Hey guys,
How is it going?

I'm currently recording some tracks with my band Anti Icon (www.myspace.com/antiiconmetal) at a local studio and I think I caught the recording-bug! I suddenly have a great urge to start recording myself!
So I’ve browsed the internet and stuff and got a lot of information but I think you guys can give me more experience-related-advice.

As I'm a newbie I'm not really sure what I do and don't need.
This is the gear I have so far:

Guitar gear:
LTD MH-400NT
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall 1960 A cab
Boss NS-2

Mic
Shure SM58

Laptop
Acer Aspire 5930
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 4096 MB
Hard Disk: WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device, 298,09 GB
CD/DVD-station: Slimtype DVD A DS8A2S ATA Device
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio , NVIDIA HDMI Audio

Software
Audacity

That's about it. I reckon I've got some good guitar gear which I'm pretty proud of, but I know that this is no guarantee for a good recording.
From what I found on the internet I figure I need a Pre Amp. Is that enough, or do I still need something else to get started? As this is still my experimental phase I was wondering if there was a specific Pre Amp that is just perfect to get started with? I don't wanna spend too much on this as the passion could die out in a month or 6. I don't even know if I have any talent for this... BUT I’m definitely not going for the cheapest stuff, more like the medium-beginner-budget.

So yeah, that's about it. I have some gear and am very motivated at the moment.
Which pre amps are OK for a newbie like me to start with? Any tips?
Btw, I mostly play rock and metal (metalcore)...don't know if that makes a difference or not...

Thanks for getting through this rant of mine!

Rien
(Belgium, Europe)
What is your budget?

Moody will be along any minute with some good suggestions I bet, he's good for this stuff.

I like your music by the way. The recording could have been better.
Quote by maggot9779
What is your budget?

Moody will be along any minute with some good suggestions I bet, he's good for this stuff.

I like your music by the way. The recording could have been better.

Thanks man! It means alot to hear that! Yeah, the sound...we didn't really know where to put the mic...I'll probably learn that with the recording I hope.

Well budget-wise I guess €2OO (= 270$)...not that big but ok to start with I think (I hope...)
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Thanks man! It means alot to hear that! Yeah, the sound...we didn't really know where to put the mic...I'll probably learn that with the recording I hope.

Well budget-wise I guess €2OO (= 270$)...not that big but ok to start with I think (I hope...)

No probs. The studio only had the 1 mic? Wow....even the studio my band record at have more than 1 mic. Hell, even my college has more than 1!

I think you'll really enjoy recording, I got into it a few years ago and I also study music at college so I get alot of time in their studio. I set up mics and set up mixers and stuff, really fun. I learn alot.

I'm not sure whether or not your PC has Firewire (my Acer Aspire M1640 does) but that would be the way to go. Like I said though, i'm not sure which ones specifically.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Quote by maggot9779
No probs. The studio only had the 1 mic? Wow....even the studio my band record at have more than 1 mic. Hell, even my college has more than 1!

I think you'll really enjoy recording, I got into it a few years ago and I also study music at college so I get alot of time in their studio. I set up mics and set up mixers and stuff, really fun. I learn alot.

I'm not sure whether or not your PC has Firewire (my Acer Aspire M1640 does) but that would be the way to go. Like I said though, i'm not sure which ones specifically.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

haha the stuff you here on our MySpace is not the stuff we're recording, that is just during rehearsals. We're still recording the real deal. It'll be up in jan.

And my laptop...I thought I had Firewire but I'm not sure. I never used that before in my life so I wouldn't know what to look for. I'll google it quick...
(googlegooglegooglegooglegooglegooglegoogle...)
It seems I don't have Firewire but i do have an eSATA port and an HDMI port...google said
EMU 0202 or 0404, depending on what features you need

The SM58 and SM57 are both good mics for general use and are very similar so you can probably mic amps with the 58 without a problem.

Toss some phones in there and your interface should come with software to record on but if not, Reaper is a great product for a low price.

Edirol is a sub company of Roland and both generally make great products. I have not heard much about the Edirol UA 25EX but I can suggest you look over at the studio-centrail.com board and see if you can find some reviews. It looks to be a USB 1.1 connection though so you may get some latency. The EMUs are 2.0 USB and so the speed is MUCH faster.

Sorry for not being around the board a lot guys, I'm finishing up my last week of classes and working on a lot of projects..and studying.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
EMU 0202 or 0404, depending on what features you need

The SM58 and SM57 are both good mics for general use and are very similar so you can probably mic amps with the 58 without a problem.

Toss some phones in there and your interface should come with software to record on but if not, Reaper is a great product for a low price.

Edirol is a sub company of Roland and both generally make great products. I have not heard much about the Edirol UA 25EX but I can suggest you look over at the studio-centrail.com board and see if you can find some reviews. It looks to be a USB 1.1 connection though so you may get some latency. The EMUs are 2.0 USB and so the speed is MUCH faster.

Sorry for not being around the board a lot guys, I'm finishing up my last week of classes and working on a lot of projects..and studying.

What's the main diffrence between the 0202 and 0404? Is it worth saving for the 0404 or won't I be able to hear the diffrence, 'cause I'm still a newbie you know...
Quote by Kriptonite_r
What's the main diffrence between the 0202 and 0404? Is it worth saving for the 0404 or won't I be able to hear the diffrence, 'cause I'm still a newbie you know...

Less inputs.
That's it? Just some inputs more? That's like 100 bucks more for just another input.
So the software and preformance are identical?
Guess I'll go with the 0202 than, as I intend to mainly record guitars for now...
Now the recording part itself I can manage, but it's the deting that freaks me out a bit. How can I learn some basics? Or is it just experience?
As far as I know that is the only major difference between the two. Do some research though, see if there are things you need that one of them might not give you.

Also, you can watch videos from youtube for the program you are using. But I find it is better to figure things out for yourself, atleast that way you know what works and what doesn't.
i would highly reckomend the http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/ i have it and it comes with recording software way better than audacity too, you can record form 2 different sources at a time and it puts them in seperate tracks. has real nice built in pre-amps, for mics, and it has on bord-48v output for powering mics that need it.

IMO its the best you can get for the price.

hope i helped james
Quote by wozzsta
i would highly reckomend the http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/ i have it and it comes with recording software way better than audacity too, you can record form 2 different sources at a time and it puts them in seperate tracks. has real nice built in pre-amps, for mics, and it has on bord-48v output for powering mics that need it.

IMO its the best you can get for the price.

hope i helped james

Is that one a FireWire-Interface? 'Cause my laptop doesn't have a FireWire port.

(awesome sounds by the way!)
ah yeah its firewire, u sure u dont have firewire, even the little sized unpowerd one???
Quote by wozzsta
ah yeah its firewire, u sure u dont have firewire, even the little sized unpowerd one???

yeah I'm pretty sure. I didn't know how it looked so I just googled my laptop and everywhere it said that it didn't have a FireWire port. I do have some other ports but I don't think I can aply it for recording. Usb for me I guess.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
yeah I'm pretty sure. I didn't know how it looked so I just googled my laptop and everywhere it said that it didn't have a FireWire port. I do have some other ports but I don't think I can aply it for recording. Usb for me I guess.

ah thats a shame, firewire is realy the way to go, one thing you could do is get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCMCIA-Firewire-IEEE1394-Laptop-Expansion/dp/B000OQA8AC

and then u will have firewire, if u are serious about recording dont go usb, about 2 weeks after going usb u will regret it.

cheers james
Quote by wozzsta
ah thats a shame, firewire is realy the way to go, one thing you could do is get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCMCIA-Firewire-IEEE1394-Laptop-Expansion/dp/B000OQA8AC

and then u will have firewire, if u are serious about recording dont go usb, about 2 weeks after going usb u will regret it.

cheers james

Well, as I said, this is the first time I felt the erge to record and I'm willing to put some money and time in it but this could be over in 6 months. It's not like USB-recording is extreme crap is it? If it gets the job done and it teaches me how to mix, master and edit, than it's exactly what I'm searching for for now.

I seek a small setup to introduce me to recording. And now I'm thinking about the E-MU 0202 or a secondhand Edirol UA-25. What do you guys think? Or are there any other products I should look into?

Btw, does the E-MU include software?

People do tell me to just try it out...but I would be able to spot the difference
well no USB inst like extream crap but ide never use it.

i think you would save you self cash if u went down the firewire route tho, cauze if u get the USB one, after a while recording with it, you will be wanting to upgrade.
but if u got
something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCMCIA-Firewire-IEEE1394-Laptop-Expansion/dp/B000OQA8AC

and this http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/ it will last for a very long time and its realy not that much more than any of the USB ones

can get it for 165 euros here, http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_onyx_satellite.htm

but its up to you.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Well, as I said, this is the first time I felt the erge to record and I'm willing to put some money and time in it but this could be over in 6 months. It's not like USB-recording is extreme crap is it? If it gets the job done and it teaches me how to mix, master and edit, than it's exactly what I'm searching for for now.

I seek a small setup to introduce me to recording. And now I'm thinking about the E-MU 0202 or a secondhand Edirol UA-25. What do you guys think? Or are there any other products I should look into?

Btw, does the E-MU include software?

People do tell me to just try it out...but I would be able to spot the difference

You will be fine with a USB 2.0 interface with your small setup.
The speed of USB2.0 and firewire are just about the same so you wont notice any difference.
Firewire is good for larger interfaces like the PreSonus FP10.

The only difference between the 0202 and 0404 are the types and amount of inputs. The MIDI is nice to have if you want to work with virtual instruments but for a basic studio, you may not ever need them....but you may want the second XLR input....

You do get software with most interfaces
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516

...and the Production Tools Software Bundle which includes music software to create, record, edit, and master your audio compositions.

- PC Production Tools Software Bundle:
- Cakewalk SONAR LE, Steinberg's Cubase LE
- and WaveLab Lite, Ableton Live 4 Lite for E-MU (demo only), IK Multimedia AmpliTube LE, Minnetonka diskWelder BRONZE (trial version), SFX Machine LT, E-MU Proteus X2 LE Software Sound Module

The Mackie Onyx Satellite can be found for cheap on ebay but it is an old unit and not being sold in most stores now. You wont find vista or any new drivers for it anymore either. It is a great unit but I dont suggest getting it unless you plan on running XP for a few years and at that point, upgrade your OS and interface.

The EMU units are great for home use and will work just fine.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
You will be fine with a USB 2.0 interface with your small setup.
The speed of USB2.0 and firewire are just about the same so you wont notice any difference.
Firewire is good for larger interfaces like the PreSonus FP10.

The only difference between the 0202 and 0404 are the types and amount of inputs. The MIDI is nice to have if you want to work with virtual instruments but for a basic studio, you may not ever need them....but you may want the second XLR input....

You do get software with most interfaces
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516

The Mackie Onyx Satellite can be found for cheap on ebay but it is an old unit and not being sold in most stores now. You wont find vista or any new drivers for it anymore either. It is a great unit but I dont suggest getting it unless you plan on running XP for a few years and at that point, upgrade your OS and interface.

The EMU units are great for home use and will work just fine.

ow didnt know it wasnt compatable with vista, i can see how that could pose a problem.

one thing i will say for firewire tho is, you can record two things at the same time and it will put it in to, two seperate tracks, so u can mix each thing on its own, with usb whilst u can record them both at the same time, it will put them in to the same track, so you stuck if say the vocals are too loud, or bass is too quite.