idk really, either like a metal-core, or like a prog type thing

i wasnt sure if you were tuned at first, but after a while i thought you were.

well, i dont think this is the right forum, but im not reporting you, ill let others do that if they wish.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Do you ever poke yourself with all that excess string hanging there? Looks dangerous.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
^ hey! excess strings are cool
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Quote by Chips-
Do you ever poke yourself with all that excess string hanging there? Looks dangerous.

lol i thought the same thing
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
I believe you need to learn to cut excess string my good sir.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
God I love your backpack.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
i have excess strings, just not hanging from the headstock.

i have excess amounts of strings, i buy packs in bulk so i never have to go to the music shop for strings!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
it sounds like any generic metalcore band. it sounds harsh (what i said not the actual riff), but that's how i see it. also going to the recording section, not the pit
it's 4/4 timing, that's not very proggy, it's all in one key, that's not very proggy, it's not mix measure or anything, that's not very proggy. but that's the genre "progressive" which really isn't all that progressive when it has rules like that.

As far as it being innovating, new and progressive, not necessarily the genre progressive, it still isn't
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
also, you are making that riff seem so hard, just move the notes up 5 frets and over one string and you barely have to move your arm. it just is a pain moving your arm that much
Quote by ironman1478
also, you are making that riff seem so hard, just move the notes of 5 frets and over one string and you barely have to move your arm. it just is a pain moving your arm that much

Yay! Understanding of Economy of Motion!

It's a beautiful, beautiful thing that can make playing easier.
thats never prog
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

It just sounds as basic as can be
Consistent note lengths, 4/4 signature and very basic scale.
Listen to some stuff like Born of Osiris to get an idea on progging up a simple riff by using unusual note lengths and groupings (intro to Open Arms to Damnation for example)
ohai little sig.
There has got to be an easier way to play that. When you figure it out clean it up a little and play it twice as fast and you may have a winning riff on your hands.
Sig What?
Quote by Colton165
i have excess strings, just not hanging from the headstock.

i have excess amounts of strings, i buy packs in bulk so i never have to go to the music shop for strings!

Ya me too, just bought 35 packs of strings for about 35€. Sh*t quality but I don't care.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by darth awsome
There has got to be an easier way to play that. When you figure it out clean it up a little and play it twice as fast and you may have a winning riff on your hands.

i love how people think that playing things faster is always better. especially twice as fast. i mean if he played that twice as fast it would sound pretty annoying and if it did turn into a song, would be very repetitive
really repetative and kind of annoying
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
Well guess it's back too the drawing board then

don't get discouraged dude. finding the right riff can take forever and then implementing it can take a while. keep trying
Quote by ironman1478
i love how people think that playing things faster is always better. especially twice as fast. i mean if he played that twice as fast it would sound pretty annoying and if it did turn into a song, would be very repetitive

Twice as fast may be overkill but consider this: he said he was going for a "progish" sound. Prog to me implies technical proficiency as well as loose song structure. The economy of playing problem (moving so far to play the second half) is solved the riff gets a lot easier. The riff is not strong enough as it is (IMHO) to constitute the main part of a song. If he pushes it a couple of clicks faster however it would be a neat transition part or bridge or small part of a song. The repetition part should not be a problem either because if his prog is anything BTBAM-esque (as it sounds to be) he may play the riff 4 or 8 times in one section of the song and then proceed on through the rest of his 10 minute epic master piece.

These are simply my opinions and I was simply replying with some constructive criticism. I didn't want to come off as the Speed=Skill kinda guy you perceived me as.
Sig What?
Quote by Chips-
Ya me too, just bought 35 packs of strings for about 35€. Sh*t quality but I don't care.

yeah they arent the greatest (Rogue strings), but i get a lot, and theyre cheap

when i want a better sound, i use ernie ball slinkys
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad