I'm in the market to buy my second guitar and I've narrowed it down to a couple that I truely love. Ever since I picked up the Silverburst Epi LP, I've wanted it. But recently, I've found the ESP LTD EC-1000 with the EMGs. But then if I'm going to spend the money for the EC-1000, might as well save some more and get something even better but then that puts me into the US Made Gibsons, PRSes.

Would it be easier to buy the LP and put in new pickups that would handle distortion better or spend a little more money and get EMGs that suit my style of playing (Metallica,Sabbath, modern/classical rock) or just save and get something like a PRS Custom 24 or something similar?
I have a PRS custom 22 and a LP with EMGs and I prefer the PRS.
Save I tell you...
Save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gear
Guitars
PRS CE22
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
B.C.Rich Warlock Bronze series (raffle prize)
Pedals
Crybaby from Hell
Blackstar HT-Dual
Line 6 DL-4

Amp
Cornford Roadhouse 30
Quote by MustangMatt
I'm in the market to buy my second guitar and I've narrowed it down to a couple that I truely love. Ever since I picked up the Silverburst Epi LP, I've wanted it. But recently, I've found the ESP LTD EC-1000 with the EMGs. But then if I'm going to spend the money for the EC-1000, might as well save some more and get something even better but then that puts me into the US Made Gibsons, PRSes.

Would it be easier to buy the LP and put in new pickups that would handle distortion better or spend a little more money and get EMGs that suit my style of playing (Metallica,Sabbath, modern/classical rock) or just save and get something like a PRS Custom 24 or something similar?

to me a PRS custom 24 is the best guitar you can buy, but that's just me (and i've played A LOT of guitars)
Alright, so say I go with the the Epiphone LP...what pickups would be suited to that style of playing? I have so problem ripping apart a brand new guitar to make it perfect.

I would love to save enough for a PRS, don't get me wrong. Played one at Guitar Center and it felt driving a Corvette but I'm a college student and just bought a new car. Plus if I bought the best money could buy now, what would I have to look forward to.

I may just have to take another trip to GC to test out the guitars in question again.

Oh and to answer the amp question, I'm running a Yamaha strat copy through a Kustom Dual 35DFX with a EH Metal Muff.

And once I get the new guitar, I plan on converting this strat copy to a SSS instead of a HSS.
Quote by MustangMatt
Alright, so say I go with the the Epiphone LP...what pickups would be suited to that style of playing? I have so problem ripping apart a brand new guitar to make it perfect.

I would love to save enough for a PRS, don't get me wrong. Played one at Guitar Center and it felt driving a Corvette but I'm a college student and just bought a new car. Plus if I bought the best money could buy now, what would I have to look forward to.

I may just have to take another trip to GC to test out the guitars in question again.

Oh and to answer the amp question, I'm running a Yamaha strat copy through a Kustom Dual 35DFX with a EH Metal Muff.

And once I get the new guitar, I plan on converting this strat copy to a SSS instead of a HSS.

If you get the LP, switch out the pickups for dimarzio or EMG actives. i wouldnt buy a PRS as my second guitar, it's just too much for a second buy.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Now if I decide to go the LP w/ EMG route, will there be enough room in the cavity to place the battery? Plus, how difficult is it wiring active pickups in place of the stock passive ones? Specifically, I was looking to go the 81/60 route.

I actually am starting to lean towards LP route. I'll have something badass, unique and what I really want.
to me i think its dumb to get a les paul and stick emgs in it, cuz your ruining the great features and sustain that it offers, whereas you can take any mahogany piece of wood (or guitar) and stick emgs in it and it will sound like emgs
so you have a strat now, and you want something for metal? or do you want something to cover more than metal, cuz if you get emgs, its pretty much metal or nothing
if i were you i would do this if you can
keep your strat, get a les paul and get good middle gain sort of pickups, and then pickup something just for metal with emgs
that would work out best, and it might not cost as much as you think
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Not exactly...

I have a beginner Strat copy already...has a humbucker in it. I want a new guitar now since its around 4 years old and starting to fall apart. I'm looking at either the ESP LTD with EMGs or the LP, and thinking of putting better pickups in, be it EMGs or something else. On the whole, I'm shopping for a new guitar and looking for something that would suite the genre I play. The strat copy will be used as a project axe.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
Epiphone Les Paul, Silverburst
Quote by skaterkevin87
If you get the LP, switch out the pickups for dimarzio or EMG actives. i wouldnt buy a PRS as my second guitar, it's just too much for a second buy.

hey you have my sig

go wit the lp and switch out the stock pickups
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
but whats your genre exactly? its hard to use emgs for anything but metal thats what i'm saying
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I say get a new amp to improve the tone.
A new guitar won't sound much better through that crappy little custom ss.
First off, amp's out of the question. Got it last year...works fine for me now and it's not crappy. Plus if I keep playing with a guitar that keeps falling apart, it wont matter what amp I play on because I will no longer be able to play.

Genre...I play metal as in Metallica, Sabbath, then some classic rock like Led Zep. I also play the modern stuff like Breaking Benjamin, 3DG, Chevelle.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
Quote by MustangMatt
First off, amp's out of the question. Got it last year...works fine for me now and it's not crappy.

Genre...I play metal as in Metallica, Sabbath, then some classic rock like Led Zep. I also play the modern stuff like Breaking Benjamin, 3DG, Chevelle.

Develop an ear for tone than you'll know what I'm talking about, amps have more of an effect on tone than guitars. But you don't care bout that atm so....

Go for which ever one plays better
I understand where you're coming from and sorry for sounding ignorant when I'm the one asking for advice. I'm just saying, I just bought the amp last year, and I don't feel forking out money on a brand new amp, while still playing this POS is in the cards. If it's any consolation, I only play in my dorm room and the occasional basement jam session.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
yeah don't get emgs if you plan on using basically that one guitar, cuz it will suck for zeppelin, and probably sabbath
and yes, highway is right, new amp would be the best thing you could get
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I see where you're coming from
I would go with the Silverburst, would be much better for those lower gain tones, the EMGs really IMHO only function well with tube amplifiers.
I know a new amp will help my tone significantly and believe me, I wish I could afford a tube amp/better SS one. And yes, I have heard that EMGs are better on tube amps, it just didn't cross my mind until now. I guess I got a little excited by seeing the EMGs in action and forgot about practicality.

I have been looking at some DiMarzios and Seymour Duncans and doing research on those.

...wow, I'm studying about guitars more than I am for my finals, hah.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted some input.

After ditching the EMG idea, I was looking at some Seymour Duncan Distortions and reading up on those. Am I looking in the right direction considering pickups or should I be looking at something else? The majority of reviews I've read have come from people playing the same styles I do and have all raved about it.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
I would get the LTD EC-1000. Why? The Epi Silverburst is not solid mahogany. It's a mahogany alder sandwich. You could order the sunburst EC-1000, comes with a good set of Duncans.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio