Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy my second amp, a tube amp and was just wondering how many watts I need to be heard nice and clearly over a drum set.
It depends on how loud your drummer plays.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Depends on drummer's style, other instruments volume, and amplifier.
one tube amp can be louder than another. I remember Gabel talking of how his 18 watt marshall clone was louder than his 30 watt Orange Rocker 30.
However, 30 tube watts is the general consensus for getting over a drummer with clean headroom, although, I've seen Blues Jrs able to get over drummers with clean headroom.
30-50 cranked
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i would say 75 watt solid state, 15-30 or 40 with a tube amp depending if you are going for clean or distorted sounds. or you could mic it
dont worry about watts. find an amp that is perfect for you. its not loud enough (very rare) you can mic it up, if its too loud, attenuate it. most amps from 20-60 will do fine with out needing anything else.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.

Seriously.

I use a 20 watt amp and I've yet to have it turned up past half way and I can be heard just fine over a drummer.
Over 9000!!!

Just kidding. I have a 30 watt and have turned it up to only about half way and am still louder than the drums and my friend's 65 watt Crate.
Gear:
Yamaha EG 112C2
Kustom Dual 35DFX
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
EHX Metal Muff

Coming Soon:
Fender Telecaster FMT HH
or
Epiphone Les Paul, Silverburst
15 watts for a drummer that plays at a reasonable volume, and you're only in a practice space. If there's a vocalist, bass player, and a second guitarist, then at least 20, and maybe 25. If you're playing in a small venue, then 30 to 50 watts. Medium-sized venue or outdoors with a small crowd (less than 150), 50 to 100. Beyond that, doesn't matter because you'll need to be hooked up to a PA anyway.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Back when I had a 75w solid state amp, I have to turn it up to like 5 to be heard, and 7 to be well heard. But since I have a 5150 now, I only have to turn it up to 2-3.
I easily get over the drummer with my 15W + 2x12, it's cranked, but how else would I play it?
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
My 15w blues junior is loud enough to play over my drummer. Watts isn't the issue when you're talking about volume.

All watts have to do with is how pushed the amplifier can go before the tubes start to naturally saturate and get that sweet distortion.

Example.
My 15watt is very loud, almost as loud as my 60w HRD, but has almost no clean headroom.
A 100watt Twin Reverb can be cranked so loud that your ears will distort before the tubes do.

With that in mind... I have yet to play a professional quality all tube amplifier that is not loud enough to go over a drummer... but rather I only problems finding amps that can go over a drummer while staying clean.

If we're talking Solid State though, thats different. I'd say 80-120 watts. But at that point I would just buy a tube amp instead.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
any quality amp over 10 really
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
With my VC30 I can drown our drummer out with the volume at only about 3-4.
30w in SS for some clean headroom.

With all respect to whomever said 15w, that's if you play solo with the drummer... add a bass player and a second guitarist and 15w (SS) will not cut it even overdriven. 15w tube, yeah.

We used to have a band, both guitarists on 15w Crate (ugh!) amps and all you could hear was noise. Things got better when I got a Laney 30w and showed that lead guitarist who was in command.

I had to tame the 30'er not to overshadow the 15'er but it had much better definition and punch.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
It all really depends on how well your speakers pan the volume. A 1x12 is going to have a harder time overcoming the drummer than a 4x12. It also depends on the voicing of your speakers. You could probably drown out a drummer with a 23w amp running through a 4x12 loaded with vintage 30s. 30w would be guaranteed though.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
i would say 75 watt solid state, 15-30 or 40 with a tube amp depending if you are going for clean or distorted sounds. or you could mic it

Dude in my previous band I blew our drummer away who slammed the hell out of his drumkit.Back then I was playing my 40W Peavey Envoy 110(which is solid state).....I had the volume on 2.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by Warpo
30w in SS for some clean headroom.

With all respect to whomever said 15w, that's if you play solo with the drummer... add a bass player and a second guitarist and 15w (SS) will not cut it even overdriven. 15w tube, yeah.

We used to have a band, both guitarists on 15w Crate (ugh!) amps and all you could hear was noise. Things got better when I got a Laney 30w and showed that lead guitarist who was in command.

I had to tame the 30'er not to overshadow the 15'er but it had much better definition and punch.

who said anything about SS... besides. since when does an SS amp overdrive when volume is turned up Guess youre referring to speaker distortion from small combos. That has nothing to do with wattage. And yes as you say 15 watts tube is more than enough
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
any quality amp over 10 really

This.

Though it's worth saying that I was able to get over a drummer with a 15 watt spider III.

Though it howled like a bitch in heat.
Quote by chrisdam
who said anything about SS... besides. since when does an SS amp overdrive when volume is turned up Guess youre referring to speaker distortion from small combos. That has nothing to do with wattage. And yes as you say 15 watts tube is more than enough

I meant when the "distortion" channel is used, they sound a bit louder.

Speaker distortion ALSO comes into play, obviously.

At any rate, 15w SS just doesn't cut it for playing in a band.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Quote by imgooley
This.

Though it's worth saying that I was able to get over a drummer with a 15 watt spider III.

Though it howled like a bitch in heat.

I see what your saying, a 15watt amp can be louder than a drummer, doesn't mean it's going to be defined, cutting, and toneful.

When it comes to how many watts you need, it depends on clean headroom and speaker distortion. I recommend at least 30 watts tube.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
150 tube watts?...

if you cranked that **** a black hole would appear out of no where and elves would pop out and jack off your kitty.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by Highwaytohell
Depends on drummer's style, other instruments volume, and amplifier.
one tube amp can be louder than another. I remember Gabel talking of how his 18 watt marshall clone was louder than his 30 watt Orange Rocker 30.
However, 30 tube watts is the general consensus for getting over a drummer with clean headroom, although, I've seen Blues Jrs able to get over drummers with clean headroom.

And it is. In a sense. It breaks up earlier. So at 2 the 18watt is A LOT louder, but at 10 the Rocker 30 will beat it. This is the thing with headroom. Two amps with the same wattage can differe greatly in volume, depending a lot on their headroom. Volume on amps isn't easily measured, it isn't static either. So the best way is to try it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by chrisdam
... since when does an SS amp overdrive when volume is turned up

Since always.
SS do overdrive when you turn them up, just like a tube amp. it just sounds like ****. It is comprised of mostly odd-order hamonics, so its not very musical.
lately there has been alot of mis-information going around UG. (even more than normal. YIKES!) we need a hero to save us.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
we need a hero to save us.

I do miss slats...

My buddy gig's his blues jr with a PA and it sounds sweet. I agree with the consensus that 15 - 30 watts is generally enough.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by chea_man
Since always.
SS do overdrive when you turn them up, just like a tube amp. it just sounds like ****. It is comprised of mostly odd-order hamonics, so its not very musical.
lately there has been alot of mis-information going around UG. (even more than normal. YIKES!) we need a hero to save us.

Really?. I've never experienced that, and though I am no technician, and havent had much experience with SS amps, I see no logical reason as to why a solid state circuitry would overdrive, asuming everything is in order. My car stereo and home HIFI certainly do not distort either, even at full volume. Speakers can, and often do in small combos, but really I have never heard an SS amp distort on its own, and I do have both an Ibanez and a cheap MG lying around, and always have the clean at 10, if I use them. No distortion apart from the speaker, and the Ibanez doesnt even have speaker distortion, just a flat clean sound
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chea_man
Since always.

Don't we call to SS overdriving "clipping"?? I'm asking... maybe I'm confusing clipping.

But many distortion and overdrive pedals are based in diode or SS clipping...

But as said... it'll never be the type of distortion/overdrive a tube has...
Noob Grade Gear...
Valve 30+
SS 100+
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by BulletzAreScene
i'd say 100-120 SS,
60-100 tube.

What that F'in crazy.

All you need is a 15 watt tube amp.
Quote by chea_man
Since always.

This is true.

Just play my old Gibson SS amp.

No gain knob but once it hits a certain volume it starts Driving.
40w tube topps

and thats if you want super clean cleans and your drummer is epically loud

15w tube could manage though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by THEKID546
This is true.

Just play my old Gibson SS amp.

No gain knob but once it hits a certain volume it starts Driving.

Okay so some do and some don't. My guess would be that older and not so well-made SS amps sim´ply are able to put more power to the transistors than they can handle.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
I was able to hear my 5 watt tube amp over a drum kit, though I was using a Tubescreamer with the level on full to boost it. It didn't sound very good either.

I think you could do with 15 tube watts.
Saint Louis Blues
Page 1 of 2