So I'm looking for a new amp, and was wondering if you guys could help me narrow it down a little (I posted a thread a few days ago and now I'm just trying to decide between these options).

I play mostly high gain stuff, Metal, Hardcore, etc. I also play a little grunge and classic stuff but the former few are more important.

I can get the Vypyr 30 + the Sanpera II pedal when it comes out, or I can wait around and hope to find one of the following on craigslist ($400-450, prefer to keep it at the minimum though):

Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT-212
and maybe an XXX if I'm lucky.

I can also do ebay though I'm a LITTLE weary of that; is it easy to get screwed there or should I consider it a viable option?

Thanks.
b-52
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ebay is a safew choice but should still be your last one, i think you should go for the vyper with the pedal, better to get high quality gear for a high price than to get something less and eventually have to upgrade anyway
Quote by masterbait
ebay is a safew choice but should still be your last one, i think you should go for the vyper with the pedal, better to get high quality gear for a high price than to get something less and eventually have to upgrade anyway

Thanks for your feedback. : )

There have been some issues with the Vypyr, and even if I got one that worked flawlessly, I'm afraid it might break down at some point. The other tube amps seem to be high quality, and are actually more expensive than the Vypyr itself.

Right now I'm leaning towards one of the tube amps + an OD pedal if I had enough left over.

Does anyone else have input?
Whats your budget? If you can find a XXX, buy it. The XXX is a really good high gain amp, thats very versatile. But, if you can find a used 5150 for cheap, that'd be good. Only bad part about the 5150 is... its not very versatile, sounds way more amazing louder than quieter.
$400-450. The 5150/6505 is out of my reach, sadly. Part of the reason I want to get one of those tube amps is because it'll have higher resale value than the Vypyr, allowing me to sell it to fund my next purchase (likely a 6505). The XXX will be harder to find at $400 than the others (I can get an RG50TC online for ~$350).
Seeing your budget, I'd personally recommend a Peavey Valveking 112 with a Digitech Bad Monkey. I've heard that can get ya a good tone. But I've also heard that Valvekings arent made for heavey metal. They can do metal, but werent made for it.
Don't get the Valveking if you are going to play metal.

I have the RG50TC and it has gain out the ass and sounds pretty good and for 350 thats a good deal seeing as they are like 600 new now.

But as always play it before you buy...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by rush.PR
$400-450. The 5150/6505 is out of my reach, sadly. Part of the reason I want to get one of those tube amps is because it'll have higher resale value than the Vypyr, allowing me to sell it to fund my next purchase (likely a 6505). The XXX will be harder to find at $400 than the others (I can get an RG50TC online for ~$350).

I've seen 5150's sell for $500.
I'm going to try one out for that price soon, and hopefully buy it.
Save up like $100 and watch CL.
Why worry about selling a ****ty amp when you are already so close to the one you want?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
It's that I doubt I'll be able to find one for that price in any reasonable amount of time. I've been checking every day and haven't seen anything of interest. I know it's a matter of patience and I'm willing to wait, but it just feels like it will NEVER show up.
IMO, XXXes are better than the 6505 for everything except ultrabr00t4lz and the XXX doesn't do them badly at all either...

The B-52 AT112 is going for $360 at Musician's Friend now, so you may want to check that out instead of waiting around.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
IMO, XXXes are better than the 6505 for everything except ultrabr00t4lz and the XXX doesn't do them badly at all either...

The B-52 AT112 is going for $360 at Musician's Friend now, so you may want to check that out instead of waiting around.

WOW that's a BIG price cut
+1
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Wow. I think I'll do that, then. Do you guys think I should use the leftover for an OD pedal or something? Could also grab an EQ.
B-52's sound amazing for everything, especially Metal and Jazz. Don't get a modeling SS amp when you can get an amazing tube amp.
Yeah, I saw your review, I liked it : ) I'm probably going to order one. Now I need to decide what I want to go with it. The OD pedal sounds nice, and a cheap EQ could go along if I had the cash (Fish n Chips?).
Quote by rush.PR
Yeah, I saw your review, I liked it : ) I'm probably going to order one. Now I need to decide what I want to go with it. The OD pedal sounds nice, and a cheap EQ could go along if I had the cash (Fish n Chips?).

Try a Tubescreamer of Bad Monkey if your on a budget, and buy a MXR 10 band eq or a Fish n Chips if on a budget. You should try a Noise Supressor too, they can get pretty noisy.
Anyone like the new Vox VT series amplifiers???? 22 amps, 12 effects, sound amazing????
2004 Epi SG w/ "The Original Sin"
SD JB, SD P-Rails, Graphtech nut and bridge,
Maestro vibrato, 1 volume, rest disengaged.
Vox V847a
Digitech DF-7
DOD 7-band EQ
Vox AC-50 Classic Plus
One perfect fiancee..