Hey, I'm looking to get a new bass/amp.
I'm in a band called Caged in Humanity, we're metal, so I need more of a metal bass and amp that'll support it. I need an amp that's going to be loud of enough for practice and small gigs.

I'd like to keep it under $400 for the amp, and if there is a good one for less than that, I'd prefer that.

Bass wise, I'd like it to be less than $300 or just a tad over.

I was thinking about the following:

Dean Z Metalman Bass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Z-Metalman-4String-Bass?sku=519351

and

Fender Rumble Series amp
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-Series-100210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138

If anyone has either of these, please reply with some pros/cons and tell me if you think it's good for what we play.

**If you need more information, just ask.
-Matt
Quote by mattizfatt
Hey, I'm looking to get a new bass/amp.
I'm in a band called Caged in Humanity, we're metal, so I need more of a metal bass and amp that'll support it. I need an amp that's going to be loud of enough for practice and small gigs.

I'd like to keep it under $400 for the amp, and if there is a good one for less than that, I'd prefer that.

Bass wise, I'd like it to be less than $300 or just a tad over.

I was thinking about the following:

Dean Z Metalman Bass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Z-Metalman-4String-Bass?sku=519351

and

Fender Rumble Series amp
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-Series-100210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138

If anyone has either of these, please reply with some pros/cons and tell me if you think it's good for what we play.

**If you need more information, just ask.
-Matt
THe amp you chosen is all right but I don't think it'll be loud enough to gig. It'll be hard to cut through a metal drummer and two distortion heavy guitarists with just 100 watts. I wouldn't choose that bass. Sure it looks metal but music isn't all about image. I'd look into Squier VM and CV series.

EDIT: It will be impossible to cut through with that amp. Look into Ashdowns
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Neither of those are particularly well-regarded...

Answer these please:
What type of metal? Myspace page?
What type of tone do you like?
What type of feel do you like? (thick/thin neck, wide/narrow neck, light/heavy etc...)
How big are your gigs going to be?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
The amp you chosen is all right but I don't think it'll be loud enough to gig. It'll be hard to cut through a metal drummer and two distortion heavy guitarists with just 100 watts. I wouldn't choose that bass. Sure it looks metal but music isn't all about image. I'd look into Squier VM and CV series.

EDIT: It will be impossible to cut through with that amp. Look into Ashdowns

Well, a friend of mine is looking into selling his Squeir, so you do think that that'd be better than the Dean?

Thanks for the advice.

Squier***
Last edited by mattizfatt at Dec 15, 2008,
Couldn't tell you without knowing what kind of stuff you're playing, and what type of squier it is.
Nope, no sig here.

Metal bass. No amp required.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Neither of those are particularly well-regarded...

Answer these please:
What type of metal? Myspace page?
What type of tone do you like?
What type of feel do you like? (thick/thin neck, wide/narrow neck, light/heavy etc...)
How big are your gigs going to be?

Hardcore, or thrash I guess you could describe it as.
www.myspace.com/breaching
and the gigs aren't really gonna be too big wouldn't expect more than 150 people.

I'm the guitarist for this band btw.
I'd look for a Squire P Bass. The Vintage Modified ones seem to be well regarded. As for amps, I managed to find a Crate Bt220 for $260. I've had it for close to a month, and have played 2 gigs with it already. I've had NO trouble with it either. One of them was an outdoor gig with like 150 or 200 people to. I've actually got comments from other bands about how loud and good it sounded. So I'd look for one those
you should check the ibanez btb 200 they have great tone and the cost 349 bucks on GC or Sam Ash also in amps you could check Laney amps great amps and they are cheap
Acoustic B200 combo, SRX300 bass.

a great combination.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Going by that recording, something active sounds like your band's thing.

I'd look at these basses:
Peavey Millennium AC
Traben Array 4
Ibanez SR300
Yamaha RBX374

For the amp, The one Humanity posted is good. Also look at these:
Carvin BR15
Nemesis N15 (there's also a 2x8 version)
Ashdown Electric Blue
Kustom Groove 115C
And does anyone have experience with Rocktron amps? They have one that looks good but I don't know a lot about them.
Nope, no sig here.
For playing bass in a metal band, you might want to consider a 5 string. I played an ESP LTD B-55, that was pretty nice, I think they run 200-230ish. Ibanez SR-305 would be good, they run $380 new, or if you want a 4 string go for an SR-300.

I used to own a Dean bass by the way, it was pretty crappy.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
I have a Ibanez EDB600 and a Ampeg B328. A very Metal Combo.
This is my Signature.
Quote by Mephysteaux
For playing bass in a metal band, you might want to consider a 5 string. I played an ESP LTD B-55, that was pretty nice, I think they run 200-230ish. Ibanez SR-305 would be good, they run $380 new, or if you want a 4 string go for an SR-300.

I used to own a Dean bass by the way, it was pretty crappy.

i have the B-55 and its pretty awesome but with the 34 inch scale the b can get somewhat floppy
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
You were seriously thinking of buying a dean Metalman? Do you even PLAY bass?

/rant

Seriously, try Ibanez. The only decent Dean bass you'll get is more expensive ones or an OLD Edge-01 5 string if you can find one. They sound pretty sick once the wood ages.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by the humanity
Acoustic B200 combo, SRX300 bass.

a great combination.

yes this would be perfect, but look at all of ibanez's basses in your price range they are a solid company
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by mattscar
I have a Ibanez EDB600 and a Ampeg B328. A very Metal Combo.

Best recommendation I can give; Ibanez bass and Ampeg amp. Might look at LTD basses too.