Page 1 of 2
I have measured my plate voltage, where i got 440 when stanby was on and 450 when standby was off,

now ive put on a bias probe connected to my multimeter, for one of the two powertubes,

but it says its 20,0 mV when its set on DC volt , and when i put on the mA thing on the multimeter it says 06.83

so what does this mean?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

o_O Makes little sense to me. It should read around 40mA no? Did you turn it off standby for the reading and did you let it warm up a bit? Also, make sure the mA is set to a 200 scale
WTLTL 2011
yeah , warm and ready, thats why i think its weird

200 scale is something i should be able to set on the multimeter?

yeah

let me forward you an email I got about biasing from eurotubes
WTLTL 2011
I sent it as a PM lol. Howd you get a kaboom with that adapter???
WTLTL 2011
I'm going to assume that you're measuring across a cathode resistor? The reason why your current reading is off is because your multimeter is in parallel across the cathode resistor. To measure current you need to have the multimeter in SERIES. The point of having the 1 ohm cathode resistor there at all is so you can read off the current as the V/R. You don't actually directly measure the current. Your idle current is 20 mA.

Another note: placing an ammeter in parallel with a resistor will usually short circuit and either blow a fuse or fry the instrument.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by Mark G
I sent it as a PM lol. Howd you get a kaboom with that adapter???

i tried to do it like the guy on the eurotubes video with only multimeter, for it to not kaboom the red and black wire need to be in place before the power is on, which i have learned now :P

Quote by al112987
I'm going to assume that you're measuring across a cathode resistor? The reason why your current reading is off is because your multimeter is in parallel across the cathode resistor. To measure current you need to have the multimeter in SERIES. The point of having the 1 ohm cathode resistor there at all is so you can read off the current as the V/R. You don't actually directly measure the current. Your idle current is 20 mA.

Another note: placing an ammeter in parallel with a resistor will usually short circuit and either blow a fuse or fry the instrument.

could you tell me how to set the multimeter up if i show you a picture of it?

Last edited by Jaekae at Dec 15, 2008,
I don't think that is necessary. You've said everything you need, all you need to do is

1) have the plate voltage (with your tubes installed)
2) have a reading for your idle current which is going to be equal to the mV.

Again, you don't need to measure the current directly. You're measuring the voltage across a 1 ohm resistor, so the current is just going to be that voltage/1 ohm which gives your your idle current. What you need to do is to just get that idle current into correct range so you get somewhere between 60-70% of the tube's maximum plate dissipation when you multiply your idle current by your plate voltage.

I'm just curious as to whether or not your multimeter still works.
^ so you say that what i get as 20 mV, should be 45 mV ?

and how would i do this :

"Another note: placing an ammeter in parallel with a resistor will usually short circuit and either blow a fuse or fry the instrument."

?

You mean that if i set the multimeter on mA it could damage the multimeter? or damage the amp?

40-45 mA should be about right. I think, at least that was the way I was taught to bias my own amp (Marshall), but it's kind of a generic way of biasing amps ASSUMING that your amp has that 1 ohm (I think 5 watt) resistor that goes from the cathode to ground.

and yes, that can damage your multimeter.

Also a disclaimer, don't go prodding around in there, use one hand at a time when going under the amp's chassis if that is where the bias pot trimmer is, and wear rubber soled shoes. There are lethal voltages and everything is grounded to the chassis.

Edit: if you're doing this with your ENGL, here is a guide that I found by quick google search...

http://forum.lordriffenstein.com/viewtopic.php?t=79&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
i bought a electric classed screwdriver, if i only touch the screwdriver ill be fine right?

Ok, did the probe come with a guide? because different probes work different ways, some ask you to measure the bias current, others use a 1 ohm resistor and ask you to measure a voltage (which is what I was telling you to do)
nope i got nothing with the probe

when i measure the stock tubes, they say 38 mV, with the bias pot at stock setting,

and with these JJ,s tubes it says only 20 mV with stock bias pot setting,

and it only went up 2-3 mV when bias pot was set on maximum ( i did increase very slow to see if anything happened)

Ok.

I think it's a tube thing then. Are these 6L6gc's? Or el-34s? I've heard of cases where people could not bias their tubes to 70%.
its JJ 6L6GC s

think its a specific failure with these tubes, or will it be same if i buy new JJ,s ?

Biasing scares the crap out of me

why are you measuring mV when you should be measuring mA anyway?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Biasing scares the crap out of me

why are you measuring mV when you should be measuring mA anyway?

because of that 1 ohm resistor thing that al112987 talked about, i think

a resistor doesn't change volts to amps... You should get a friggen mA reading between prolly 30 and 50 mA with that probe of yours set to read mA with a 400 scale. I checked that thing of yours and you can set it to 400mA...not 200. 400mA will be ok.

Dial it in to the mA scale and Im guessing that yellow button sets the scale? Not sure if you are measuring AC or DC...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
a resistor doesn't change volts to amps... You should get a friggen mA reading between prolly 30 and 50 mA with that probe of yours set to read mA with a 400 scale. I checked that thing of yours and you can set it to 400mA...not 200. 400mA will be ok.

Dial it in to the mA scale and Im guessing that yellow button sets the scale? Not sure if you are measuring AC or DC...

No, there are different bias probes, there is one type that places your meter between the cathode and ground so you read a current that way. The second one puts a 1 ohm resistor between cathode and ground and measures the voltage across the 1 ohm resistor. Which by V=IR will tell you the cathode current.

Edit: Do not forget to drain your caps before placing the amp back into the chassis. Do not forget to do this. Those caps will hold charge for weeks if not drained. Turning your amp off and unplugging it does not do ****. These are the most dangerous parts of the amp, one terminal is grounded, while the other is connected to other components in the amp which is why must only use one hand at a time when working inside the amp (I always put my other hand in my pocket)
i know almost nothing about how electric stuff works :P

When i press the yellow button the display says AC and Trms instead of DC

I dont know whaty Trms mean..