So I was just taking another look at Breedlove's new Atlas series. I must say, I love the diversity in it. There is almost every combination of preferences for just one series of guitars.
However, have they decreased in quality?
First thing I noticed was the lack of gold hardware. That made me sad. The gold hardware really accented the look of Breedlove guitars, and it was just so awesome. Secondly, wood. Now, I'm looking at $800 Atlas series, trying to find a good one to recommend to people. I'm looking at the specs and I see:
Solid top
Laminate back and sides.
Seriously Breedlove? My $400 Breedlove has solid top and back, and only laminate sides. It does have gold hardware, and it is an Atlas series (One of the discontinued models).
So, do you guys (that know Breedlove) think that Breedlove has fallen under the 'big corporation' disease, where they suddenly put out less quality for more profit?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
having never played one I think you answered your own question in the post
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Well see Breedlove wanted to really branch out to the different types of players.Considering they have split atlas into 3 different sections and have many many new guitars in these, it's to be expected that Breedlove would have to drop some quality for quantity. I mean they are producing so many different types of atlas' now that they would have to make some sacrifices in order to pursue the three different sub categories.
Have the prices on the new series dropped?

Taylor's 100 and 200 series guitars used to be all solid as well, but now they're laminate side/back as of 2007.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^They used to be all solid? Well in that case I'm going to have to find a pre-07 100 or 200 series around here somewhere. I love how Taylors sound

I don't know much on the history of Takamine, but they've been so highly regarded for their value, yet everything under $1k only has a solid top. Everything over $1k has all solid...but still...

And I don't know much about Breedlove. Actually...I know nothing about Breedlove. I hate to see companies with good reputations ruin them though. Sounds like the Atlas series has become the equivalent of Takamine's G Series.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
So in the end, should you just not buy laminate guitars? Do you sacrifice too much in terms of durability with a laminate guitar? Are there certain parts of a guitar that it would be okay if it were laminate?
Quote by rangeralex
So in the end, should you just not buy laminate guitars? Do you sacrifice too much in terms of durability with a laminate guitar? Are there certain parts of a guitar that it would be okay if it were laminate?

What you want to avoid is a guitar body made of all laminate. This is because the glue between each sheet of wood tends to dampen the energy produced by the strings, leading to crappy energy transfer.

So to answer your first question... If you can afford it, try to go for all solid. However, if you find a solid top, side/back laminate guitar that sounds better to you, then by all means go for it. Some companies do make incredibly good laminate side/back, solid top guitars(Seagull for example).

Laminate is actually more durable than solid wood. Laminate is created by gluing together wood(or cheap plywood in a lot of cases) with their grains in opposing directions. This gives them strength and durability. They are also, for the most part, unaffected by humidity since they're usually made of really cheap plywood anyways.

As for using laminate on other parts... it probably isn't really done. For the necks and headstock, companies usually use cheap hardwood since... well... it's cheap and will look better when carved into the neck shape. And well... an acoustic guitar is only composed of a body and a neck(pretty much) so it probably isn't used.

Hope that helps you.
Equipment:

Man Captivate I can't help but wonder how the hell do you know all this stuff!
^He learned it from me. He is a good padawan isn't he? Us Jedi's(jimtaka, confusus, dixfix, and the like) are all very proud of him, so long as he stays away from the darkside. lol
Much of what cappy speaks is truth, and a lot of his info is readily available on the interwebz. If you know what to look for that is. Some things you just need experience for though. There'll never be a substitute for that.
Quote by LeftyDave
^He learned it from me. He is a good padawan isn't he? Us Jedi's(jimtaka, confusus, dixfix, and the like) are all very proud of him, so long as he stays away from the darkside. lol
Much of what cappy speaks is truth, and a lot of his info is readily available on the interwebz. If you know what to look for that is. Some things you just need experience for though. There'll never be a substitute for that.

I can't argue with that. It's true, ahahaha.

Aside from learning from people on the board, I also read a lot of guitar articles. so yeah.
Equipment:

My Larrivee LV03RE sounds better than any Breedlove or Taylor or Martin at the same price. I have a Breedlove 12 string, and would only buy a breedlove for the 12string. I don't like the tinny sounding 6 stings at all.
I will admit that I am a Gibson acoustic SNOB!

I'm not big on Martins or Taylors, both are overhyped in my opinion.

However, in my opinion Breedlove makes an incredible guitar! Great versatility. Great sound. A buddy of mine has a Larrivee' that is amazing, but I might would have to take a few of the Breedlove's I have played over even the Larrivee'.

Breedlove makes one of the best guitars on the market for the money. I love Gibson's but they add a little extra fo rthe name, I understand that. But Breedlove's may be the best deal around.
Quote by LeftyDave

lmfao
Quote by VPC
My Larrivee LV03RE sounds better than any Breedlove or Taylor or Martin at the same price. I have a Breedlove 12 string, and would only buy a breedlove for the 12string. I don't like the tinny sounding 6 stings at all.

Captivate, hold me back man.
Quote by VPC

I find Larrivee's to have a very balanced sound. Moderately full and moderately bright as well. It's probably one of the more versatile brands that I've come across.

As for the Breedloves... I found them to sound very iffy with strumming, but fingerpicked, there is almost no competition. Breedlove + fingerpicking = WIN. You couldn't win any harder if you tried. Seriously.
Equipment:

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I own two Breedlove Atlas guitars. One older AC25/SR plus and a brand new Stage J350/EF. As far as I can tell, the quality is still the same as it was. The J350 sounds amazing strummed or fingerstyle. The hardware they use is still Grover just not gold. I also played the new version of the AC and it sounded amazing as well.
@Captivate: Hah yes, you can't beat the Breedlove fingerpick sound. Its godly. And I agree with Silverstein that it does depend on the model (It sounds great when I pick on my Breedlove. Though usually softer picks sound better, cause my Breedlove has a much better softer/muted sound than full).

The hardware is the same, but the gold looks a lot better. I unfortunately haven't gotten close enough to any stores (Out here in London, Breedloves aren't the most well known guitars) to try out the new series. Once I can I definitely will to compare.

Also, I found the most similar new Atlas model to my old one. The new one is a D25/SM (Mine is an AD20/SM). The only differences are electronics (Mine does not have any), a cutaway (Mine doesn't have one), laminate sides and back (Mine is solid back), and a $600-400 increase on the new model. Is that too much money for electronics, cutaway, and laminate back and sides?

At least Breedlove still has Pro and Master series.
I only tried the roots series since the only Breedlove dealer near me has REALLY bad service. I stood there for 20 minutes waiting for someone to help me. I got pissed and went to Long & Mcquade where they helped me within 5 minutes.
Equipment:

Quote by jrubakon
Hey Baby joel,
I just checked the Breedlove website and it says the d52/sm still has the solid top and back and laminate sides.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/guitars/atlas/StudioD25SM/specs.php

heres the link.

Cheers!

Woah, that's really weird. I could swear it was laminate back. Ah well.
I have some faith in Breedlove yet. I'm hoping for some nice series of 12 strings to come out, one that I can afford.