First thing's first, I play a B.C. Rich NT Jr. V. If you're unfamiliar with the specs of that guitar they can be found here: http://bcrich.com/v_jr_nt.asp
Secondly: the style I like to play is melodic metal. Stuff along the lines of Insomnium, Children of Bodom, Kalmah and Norther.

One main problem for me is that you can't try out a pickup before you buy it (or can you?), so it seems to me like it would be pretty hit and miss as to whether or not you like the sound of what you've just bought. You couldn't return a pickup if it turned out you hated the sound of it, could you?

I'd like to get 2 passive humbuckers (as I really don't think I can be bothered changing the batteries in an active pickup), one for the neck position and one for the bridge position.

Last thing I'd like to know some info on is, since some people are most probably going to reccomend active pickups anyway, active pickups. How often do you need to change the batteries? Would I need to drill into my guitar to increase the amount of space available for the pickup?

Any info you could give would be a real help
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I always recommend DiMarzio's and that you go to their website. They have a page were you answer a few questions and it suggests which pickups will give you the tone you're after. After that you can compare those to Seymour Duncans and make a choice from there.

Active pickups and battery life? They last something like 3000hrs of plug in time on one 9v battery and most guitars can fit a 9v battery in their control cavity & the pickups in the pickup cavity without any modification.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
You don't need to drill into the guitar just put batteries in control cavity and pick ups are standard size so no new routing there. I use EMG 81 in bridge and 85 in neck just like Zakk Wylde. They sound amazing!! As for the battery EMG says a battery will last 3000 hours I change mine about every three months and never had any problems. I rehearse twice a week and gig out 3-4 times a month.
Take a look at GFS (guitarfetish.com) pickups... If you're dropping the money and you miss, at least it will not be a lot of money.

I think the Crunchy Rails or Power Rails will cut it for you. There are a few vids on youtube
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
After looking at the Dimarzio site I'm considering the D Activator Bridge and Neck pickups. Another consideration is the Evolution pickups.
Any thoughts?
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I've never used the D Acitvator's cause they are pretty new but they may give you the best of both worlds. An active pickup sound from a passive pickup.

I have two guitars with Evo set's and a 7 string with Blazes (Steve's Special for six strings). The Evo's can take on a lot of different styles and the Blazes are more for crunch and distortion.
- Albert Einstein -
So would you reccomend the Evos? I know Insomnium uses Evos and they get a pretty killer tone out of them.
Another thought is the Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
So would you reccomend the Evos? I know Insomnium uses Evos and they get a pretty killer tone out of them.
Another thought is the Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

Yes, Evo's are awesome. I don't have any experience with Blackouts, so I can't really compare them for you.
- Albert Einstein -