Hey guys,

Just a quick question... When I play really quick (well, quick for me) stuff like All That Remains - Two Weeks, the verse riff, my picking hand is fine in the beginning of the song, but as it goes on my picking hand starts to tense up really bad. It starts burning and I eventually have to rest for a while before carrying on. It burns all the way up my forearm.

My question is thus what can I do so stop this tension in my arm?

Any tips would be appreciated!!!
Quote by Aguamento

I'm glad he handled it calmly. Joe Satriani should realize that with only 7 notes in the world, some songs are going to sound similar.

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
Quote by CrAzE124
Hey guys,

Just a quick question... When I play really quick (well, quick for me) stuff like All That Remains - Two Weeks, the verse riff, my picking hand is fine in the beginning of the song, but as it goes on my picking hand starts to tense up really bad. It starts burning and I eventually have to rest for a while before carrying on. It burns all the way up my forearm.

My question is thus what can I do so stop this tension in my arm?

Any tips would be appreciated!!!

keep practicing and you'll get better.
if it seizes up, stop playing and try again later.

it might help to do some warm up and streches before hand also...
how long ya been playing? it happened to me in "one" when i first learned it (last year,started in aug. 27) and just play it maybe 20-35 times and you wont notice, and dont play 30 times a day, play like 3-4 times a day and it'll be gone soon
trust me
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
try to relax more while playing, and just practice fast stuff more
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
I've been playing about a year.

And thanx Prison Sex but when I try and relax my speed goes way down... Oh well... Looks like I'll be working on my picking technique for the next 5 weeks...
Quote by Aguamento

I'm glad he handled it calmly. Joe Satriani should realize that with only 7 notes in the world, some songs are going to sound similar.

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
hello? read mah post, its tells you the truth
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
My bad... It's a bit late here in South Africa I'm kinda tired...

Thanx for the input!
Quote by Aguamento

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
Quote by EdawMail
keep practicing and you'll get better.
if it seizes up, stop playing and try again later.

it might help to do some warm up and streches before hand also...

Wrong.
Your telling him to continue playing with tension further burning this feeling into his muscle memory.

Ts wont like this but he should really slow down and play at a speed that he can play tension free : relaxed and accurate. Then slowly increase speed. Fatigue is fine but if your burning up and cant finish one song then you definatly have a technique problem not an endurance problem. Your most likely tensing your forearm up to pick faster beacuse of not enough slow practice with the proper loose relaxed wrist picking action. Continuing to play from a tense forearm will NOT make you better it will reinforce bad technique making it progressivly harder to correct.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Wrong.
Your telling him to continue playing with tension further burning this feeling into his muscle memory.

Ts wont like this but he should really slow down and play at a speed that he can play tension free : relaxed and accurate. Then slowly increase speed. Fatigue is fine but if your burning up and cant finish one song then you definatly have a technique problem not an endurance problem. Your most likely tensing your forearm up to pick faster beacuse of not enough slow practice with the proper loose relaxed wrist picking action. Continuing to play from a tense forearm will NOT make you better it will reinforce bad technique making it progressivly harder to correct.

Finally a sensible place.

If you tense up stop playing and go back?

Do you warmup before hand? Or do you just go straight into the song?
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Wrong.

This. Thanx for the help I just started using a metronome and will definitely take the advice and practice riffs etc slowly then progressively faster.

Quote by Dan
Finally a sensible place.

If you tense up stop playing and go back?

Do you warmup before hand? Or do you just go straight into the song?

I don't go back I just rest a sec and then go on. And no I don't warm up... Very bad habit I know... I should probably start doing that!!!
Quote by Aguamento

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks