I'm currently using a 30w Peavey practice amp, and it sucks, it just flat out sucks. I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm thinking about asking for a new amp for Christmas so with that said I don't really have a set budget but I'd like to keep it as low as possible. (Low being no more than $250, MAX and even then I might have to throw some money into it)

I don't care if I got a used amp, but since it'll more than likely be my Christmas gift I think it'll probably be new.

As for wattage I don't really care, as long as I can effectively use it to jam with a loud drummer.

I haven't really been looking around much, and it's kind of hard to try out amps when my Guitar Center's bass section is about the size of a closet. The only brands I would never consider are Peavey and Behringer.

I've heard a lot about Acoustic amps, and my friend's little brother just got a 100w Acoustic amp and an Ibanez SR705 (his first bass, lucky kid) as an early Christmas present. He got the amp for $250, and I'm going to go play my Corvette through it this week. I've heard nothing but good things about Acoustic so that's my number one choice right now, at least if I had to pick blind.

So any other brands I should check out? My GC is extremely limited and there's not much else around here for this kind of stuff... so I'll do my best to check out any suggestions.

The other thing I was wondering about are Monster Cables. My best cable stopped working last week, and I was planning on picking up a new instrument cable this week... I was looking around the GC site and saw that Monster also makes a bass cable. Is there anything special about it or should I just get a regular Monster cable?

Thanks for any help.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Last edited by gywo copta at Dec 15, 2008,
As for the amp, it's very solid. I've played a couple of that exact model and it's a great practice amp.

As for the Monster Bass cable, it's nice. I just got one and it's louder and much clearer than a regular cable. I didn't notice a boost in the bass frequencies like people have said that that cable has, but it's definitely a solid cable I don't regret buying. It's got the lifetime warranty and it's got a high build quality. That plus the tone warrants the price tag, seeing as you'll never buy another cable again.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Monster's claims about their products improving tone are a load of crap.

People swear by them, you say? Guess what, they are rationalizing and hearing things that aren't actually there so as to not have to acknowledge that they got swindled.

The only person who you could accurately ask about the tone would be someone comparing a Monster and a regular cable without knowing which is which.

Don't waste your money. With that said, don't get the cheapest thing there.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
I read a thread about monster bass cables just the other day...and the majority of people said it didn't make a difference. I might find in a sec...

As for amps, I've heard good about acoustic and ashdown, those will be the main ones suggested here. I've got an ampeg BA-115, it's ok but I think you can do better. I don't know if your looking for a combo or head an cab(s). Also, if you say what kind of music you play, the people who know stuff will be better able to help you.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I'm into all sorts of music. This isn't a full blown rig so I think there's some room for variety. I don't care if it's a combo or a head/cab, but with my price range I think I'll have to do combo. I think GK has some affordable heads (I don't mean the Goldline) but it's the cab that would be killer.

Anyway, the people I jam with are mostly into bluesy-rock and just general rock and metal. I'm into punchy and burpy bass tones for the most part.

To be honest about Monster, I only know two people with their cables but they both love them. But samskii, do you mean that the bass cable Monster makes doesn't make a difference, or Monster cables in general just didn't make a difference?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I have a 200w Acoustic and I really love it. I've never played a Monster bass cable but I like regular Monsters. I've noticed a very slight change in tone compared to really cheap cables but that's the cheapness of the others. Monsters are good cables though, reliable and pretty long lasting.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
dont buy a monster for tone (that part is bs indeed), get it because it is a cable that wont crap out on you. I've pulled a 200 watt amp (with a 75 watter on top of it) about 3 feet by jumping too far. I've had a guy spill his soda on it. I've had a dog chew on it.

it is the sturdiest cable ever.

and might I add that Acoustic is amazing? I'd get a little extra money though, it is way better when you can boost over that drummer. B200 combo?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, what the humanity said, no tone difference, but they are almost indestructible.
I have:

Oh lordy, don't listen to me, I haven't been running sound for the last five years and I haven't been trained to tell the tonal differences between equipment...

I mean, why bother with a $15 cable when you could get a 20 gauge plastic cable for $3? You'll only be able to tell the difference in tone when A-Bing them, right? When you are actually able to tell the difference between tones, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Listen, if I didn't think that it was worth the money, I wouldn't have dropped the money on it. It's super-sturdy, has a lifetime warranty and sounds better than regular cables.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
Oh lordy, don't listen to me, I haven't been running sound for the last five years and I haven't been trained to tell the tonal differences between equipment...

I mean, why bother with a $15 cable when you could get a 20 gauge plastic cable for $3? You'll only be able to tell the difference in tone when A-Bing them, right? When you are actually able to tell the difference between tones, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Listen, if I didn't think that it was worth the money, I wouldn't have dropped the money on it. It's super-sturdy, has a lifetime warranty and sounds better than regular cables.

the tone change isn't very great unless your local cable makers are truly awful. you can hear a little less static. I'll give you that.

but maybe it's the cables where I live, the cheapest ones run about 7 bucks as opposed to 3.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I didn't say that they are not worth it, I just meant that I can't tell the difference. If you can, then good. I can't, so it doesn't seem worth it to me to buy for tone. Now, I do use monster, because they replace, no questions asked, and cuz they just don't break unless you cut them, almost. I can't tell the difference in tone, but I'm not trained to. If tone were the only difference, and it was the same amount of difference, then it wouldn't matter to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to call you an idiot, I just can't tell the difference. And if someone is going to ask about it, they won't be able to tell, either.
I have:

The tone difference is a little iffy. The cost to tone difference ratio is abhorrent. But the cost to quality ratio isn't too bad. I wouldn't pay any extra for the bass one, but their cables are all high quality stuff that probably will last a long time. Plus, the no questions asked return guarantee is impressive and it also means the cable will pay for itself eventually.
Quote by t3hrav3n

Of course it will improve your tone but when you havent been playing for a while the tone change is so slight its barely noticable. Also they really do take abuse and not break.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Sorry if I came off mad, I just tend to be short and sarcastic.

If you can't personally tell the difference, that's fine, but there is a noticeable one when you can tell, and when you can tell, it's a nice little plus that further justifies the price tag.

*much prefers the subtleties of talking face to face.*
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist