Hello everyone!

This seemed the best place to put this thread.. So here goes

I recently brought an adaptor which allows me to go from my amp straight into my laptop. I downloaded Audacity to record, as a friend had reccommended this. Now, whenever I'm trying to record, the guitar sounds... Different to how it comes out the amp, with the guitar even sounding distorted when the amp is on clean.

Just wondering how you guys record with Audacity?
Sorry if I've been abit brief, if there's anything else I can tell you to help, please ask
Cheers
lower the input volume to about 0.3. the distortion you hear is probably clipping
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Sorry, wrong forum

Honestly though, your amp won't sound the same unless you actually mic it, usually if you use the line out, it sounds different. I'm not an expert on the field, but I think thats right.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
agree. try messing with different gain knobs if that doesn't work.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
You should move this to the Recordings thread dude. Haha I used Goldwave though. Its very simple and allows me to add effects and really whatever I want.
Whats a sig?
its usually volume for me, i had that same problem recently
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
Ah, sorry... How do I move my thread? And in reply anyways... I'm coming from the Recording Out from my amp... So it should work.

Tried turning the gain down, but the guitar just sounds different to how it sounds when I take the recording lead out. I could just use my laptop, as it has a mic in it, but you also pick up the scraping of my pic against the strings when doing chords, as well as the chords, I was hoping this cable would work to stop this, which it does... But the guitar sounds so.. Different.
Quote by iceman_8319
Honestly though, your amp won't sound the same unless you actually mic it, usually if you use the line out, it sounds different. I'm not an expert on the field, but I think thats right.

This.

Your amp sound is an output of the speaker you're using. When you DI to your computer, the sound is dependent on the output your computer speakers, which I assume are worse quality than your amp.

Quote by The Gore Child
Ah, sorry... How do I move my thread? And in reply anyways... I'm coming from the Recording Out from my amp... So it should work.

Tried turning the gain down, but the guitar just sounds different to how it sounds when I take the recording lead out. I could just use my laptop, as it has a mic in it, but you also pick up the scraping of my pic against the strings when doing chords, as well as the chords, I was hoping this cable would work to stop this, which it does... But the guitar sounds so.. Different.

Turn the gain of your laptop mic down and put it closer to the amp than you. If your guitar lead is long enough, go outside the room to record so the mic doesn't pick up pick noises.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Dec 15, 2008,
To February Star... Cheers! I think this is what I'll have to do... I would've thought it would've sounded better through the lead...

Thanks anyways!