Hello,

I am looking for a guitar with the following specs:

1) Maple neck & fretboard (similar to Fender's)
2) Either 21, 22 or 24 frets
3) Any scale
4) Bridge humbucker preferred, but not necessary
5) Fixed bridge preferred
6) Under $600 (used is OK)

I was thinking of an MIM telecaster.

Also, what's a good distortion pedal for playing general all-around stuff (classic rock to metal) for under $150?

Thanks y'all!

EDIT: I love hard rock and metal, but have been playing more and more bluesy stuff lately. However, I'd like the guitar to be at least somewhat versatile.

EDIT 2: 21 frets is fine as well
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Last edited by KolosoK at Dec 15, 2008,
MIM Teles have 21 frets.

I vote you save up $150 more and get an HSS Highway 1 Strat (block the trem for your fixed bridge), or go with something like a PRS SE Custom w/ Stoptail bridge.

If you can live with 21 frets I'd suggest a MIM HSS Strat with at least a bridge pickup swap (block the trem for your fixed bridge).

EDIT: For distortion I like the MXR Distortion III's
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M115-Distortion-III-Pedal?sku=151048
Great for blues, classic rock, and hard rock. You may or may not be able to get a metal tone out of it depending on your amp.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Dec 15, 2008,
Fender fat strat/tele with a bucker.
+ Keeley ds1/ MI audio crunch box
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by B. Jammin
MIM Teles have 21 frets.

I vote you save up $150 more and get an HSS Highway 1 Strat (block the trem for your fixed bridge), or go with something like a PRS SE Custom w/ Stoptail bridge.

If you can live with 21 frets I'd suggest a MIM HSS Strat with at least a bridge pickup swap (block the trem for your fixed bridge).

EDIT: For distortion I like the MXR Distortion III's
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M115-Distortion-III-Pedal?sku=151048
Great for blues, classic rock, and hard rock. You may or may not be able to get a metal tone out of it depending on your amp.

My amp is in my sig (It's a 1980 Fender Vibro Champ with 12ax7s and one 6V6, which will soon be swapped to a 6L6 once my Weber speaker arrives, so it should be able to handle distortion well after the upgrade)

I totally forgot about the 21 fret thing :s I guess it's fine as well

I've never heard about the distortion pedal you recommended, I'll be sure to check it out.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)