Hey when I am restring the G string on the guitar, when i tune it up the string callopses and looses back to no pitch. How can I prevent this?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
It might just be the loops around the tuning peg that loosens, in that case just keep tuning up until it stops, works for me. And also make sure that the string isn't gliding out of the tuning peg. But you might have cut the string too short, in that case, too bad, try with a new string.

And of course it'll lose pitch for the first couple of days, just gotta live with that.
One, Trem or no trem?

two, Tuners. Do they suck?

Three, No, it doesn't really make much sense.
GTFO my sig
Quote by stef123
Hey when I am restring the G string on the guitar, when i tune it up the string callopses and looses back to no pitch. How can I prevent this?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

string is overtensed - you've probably cut it too short and therefore you will need to buy a new G string, sorry.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I have a trem bar but I have taken it off to restring it. Dunoo if it makes a difference but oh well.

I don't know what you mean by tuners, the tuning pegs? Cause if it is then they are OK.

Also I have not cut the string in any way, shape or form. Althought it has a little bend from where it was turned.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by anubiz03
It might just be the loops around the tuning peg that loosens, in that case just keep tuning up until it stops, works for me. And also make sure that the string isn't gliding out of the tuning peg. But you might have cut the string too short, in that case, too bad, try with a new string.

And of course it'll lose pitch for the first couple of days, just gotta live with that.

If you pull new strings upwards away from the fretboard carefully a few times and re-tune you should be able to take the stretch out of them so that you don't have to wait for them to naturally stretch and they will then keep their tuning

For OPs problem as others have said most likely slipping on the Machine-head(Pegs) or a bad machine head.On one occasion I did get a faulty string that unravelled at the ball=end as it took tension.

Also just for you

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE
Last edited by Sheppola at Dec 15, 2008,
lube the cuts in the guitar's nut.
make sure it's not snagging there and causing the string to slip. use a graphite tipped pencil.

lube contacts points. where the string runs over saddles. use light machine oil.

make sure you have 2 - 3 wraps around the tuner.
make sure the string is broken in a little.
if you have problems stringing then post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011