if i run my TSL 60 at full volume for hours at a time.....is there any irreparable or irreplaceable damage i can do, such as to the circuits or anything? i understand the tubes will burn out faster, but if i can replace anything i break, i'll be okay. its my baby i don't to hurt her.

i only ask because i've found my clean channel useless unless the master is at 8 or 10. even the distortion isn't loud enough unless its on 7 or 8.

will i kill my amp by running the volume/gain so high?
98 Epiphone Flying V Korina (Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
1979 Marshall 1960A (original Greenbacks)
You should be just fine. Just wear ear plugs.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It's rock and roll to blow out an amp, so it's a win-win. But, I don't think you will. I've always cranked my amps (solid state & valve) and have never hurt the amp. The speakers might wear out faster, but you can easily replace them and they're not that expensive when you consider how ong they "should" last. Keep it cranked dude.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Do you have like a soundproof room or something?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
besides the fact that the TSL might be the worst tube marshall ever made... the amp will be fine. You are supposed to crank tube amps.
Turning a tube amp up is one thing. But amps are NOT made to run at full volume. Yes you can SEVERELY damage your amp doing this.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Turning a tube amp up is one thing. But amps are NOT made to run at full volume. Yes you can SEVERELY damage your amp doing this.

What would you damage?

To me it doesn't even sound like the TS is fully cranking his amp, just diming the master control and using the channel volume for a volume control.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'd be worried more about the speakers than the amp itself.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
If the speakers are properly rated, there's no need to worry.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Kevin Saale
What would you damage?

To me it doesn't even sound like the TS is fully cranking his amp, just diming the master control and using the channel volume for a volume control.

I'm echoing something you said Kevin. But if you're right about diming the master and using channel volume I'm fairly sure that wouldn't hurt it.

-I know for a fact at some point in my time here, you've said running an amp at full volume = bad for it's health.
Quote by sargasm
Your wires in your output transformer can rub together to the point that they short out, and blow up your amp, and tubes.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I'm echoing something you said Kevin. But if you're right about diming the master and using channel volume I'm fairly sure that wouldn't hurt it.

-I know for a fact at some point in my time here, you've said running an amp at full volume = bad for it's health.

The only things I could see him possible damaging would be the tubes and output transformer, both of which are replaceable.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The only things I could see him possible damaging would be the tubes and output transformer, both of which are replaceable.

Now sure those aren't permanent murder of an amp, isn't that still severe in your eyes? Both issues of damage would leave the thread-starter with a dead amp until he drops money to replace broken parts.

Not to mention the inevitable: "I broke my amp, help me" post we'd get, which would be answered with: "Take a tech" a million times...

If he's just turning up the master volume then I agree with you, he won't hurt his amp. But if he's maxing out his volume(s), I foresee $$$ leaving his pockets.
Quote by sargasm
Of course, but he was asking about totally killing the amp, which I don't think will happen, I don't even think he'd blow the OT. Also, OTs aren't that hard to replace nor that expensive. Otherwise I'd agree.
We agree for different reasons then lol.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
We agree for different reasons then lol.

Our arguments are kind of moot since the TS isn't even actually diming the amp
so maxing out the master volume and using the gain as a volume control will be okay?

and, worst case scenario, if i max out both, will that kill my amp?

anyone have any idea why it's so quiet? i MUST have the volume at 8 and gain on 6 for the clean channel to be heard over the drums. same for distortion too. is this normal for the TSL 60?

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
Wow, how many watts is the amp? It sounds like your power tubes are dying.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Shouldn't be. I run my 50 watt tube combo at about half volume and it beats my drummer over the head.

Maybe you have a conked tube?
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Yes maxing out the master and using gain as volume is fine.

If you max out both it will not insta-kill your amp. But it's sorta like driving at very high RPM in a low gear in your car, you just don't do it.

When did you last change your power tubes?
Quote by sargasm
i just picked it up used. it's a 2006, so i assume the tubes are stock. i am going to be picking up the Eurotubes Retube kit for it so I guess I am stuck not knowing until then.

i just wanted to be sure that running my amp that hot was not killing it. i'm new to tubes.

thanks for the help!

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
My guess is that you're going to be shocked at how loud the amp actually is once you get new tubes in it.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
The one I tried through a 4x12 was pretty loud.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

You need to max out certain amps to get some desired tones. You usually only do this with amps that lack a master (ie: old ac30s, jpm, etc...). On newer marshalls I could see maxing out being a possible problem.