Rather than make a bunch of threads i'll post my questions here.

So my parents want to get me something nice for xmas. I currently have a recording setup with a Tascam US-122 recording interface, macbook, Sm57 and a art tube preamp. I use this to record mostly distortion guitar or my Korg MicroX keyboard. I'm looking to add a few things to my setup:
Studio Monitors
Headphones
(possibly) a new recording interface.
Keyboard Amp

My main question is, would my studio monitors make an effective amp for my keyboard? Or would a real amp be ALOT better? Do I really need a nice set of headphones if i get nice monitors?

Next, im considering an upgrade my recording interface from my TASCAM US-122. Considering the presonus firebox, would i notice a huge improvement, or do i need to go as far as the firestudio to see a difference? Any other choices?

I'm also looking for a good drum machine for recording, but im thinking my best bet is a software machine like Drumkit From Hell. any other ideas?

Sorry for the huge post. any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
My main question is, would my studio monitors make an effective amp for my keyboard? Or would a real amp be ALOT better? Do I really need a nice set of headphones if i get nice monitors?

You should not use your monitors as an amp. You dont want to crank them up too high and they are made to mix on. IF you are just looking to use them for general use in a lower volume they will work.
Headphones are still nice to have if you want to listen to a click or drum track while recording other parts at the same time that the mic may pick up while your monitors are running.

Next, im considering an upgrade my recording interface from my TASCAM US-122. Considering the presonus firebox, would i notice a huge improvement, or do i need to go as far as the firestudio to see a difference? Any other choices?

The Firestudio is a nice interface but I doubt yo would notice much difference, if any at all. I have not used either product but I cant see much difference other than the preamps.

I'm also looking for a good drum machine for recording, but im thinking my best bet is a software machine like Drumkit From Hell. any other ideas?

Sorry for the huge post. any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you go ith software drums you can get some great sound but will want a controller keyboard or something to program them. This can be done without a controller but its easier and quicker to program in real time with pads or keys.

With hardware drums you are limited to the sounds on the machine. Alesis has the newer SR18 which is quite nice. At the higher budget is Roland and they make some great drum sounds but you will pay for them...

My suggestion is to get monitors first. KRK has great units for the price.
After that, get a good condenser mic.
i would get monitors and headphones- if youre recording with a live mic youll need headphones. if your pluging youre keyboard direct in to record with the monitors should be fine sounding, unless u just prefer the sound f an amp, personal preference. drumkit from hell is awesome, i have at least one recording with it if youd lik 2 hear
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Awesome! Great responses.

I was actually looking at the KRK rokkits (6 or 8? I'm not sure... the ones with the smallest drivers). I probably wouldn't crank the keyboard too loud, I just like it loud enough and clear enough to appreciate the MicroX's beautiful sound. It sounded amazing plugged in at the store. How loud can they go before causing damage?

Would the smallest KRK's do the job? And is the sub they sell with it any good?

As far as headphones... would the Sennheiser HD280s get the job done?

I would like to hear your recording from DFH if u can! I don't intend to play the drums live (lol almost impossible for me to play that fast on a midi controller), I would probably program a midi file in Guitar Pro and then run it through DFH on the sequencer (if that's even possible)

Again thanks for your help so far!
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
Last edited by guitarded88 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by guitarded88

I would like to hear your recording from DFH if u can! I don't intend to play the drums live (lol almost impossible for me to play that fast on a midi controller), I would probably program a midi file in Guitar Pro and then run it through DFH on the sequencer (if that's even possible)

Again thanks for your help so far!

Having a MIDI controller is still a good idea whether you intend to play real time or not. It makes auditioning sounds a lot easier, and you can always play the MIDI in slower, and speed up the tempo afterwards, or even play one drum at a time, then edit any mistakes. That's the beauty of working with MIDI.
There is poetry in despair.
oh, a midi controller would be helpful, i believe i did these by hand- with a mouse-

as far as the hd280s are concerned, i mean they are a great headphone, but are you planning on tracking or mixing more with them? they are very closed and bright so i like them for tracking, but they are too bright for me to get accurate mixes on. i would recommend something more like the akg k240s for mixing, they should be close in price i think.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Recordings are sick! how do you get your distortion guitars sounding good? Mine sound so harsh.

Ok so i'm asking for KRK Rokit 6's
And a pair of either Sony MDR-7056/V6 or HD280s
Possibly a midi controller (My microX works as a small one for now)

Thanks for your detailed help!
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
for heavy guitars, all guitars actually, i think using multiple mics is key- then blend them. the biggest problem with home recording is cheap mic pres in consumer interfaces- like that song was done on my mbox- so most of my time is spent trying to get my recordings not to sound like they were done on a 200 dollar piece of gear. also keep in mind that these recordings are of about a $2000 dollar guitar rig, so that definitely helps

*edit* oh i see u have a 5150 and some nice guitars- you should be able to get some good results with that i think. I would say use less gain than you feel comfortable with- it will sound like a lot more when recorded and clear up the harshness.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Dec 17, 2008,
Thanks for the replies dude. I hate to revive this thread but my rents ended up getting me the M-Audio BX5A's cause they were sold out of the Rokkit 6's. They sound awesome by my ears, but I can still return 'em if I want.

Would it be worth the upgrade?

Of course I'd be getting one speaker for the same price as the two I have now, so it would have to be a significant difference. I was thinking of just grabbin a sub to fill in some of the low end.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB: