Do you guys think schools should block internet sites like Wikipedia? How can we get around this? Ive tried proxies, but most times they pretty much fail, due to blockage by Lightspeed Systems Inc.
"You can't be something you're not..." -Pantera

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

In soviet Russia, The LULZ do it for you
Yeah school should totally block potentially educational sites because they know best.
didnt you just make a thread about this you naughty boy?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
dude i totally agree education is bad according to educators

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

lol ur school blocked wikipedia. Your school is fail
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

If it makes somebodys day in school that little bit worse then I'm all for it. I also think school computers should tell you that your parents have died in a fire at random intervals, just to keep kids on their toes
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Tatersalad1080
didnt you just make a thread about this you naughty boy?

yea but somebody blocked it cause i was being directly honest

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

Wikipedia is a horrible source of information as far as academia is concerned. Quote wiki in an essay where I am and they'll fail you. Why? Because it's unreliable and open to subtle vandalism which ends up providing difficult to see, misleading information.

Use the internet more inventively.
My school purposely blocked wikipedia coz someone gave it a bad review on there.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Wikipedia is debatable because it is somewhat biased in the sense it only posts information that the majority agrees on and it is made by people without any regard for their credibility.

Did you try freegate?

It works for me all the time.

In fact i'm on my facebook in my school library right now.
hue
My old school blocked the search results for 'reading' when typed into google. Was because of the Reading festival but still...
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
use asian and russian proxies. or try to set up your computer at home as a proxy.
Quote by nightraven
did you just reply to your own post?

o i guess i did...i meant to reply 2 that other guys post cause he said something bout the internet bein bad...

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

Quote by Supertait
My old school blocked the search results for 'reading' when typed into google. Was because of the Reading festival but still...

Oh my God. That is hilarious. Even funnier is I live here, in Reading, and went to the festival.
My school's filter isn't as ridiculous as yours. We can't get on MySpace, Facebook, YouTube etc.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Wikipedia's going a bit far. MySpace fair enough.... but still. A lot of people seem to think that it can be edited by anybody... but that's no longer true so it's a bit unfair. It should be used with caution when stating facts but it shouldn't be blocked.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by boreamor
My high school blocked their own website. Seriously.

Lulz

My school's blocker page (the page that is displayed instead of the site you try to go to) is installed into the computers themselves and can be deleted by dragging and clicking.

Absolutely foolproof system.
hue
TS, the school shouldn't even be allowing YOU on the internet, seems like you need more english lessons and maybe a spelling test!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wikipedia's going a bit far. MySpace fair enough.... but still. A lot of people seem to think that it can be edited by anybody... but that's no longer true so it's a bit unfair. It should be used with caution when stating facts but it shouldn't be blocked.

Back in my day I would just type in "hitler" on Wiki and receive lulz instantly.
hue
im pretty sure the IT guy at our school got fired cause i kept breaking through the filter with proxies. then they hired a new guy who actually knew what he was doing just to shut me down... bastards...
Shouldn't block Wiki, as a whole it is pretty accurate, but it has some pretty bad bits.

It's OK if you just want to find something out quickly.

EDIT:

Quote by DeadlyKombat
im pretty sure the IT guy at our school got fired cause i kept breaking through the filter with proxies. then they hired a new guy who actually knew what he was doing just to shut me down... bastards...

Our IT guy got his Admin privileges taken away because he was randomly changing people's passwords and blocking stuff like Bitesize.

The new one with privileges is incompetent. Seriously, 95% of us use a proxy called 'Hidemyass.com' to go on youtube, myspace or whatever. Even the teachers use it, but he hasn't blocked it yet.
Last edited by TEK34 at Dec 15, 2008,
Our schools network admin hates me now :P
Because now I'm in 6th form I bring my laptop in. I had bittorrent running in the background and didnt realise so he blocked me from using the school internet - I could connect to the network but I got the schools "WEBSITE BLOCKED" page on google =/.

So after a bit of research I managed to unblock myself. Then he managed to block me again. I unblocked myself again. He blocked me yet again and I unblocked myself a third time.

I've not been blocked again and he knows my name and face. But I know where he lives *evil laugh*
cos he lives down the street from me.

I cannot be beaten! Mwahahaha.

He came into my IT class today to talk to my teacher about something then when he was leaving he tried to stare me down so i smiled and winked at him. He didn't know what to do so he left. :P

It's so tempting to go into his office when he's not there and leave him a massive note (or even netsend) saying "SUCK IT BITCH! YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!"
or something along those lines
i love art college, they dont block anything as the principal says freedom of information is more important than offending people
Quote by slogankid1
lol ur school blocked wikipedia. Your school is fail

wikipedia blocked our school for 1 year, because some people were basically abusing it, and writing non-article related information in the pages.
Quote by webbtje
Wikipedia is a horrible source of information as far as academia is concerned. Quote wiki in an essay where I am and they'll fail you. Why? Because it's unreliable and open to subtle vandalism which ends up providing difficult to see, misleading information.

Use the internet more inventively.

We've got a winnar!

My high school never blocked wikipedia because nobody wrote a paper without using it. I would use wiki to get a general idea and then check the sited sources to get the good stuff. I didn't use it as a source, I used it to find my sources easier than through google.
i think maybe instead of blocking websites, we should have a 30 minute common sense class for teachers. the topics:

1. the kids who sit in the back r playing games, they just dont have really good eyesight
2. the ones with red eyes have red eyes not from colored contacts
3. chances r if ur student clicks out of a website really quick, it was bad, not a computer glitch
4. ur students r on addicting games because they r playing games, not studying for their presentation on ADD in health class

these r all 4 excuses i have used on stupid teachers...and they work. alot of teachers r kinda out of touch with reality cuz they r in school their whole lives. preschool, elementary, junior high, highschool, college for 4-8 years, then back to a school. what they lack in common sense they make up for in book smarts, when a teacher has both, i consider them a good teacher, cuz alot can't relate things to everyday life.