Anyone know of any good bands that really create visual images/soundscapes? I'm thinking ambient, but not over the top ambient - as in it still has a beat, etc. I really like Sigur Ros, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some other stuff like that. Thanks.
Robert Fripp?

Porcupine Tree?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try the album "Shadows Of The Sun", by Ulver. The title track and "All The Love" and "Let The Children Go" have drums in them. You can hear so many instruments.
Explosions in the Sky.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Thanks a lot everyone. Do you know of anything really, really simple, too? Like really ethereal-sounding stuff?
Debussy, pink floyd or doves (atleast for me).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by wamguy89
Thanks a lot everyone. Do you know of anything really, really simple, too? Like really ethereal-sounding stuff?

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'm downloading some of their stuff but it's taking FOREVER.

*slap* Buy it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No, but if you have Music Choice on your TV, there is a soundscape station you could check out.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
isis, pelican
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Yeah... I'm looking for some more post-rockish kinda stuff... Like Mogwai, Hammock, Eluvium, Caspian, but even lighter (if that's the right word)... ?

EDIT: I do love Hallelujah... One of the greatest songs ever...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
*slap* Buy it.

I'll buy you.

Why buy one CD when I can get their whole discography for free? I don't even know if I like them enough yet.

But that's a different discussion...
We're only strays.
King Crimson
Porcupine Tree
Deaf
Lightshine
GORDIAN KNOT

etc
etc
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Asura
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Flaming Lips
Porcupine Tree
Explosions In The Sky
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Mogwai
Flaming Lips
65daysofstatic
Modest Mouse (pre-Good News...)
a few Arcade Fire songs
Flaming Lips
Flaming Lips

I'm biased...

EDDDDIT: Damn, how did I forget This Will Destroy You and Sigur Ros...I'm ashamed
Last edited by mental_zer0 at Dec 15, 2008,
Pelican for metal and post rock, they are one of my favourites.

Explosions in the Sky for softer stuff that's a lot like Sigur Ros.
Quote by wamguy89

This Will Destroy You.

they.are.un.real.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'll buy you.

Why buy one CD when I can get their whole discography for free? I don't even know if I like them enough yet.

But that's a different discussion...

Use myspace and youtube for sampling, artists like Porcupine Tree need all the money they can get.

<.<

>.>

I'm cheap though, you can still buy me

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I love Explosions, too, but I'm looking for something that's even softer than that... Maybe the kind of stuff I'm looking for doesn't really exist... Haha

EDIT: I LOVE This Will Destroy You. They are an amazing band. I've always thought they never got their deserved recognition. I'm glad someone knows them, though... Haha
Quote by mental_zer0
Flaming Lips
Porcupine Tree
Explosions In The Sky
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Mogwai
Flaming Lips
65daysofstatic
Modest Mouse (pre-Good News...)
a few Arcade Fire songs
Flaming Lips
Flaming Lips

I'm biased...

EDDDDIT: Damn, how did I forget This Will Destroy You and Sigur Ros...I'm ashamed

best post in this thread...

Brian Eno and Robert Fripp did a couple soundscape albums together

Check out Ulver's "Themes from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell" as its less cluttered than their other electronic albums. (on the whole) "Blood Inside" and "Perdition City" are also great

If you do decide for heavier stuff....

Isis - Panopticon and Oceanic are a must
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora and Blood in Our Wells
Agalloch - the song Limbs from Ashes Against the Grain, and the Our Fortress is Burning Trio
Burzum - Filosofem album
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
basically what every one else is saying.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.