Last edited by sashki at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6tF0s0lNs listen for yourself, it's designed to be violin-like

Yeah, I just watched that. Even though it is a pretty hefty fuzz tone, it doesn't sound all that violinear. I guess if you play single notes, it'll sound more like it. You don't often play the blues on a violin.