I'm in the market for a wah pedal right now. I'm just wondering, is there a pedal that sounds quite transparent (true bypass-ish) in the on position? I don't particularly like that toppy, shrill sound of a wah pedal in the on position but I certainly like the somewhat vocal sweep the pedal gives you.
If not, is there some way I can modify something (I.E. Crybaby) to make it more transparent?
wait, what? can you rephrase that at all, i dont think i understand what your asking.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
wait, what? can you rephrase that at all, i dont think i understand what your asking.

I thought I made it pretty clear. Oh well.
I'm looking for a wah pedal which, when pressed down into the "on" position, doesn't add all that extra top end you get with most wahs, like a crybaby.

And I'll look into the Vox, thanks.
Well any wah pedal is going to give you an over-accentuated top end in the toe down position, there are some wah pedals that preserve your tone a little more than others, but in the end they all color your sound pretty heavily.

Look at RMC Teese wahs or the Fulltone Clyde. The top end is still trebly, but it's not shrill and unmusical like in the Crybaby or Vox v847.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Well any wah pedal is going to give you an over-accentuated top end in the toe down position, there are some wah pedals that preserve your tone a little more than others, but in the end they all color your sound pretty heavily.

Is that down to the way the pedal works though, or is there some way I can remove the nasal top end through modifications?
Quote by Rock Pig
Is that down to the way the pedal works though, or is there some way I can remove the nasal top end through modifications?

for the most part, that is inherent to way pedals. crybabies are notorious for sounding like that, the better the wah the better it will sound, if thats what your asking.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Rock Pig

That's just what a wah does. I'm a little confused as to what you want. No matter what it is going to have some effect on your tone. Even in the middle position the guitar signal going through the wah pedal doesn't sound exactly like the bypass signal.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=99&CategoryID=

You're going to get that trebley top end no matter what with the toe down, that's just what wah pedals do. But a wah like the one I posted here actually sounds good when it's being used. You can actually use them in the middle position and actually get close to a bypass tone as opposed to the harsh tone of a Crybaby.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 15, 2008,
Go with something like a Morley Optical and just make a stopper so you can't slam into the higher portion. And with then you dont have to toe it down to turn it on. Other then that your going to have a hunt on your hands...
Quote by al112987
I'm a little confused as to what you want.

A pedal which in the toe down position has no apparent impact on tone, but sounds pretty much the same as a regular wah in the heel down and retains when rocked the crude approximation of the syllable "wah" when spoken by the human voice.
I'm not demanding anything really, I'm just interested to see if such a thing exists, if not what the closest thing I can get is, or indeed whether it's possible to modify one to get close.
Well you can certainly modify one for less treble, it is not very difficult but you'll be losing a lot of sweep range. Again you'd need to do it on a good wah pedal that gives you at least a decent approximation of your bypass tone somewhere in the sweep. I don't know how you'd feel about buying a $200-$300 wah pedal and then dicking with it, but that's pretty much what you'd have to do. You could use a cheaper wah but then you'd end up getting a real muffled and compressed sounding middle position sound which I don't think anyone would want.
Quote by Rock Pig
A pedal which in the toe down position has no apparent impact on tone, but sounds pretty much the same as a regular wah in the heel down and retains when rocked the crude approximation of the syllable "wah" when spoken by the human voice.
I'm not demanding anything really, I'm just interested to see if such a thing exists, if not what the closest thing I can get is, or indeed whether it's possible to modify one to get close.

when you put it in the tow down position, it emphasizes higher frequencies, when its in the middle, it accentuates mid frequencies, the point of a wah pedal IS to have an apparent impact on tone.
true bypass on a wah pedal is great, however it only helps when the pedal is off, so that it can truely bypass it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.