So for the longest time I have been trying to learn how to play Prog Rock. However, I have no idea where to start. I have previously tried to write pieces of music but they always ending up sound so... boring. Basically, if I wanna start learning to play progressive rock, how should I go about this? If it helps, the bands I listen to now in this genre are An Endless Sporadic, Rush, Dream Theater, Mars Volta, and Pink Floyd (though I'm not 100% sure Floyd is progressive).
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
I've learned several Rush and Pink Floyd songs and "Impulse", but it hasn't seemed to help much.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by stephen_rettie
do you know much theory? most prog is pretty theory heavy

I know a good amount of theory, but I am not at, say, Steve Vai's level.
use a few tempo changes and unusual time signitures. creating ridiuclous stuff on guitar pro is a gud way of forming ideas i find
failing that do what floyd did in the early days and trip on acid then write about it
Quote by Reddaz
use a few tempo changes and unusual time signitures. creating ridiuclous stuff on guitar pro is a gud way of forming ideas i find

Okay, I'll try doing the guitar pro thing. Thanks for the help everyone.
What about alternate tunings. Should I try them?
Start learning the songs or even sections of songs that have a similar sound to the stuff you're trying to write. Analyze them by figuring out what common chords, voicings, scales, melodies, patterns, etc are used. You'll often find that any genre of music has many specific and recurring examples of each of the previous items I've mentioned that help give that genre its unique sound. And don't be afraid to get specific; simple things like how quickly you bend a note up to the next or whether the notes are clean and composed or a bit "sloppy" and thrown in or improvised vary greatly from genre to genre.
Last edited by PSM at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by SpockTheRock
What about alternate tunings. Should I try them?

I don't think you need to worry about playing around with alternate tunings yet. If you are feeling creative, there's no reason not to but there are many big prog bands and guitarists that never change out of regular tuning and yet still throw down benchmark after benchmark in the genre.
FLoyd can also be seen as Psychedelic rock. But if u take "Progressive" as a mind set, which I find far more logical, then they are progressive, since they deviate from normal standards, and don't write (At least the early stuff) for monetary purposes.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by SpockTheRock
I've learned several Rush and Pink Floyd songs and "Impulse", but it hasn't seemed to help much.

You need to learn lots of songs. Don't always look for results right away. it takes a while.

Also don't learn the songs to "help" you... learn them to enjoy for inspiration.

learn to play the songs. let yourself be inspired by them. If you have a background in theory take the time to study the songs. ( if you don't and you're interested, get started with the very basics of theory so eventually your knowledge will catch up and you will be able to utilize it to analyze what your playing)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
FLoyd can also be seen as Psychedelic rock. But if u take "Progressive" as a mind set, which I find far more logical, then they are progressive, since they deviate from normal standards, and don't write (At least the early stuff) for monetary purposes.

I think floyd is definantly a progressive rock band, they're definantly phychedelic aswell, i think that could almost be considered part of progressive though

Really, just be diverse in all genres, and let it show in your music. Progressive rock bands do pretty crazy key changes. Just listen to more progressive rock and study it
Quote by Reddaz
failing that do what floyd did in the early days and trip on acid then write about it

no..... just..... no. because pink floyd could do it doesn't mean everybody should (im actually being somewhat of a hypocrite here but we shouldn't encourage people to do drugs, especially when its not necessary, what if the TS is 10 years old? would you seriously encourage someone 10 years old to eat acid?)

ok now on to the helping section:

first start with writing a song just in general. see if you can write a 3 minute song with a couple changes for starters. you need to make sure you can do that before writing a 14 minute long epic masterpiece with multiple key and time sig changes.
Fates Warning's stuff is usually quite easy to analyze, Queensryche too.
Start by looking at their stuff (Even if they are prog metal :P)