Ok guys this is a tough situation. My new band witch consists of me on guitar, my best friend on bass, who I invited and I don't want to disapoint him by chucking him out or being harsh like that, 'coz it's not fair on him. And then theirs a girl on vocals, and a guy on drums. And we kinda like different music. I mean 3 out of 4 like Sum 41 and stuff, that's except the bassist, who likes Motley Crue and Black Sabbath and stuff. He thinks because he does not like the others music and doesn't want to conform that he shouldn't be in it. And is excluding the idea of learning bass.

What should we do?
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
get a good funk bassist
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Respect his musical preferences?

For both parties?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by carcass255
get a good funk bassist

Quote by alkaline3trio
Make him listen to megadeth. In fact, all of you listen to megadeth...

this.
Yeah, Respect everyone's taste in music and find something you both like.
Gamertag: KuroNeko117 - ADD ME ^_^

ILikeC OLOURS

Don't drink drive you'll spill your drink
From the sounds of it.....get a bassist that actually plays bass with some fluency.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by dragoo-mon

sigged! i know nothing about funk
Quote by dragoo-mon

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
get Tony Choy on bass...
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
Well if he doesn't know bass yet and doesn't want to be in the band then let him leave. I'm in a band where my drummer listens to punk like the offspring and weezer (if thats punk) and stuff. My guitarist listens to Alternative rock like angels and airwaves and Breaking Benjamin. and I (Bass) listens to Alternative metal, metal, and alternative rock, but I like everything. We mixed our stuff together and we all like the music we came up with. Its not about your influences, its about if you like the kind of music your playing.
Quit and start a new band called Megadeath. Kick his dog too.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by boreamor
Who needs a bassist? I'd rather have a mini-fridge.

and a crate of beer.

and weed

and McDonalds.

damn I'm high and need mcdonalds.

I'll be right back

*grabs keys*
Quote by alkaline3trio
Make him listen to Symphony X. In fact, all of you listen to Symphony X...

yea they are the sh*t.
this happened to me back in March. My best friend started playing bass because my band needed a bassist. He wanted to play like Red Hot Chili peppers and Incubus, whereas we are into Saosin, Chiodos, Blessthefall etc. In the end, you should not settle for less when it comes to what you play, if he isn't willing to play what you want then he is not for you.

Me and my best friend remained best friends through this, might I add.
Quote by boreamor

You, my friend, stole THAT from Guitar Hero..

Thanks for the help guys.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Make some songs that combine all your interests.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by boreamor

+1 to boreamor for he knows that a mini- fridge is more important than a bassist.
sweet! back on topic, get a new bassist. let him walk.
My Arsenal.
'85 B.C. Rich Virgin
Line 6 spider 3 75w
Silver sharpie.
Pocket knife.
Quote by jotty
Ok guys this is a tough situation. My new band witch consists of me on guitar, my best friend on bass, who I invited and I don't want to disapoint him by chucking him out or being harsh like that, 'coz it's not fair on him. And then theirs a girl on vocals, and a guy on drums. And we kinda like different music. I mean 3 out of 4 like Sum 41 and stuff, that's except the bassist, who likes Motley Crue and Black Sabbath and stuff. He thinks because he does not like the others music and doesn't want to conform that he shouldn't be in it. And is excluding the idea of learning bass.

What should we do?

So what you're saying is that you don't acually have a bassist.

Hmmm...
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
A professional musician should be able to play any kind of music, regardless of what he/she listens to.

A direction should be pointed for the band, and anybody who doesn't want to go in that direction doesn't have to be in the band.

If you want to gig, play one of the kinds of music that are commercial to your area, do what other successful bands are doing, but do it better.

Of course, if you are intending to gig, just do what you like and have fun.

BTW, even if you do gig, it should be fun -- after all -- that's why they call it playing music

Insights and incites by Notes
Quote by jotty

What should we do?

Just be glad your band has a witch!
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Oh now that Bigwilly brought it up..I think he meant "My new band: Witch". Just for your information, J Mascis (from Dinosaur Jr.) plays drums for a band called Witch already. You should change your name

Or he meant "which"..nevermind!
Quote by sammyboy77
this happened to me back in March. My best friend started playing bass because my band needed a bassist. He wanted to play like Red Hot Chili peppers and Incubus, whereas we are into Saosin, Chiodos, Blessthefall etc. In the end, you should not settle for less when it comes to what you play, if he isn't willing to play what you want then he is not for you.

Me and my best friend remained best friends through this, might I add.

HOLY ****!!!!
I KNOW YOU, NOW IM SCARED AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by boreamor
EDIT: Ah you edited it you cunning fox.

Quite true...I am cunning as well as a fox...

Here is my picture...

wouldn't it be ironic if I failed again and got edit it like a cunning fox again!

EDIT: Now I realize I'm derailing the thread...So I'll try to contribute meaningfully.

IMO, if he doens't fit with the band, then in the future it will cause bigger problems. It all depends how serious you are. If it's just a little group in the basement thats tooling around for fun and jamming together, just find something you can all agree to play...and have fun! But, if you want to be serious and gig, if everyone isn't on the same page you will run into issues down the road.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Last edited by bigwilly at Dec 15, 2008,
Listen to the bassist, they are always the most knowledgeable, however, unappreciated member of the band.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS