You know how with Photoshop and GIMP, you can use layers to make one thing in a picture black and white while something else in the same picture is in color
like this

Well I was watching Rocky last night and they did that in a VIDEO....

Does anyone know how to do this? Either in detail or point me in the direction of a decent tutorial?

Notes:

I have GIMP2 at my house
And I can use any programs in the Adobe CS3 Suite at school, idk if that helps

Thanks
UG's HIPPIE
You basically just told us how to do it, select the object, make a new layer, shift the object on to the new layer (top layer obviously), then black and white the other layer. really man, if you want it step by step (not got PS on this computer) look on google, there will be loads of guides.

EDIT: Ohhhh hang on, video. I don't use premier pro, I use sony vegas so I can't really help there. Would be quite difficult I would imagine, I've never had the urge to try. frame by frame could be right, I don't see there being many other ways.
Last edited by CLVPX at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by CLVPX
You basically just told us how to do it, select the object, make a new layer, shift the object on to the new layer (top layer obviously), then black and white the other layer. really man, if you want it step by step (not got PS on this computer) look on google, there will be loads of guides.

Well when I do this in photo shop, I make a duplicate layer and make it black and white. Then I erase the parts of that layer to make the layer behind it colored. Am I doing it Wrong? Because if you do that to a video, when the colored object moves, it wouldn't be in color

Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
They might have just meticulously done it, frame by frame.

And this is the only solution I can think of to fix the problem stated above... But that would be VERY time consuming (but probably worth it)... Is it the only way?
UG's HIPPIE
heres how i would do it in vegas, i dont know about the other programs...

1. create 2 layers with the same video overlapping, take a clip of the rose for instance.

2. On the top layer, add the effect "chroma keyer, and select the color red on it (for the rose). Then put on the effect "color adjust" or something like tat, and lower the saturation to 0, to make it black and white.

Voila, the top layer should be black and white, and all of the red on the top layer shouwld show through to the bottom layer, leaving only the red rose.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
heres how i would do it in vegas, i dont know about the other programs...

1. create 2 layers with the same video overlapping, take a clip of the rose for instance.

2. On the top layer, add the effect "chroma keyer, and select the color red on it (for the rose). Then put on the effect "color adjust" or something like tat, and lower the saturation to 0, to make it black and white.

Voila, the top layer should be black and white, and all of the red on the top layer shouwld show through to the bottom layer, leaving only the red rose.

You're assuming that there is only one object in the frame that is the specific color to key off of. This is rarely the case. You really need to use AfterEffects to pull this off so it looks believable.

As I said before... rotoscoping will accomplish this also, but it takes A LOT of time. Do yourself a favor and look into AE. It's the industry standard in most video dev shops so it's well worth your time.
Quote by Vikingx
You're assuming that there is only one object in the frame that is the specific color to key off of. This is rarely the case. You really need to use AfterEffects to pull this off so it looks believable.

As I said before... rotoscoping will accomplish this also, but it takes A LOT of time. Do yourself a favor and look into AE. It's the industry standard in most video dev shops so it's well worth your time.

Thanks I'll check out AE
UG's HIPPIE