can someone tell me how i can stop my guitar from buzzing. It has gotten to a stage where it has become unplayable because the buzzing sound is so loud. To stop it i can plug/unplug the lead in continuesly untill it stops or i can giggle it around in the input jack and it will eventually stop it, but after a few minutes, or if the guitar or lead is knocked it will stat again. Will replacing the input jack fix this problem or is it something else. Any help would be greatly appreated.
Thanks in advance
Sh-sh-sh-shield the cavity.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Basically take everything out and line the inside of your guitar with aluminum foil, then reassemble. Of course I would replace the jack/resolder and if that doesn't work THEN shield it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Can you use any input jack? i have an ibenez guitar do i need an ibenez input jack or do i just get anything? Thanks for the help
I recommend a switchcraft jack. Worth spending the extra dollar rather than on a cheap, bad one
It's not a damn bad ground, and the question has been answered. Jesus...

Cross: Maybe. Better to just enclose the guts in a 'metal box' of foil, though. Even though you don't want to. Up to you, really.
Eh. I'm just wary of cutting wires, which the above link suggests I do. The buzzing isn't until I get to pretty high volume/gain levels, but it'd be nice to cut it almost completely. I doubt the guitar has any shielding at all, it's a cheap strat knock-off, though it plays and sounds pretty well. I don't want to kill it.

Also, I know NOTHING about wiring. Things like killswitches and the such make me curious, but I could use a REALLY basic tutorial or something. That even explains the terms first. For example, I've figured out what the "pots" were and whatnot, but I have no idea what the difference between a 500k or 250k is, the disadvantages or advantages of each, etc. I wouldn't have a clue how to wire my pickups if I replaced them. Anybody have a really, really easy to follow overview or anything? Or just care to enlighten me with any of their wisdom? I'm not stupid, just all of the web sites I've come across have sort of skipped over the basics. And yes, I tried the FAQ thread and all that.
As far as doing the shielding as according to the link above, it's not too complicated. The only wire you actually cut is the one going to ground on the tremolo system of your guitar. You can even avoid cutting that if you just desolder it by opening up the back of your guitar. It will be the one wire that is soldered to the metal plate in the back. After doing that you just do what the tutorial says and cover everything with aluminum foil. Then poke the ground wire, which is the one from the back, back through the hole to reattach it where it was.
The star-wire grounding is a good idea too. What it does is ground everything in your guitar including the metal 'box' you put around the inside of your guitar. What you would do is get a metal ring, like a washer of some kind, and you screw it into your body cavity (make sure you use a short screw) so that it's fairly flush with the aluminum or other conductive material you've used. You solder the wire from the back portion of your guitar to that ring instead of to the pot where all of the ground wires go. Ideally everything should be grounded through the aluminum shielding, eliminating the need for you to attach all of the ground wires to a single ground point. If they aren't all connected to ground, you'll still have that same buzzing sound.
Oh. That actually makes sense. I guess I'll just have to see what I'm going to do when I open it up. Can't hurt to screw around with it a little, I'll just have to be sure to take a picture of the original wiring and all. . .I need a close up look at one of the pots though. Not knowing where the wires connect to them is becoming a problem in trying to learn more about it.