Hey my fellow guitarists. I need to take my rg out into the cold nebraska winter to take lessons for a couple months and I was just wondering how will the cold affect my guitar if at all?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
As long as your guitar is not left out in the snow and is kept inside it will be okay. Dont leave near anything warm as this could warp the wood. The only thing you'll find is that if you go from hot to cold temps the tuning will be out as the metal and the string will expand/contract. When it heats up to the same temp as the surroundings nothing will have changed.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
As long as your guitar is not left out in the snow and is kept inside it will be okay. Dont leave near anything warm as this could warp the wood. The only thing you'll find is that if you go from hot to cold temps the tuning will be out as the metal and the string will expand/contract. When it heats up to the same temp as the surroundings nothing will have changed.

Cool just wondering cause I have to drive to omaha for my lessons and its about a 30 minute drive but I will be warming my car up before hand. So it will only mess up tuning temporarly and I wont have to retune when I get there?

Thanks for the help btw
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
What's the problem, just tune it when you're there and that's it. I'm sure it won't be tuned, no matter the temperature, the expansion/contraction will surely affect the tuning.
Dude I've got a RG350EX and whenever I leave it near an open window it throws itself out of tune... Just make sure you keep it in a bag and store it somewhere warm when your not playing it and it should be fine
You will probably need to retune/setup at some point as the difference in humidity etc will cause your axe to sound/play a bit off.

Make sure to have a decent case or gig bag as well to protect it from direct exposure, and if you can help it, DO NOT leave it in an extremly cold location for too long case or no case.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Dude I've got a RG350EX and whenever I leave it near an open window it throws itself out of tune... Just make sure you keep it in a bag and store it somewhere warm when your not playing it and it should be fine

Yeah its normally in my house which is usually about a constant 70 degrees
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
ya and if you take it from two extreme temperature differences (i.e. cold to hot) i have read many places that you should slowly let the guitar get used to the new temperature or else it can severly warp. i just moved to boulder for college from san francisco so im in the same spot man
So in summary it SHOULD only affect my tuning?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Pretty much. There are exceptional cases, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

You should be more worried about the effect the cold has on your fingers, it's a pain in the ass trying to play when you're freezing, lol
Quote by slickerthnsleek
You should be more worried about the effect the cold has on your fingers, it's a pain in the ass trying to play when you're freezing, lol

Hell yeah! Especially when it's something you know you can play but can't because your fingers won't let you
yeah it should be fine in the case.
my guitars:
~Epiphone: Zakk wylde- custom bullseye
~Dean cadillac select
~JACKSON: JS30-RR-RANDY RHOADS
~epiphone: Les Paul Special-II
~crestwood: acoustic electric
~rogue: acoustic guitar
~Kay: electric Guitar strat body style (my 1st guitar)
Last edited by Ep1986 at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Pretty much. There are exceptional cases, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

ha ha yeah I plan to arrive early so that both my guitar and hands have sufficent time to warm up before my lesson. I have an ibanez soft case for it right now.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Haha! I just played the other day outside. It's freezing over here so I taped a hand warmer to the backside of each hand. Helped out some but yeah it's a bit frustrating. I didn't trust the cold over here so I bought a cheap guitar. It has been left out in freezing cold and right after was placed next to a heater. I haven't noticed any warping or cracking. Just goes in and out of tune depending on the temp.