Alright, I will be the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing on the subject.

Two years ago I began playing, and have played avidly since. I've had the same amp I got day one, a Vox ad15vt. I began with a Schecter omen 6 and quickly purchased an esp ltd ec-1000, which has actually gone up in price since my purchase of it. I've began playing quite consistently with several groups of musicians, and would like an amp with a bit better tone to continue playing with. I began playing exclusively metal, but have recently "lightened up" a bit, and I now spend the majority of my time playing on the tweed 4x10 setting of my Vox.

Keeping these musical interests and other equipment in mind, what would be a reasonable amp I could get in the under 1500 dollar price range?
You had a great start with the vox + schecter! good choises indeed. That EC-1000 is nice too, good choise.

With that price tag and a varied musical taste I would personally most likely look into a Carvin V3 and a nice 2x12 cab. You have a ton of options though
WTLTL 2011
Firstly, thank you for the help.

The biggest problem I currently have is the number of options. I've played through a plethora of amps that sound good, but I'd like to make the "correct" decision if I'm going to be paying this much money.

And the Vox blows any of the other modeling amps out of the water.
I've been having difficulty locating a Carvin V3 for sale on the internet? Would you happen to know any places that sell it?
click the how to order tab
https://www.carvinguitars.com/carvinworld/products/single.php?product=V3

When it comes to amps the only way to really justify a decision is by trying the amp and falling in love. The "correct" decision is personal, and my "correct" decision on a Carvin V3 could be your bag of ****.

The best you could possibly do for yourself is to drive down to a guitar shop, and spend a good couple of hours trying all their amps. If anything, you're going to have a much better idea of the sound you are after, and what company comes close to what you want.

With a budget like yours there are tons of great options, and its all personal preference. You could go for a jack of all trades like a Carvin V3 or ENGL Blackmore, or you could go for more metal oriented like a peavey 5150 or mesa dual/tripple recto, or you could go for a more vintage sound with splawn/marshall....
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Dec 15, 2008,
^ yeah, pretty much. first of all you need to try a bunch of more vintage-style amps, then a bunch more modern amps, then some in the middle or jack-of-all-trades amps, to see which you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another amp that is worth looking into is a Peavey JSX - the combo brand new will run you around $1600 but if you're willing to go used then you could easily find one for less than $1500.

They are fairly versatile amps - plenty of gain on tap and they have pretty decent cleans.

You should also look into various Mesa models - they tend to be fairly versatile as well.
Alright, thank you for the help. I went to a local guitar store recently and played through a bunch of amps. The only one that really stuck out was a 4000 dollar cornford xD. I'd like to play through some more mesas and peavys, though the ones I've played have all seemed pretty solely directed towards medal, whereas I'd like a cleaner sound that I could distort of need be.
yeah, you shouldn't try cornfords if you can't afford them. they do seem to be a bit love/hate, but if are one of the people who like/get them, you're likely to end up with instant GAS...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

doesn't hurt to try what you can, though- i think they're meant to be pretty rare in the states, probably was a good idea to try it when you had the chance.

you could probably afford one of the lower wattage ones, but that's not going to let you play much with other musicians, unless they don't play too loudly...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's always tough to find an amp that will do both Metal and everything else, generally speaking you're going to have to sacrifice in one area or another.

I think the two best suggestions so far are the Carvin V3 and the Peavey JSX. Both similar and both super versatile. I've got a JSX myself, and the things got a brilliant clean channel, the crunch channel is really nice for Rock, Classic Rock and Blues, and the ultra channel will do your super shred stuff and it's passably decent at metal. (Although it's a lot better if you retube with 6L6s)

My only complaint about the JSX is there's almost too much gain at times, and it can be really difficult to dial in a nice low gain overdrive sound for blues. But that's nothing that an OD pedal in front of the clean channel won't fix.

Also, the clean channel just won't break up until you've got the amp pretty much cranked, and even then it's still pretty damn clean. So if you're looking for tons and tons and tons of headroom on the clean channel this is your baby.

Aside from that, you can look into a Mesa Lonestar, Mesa Express, Mesa Stiletto, maybe some Orange amps (although I personally hate them).
Thank you once again, just looking it up both the carvin v3 and the peavy JSX appear to be viable options.
That is some great tone, do you know where one might be able to try playing through one? I haven't seen any Carvins at any places near here.
I'm interested in the V3 as well,the head is on sale for like 850 on Carvins site right now *drools*

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.