Page 1 of 2
Hey. I need some info on pickups..right now i have 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil on my guitar, they are ****ty ones and i wouldn't know what brand..so christmas is comming up soon and i want to get a humbucker probebly from dilmarzio. I like soloing and on the pickups i have right now i can't even tap properly on the lower strings..I need a humbucker that i can do alot with and play really clean and fast in distortion. Is one humbucker enough for that? and how does it all work..would i have to replace my bridge pickups or the other ones? haha i don't even really know which one does what Oh and right now i usually only use the one for metal riffing..ya know muting n s.h!t and the one for soloing that gives much of a fuller sound..i wouldnt know where they are located tho hehe..thanks for the help
Quote by =V=Hyper
Hey. I need some info on pickups..right now i have 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil on my guitar, they are ****ty ones and i wouldn't know what brand..so christmas is comming up soon and i want to get a humbucker probebly from dilmarzio. I like soloing and on the pickups i have right now i can't even tap properly on the lower strings..I need a humbucker that i can do alot with and play really clean and fast in distortion. Is one humbucker enough for that? and how does it all work..would i have to replace my bridge pickups or the other ones? haha i don't even really know which one does what Oh and right now i usually only use the one for metal riffing..ya know muting n s.h!t and the one for soloing that gives much of a fuller sound..i wouldnt know where they are located tho hehe..thanks for the help

these are problems with your technique and require practice.
Ah man don't give me that cuz i played on a other guitar and i clearly noticed the difference. Its about the signal going trough the amp. Didn't i just say i practice alot of Paul Gilbert's stuff...you would need some more skill than just tapping to pull that off. and tapping was just a example
Last edited by =V=Hyper at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by =V=Hyper
Ah man don't give me that cuz i played on a other guitar and i clearly noticed the difference. Its about the signal going trough the amp. Didn't i just say i practice alot of Paul Gilbert's stuff...you would need some more skill than just tapping to pull that off. and tapping was just a example

well then perhaps it was the set up of the guitar you were playing, or the amp was higher gain. however I can tap and play 'fastly and cleanly' acoustically on my electric which leads me to suspect it has nothing to do with your pickups, short of them being broken. If you really want a better hi gain tone then look at evolutions or an X2N if you want to go crazy, but a new amp in the long run would be contribute much more to your sound.

Edit: and the fuller rounder pickup is your neck one and the sharper one is the bridge.
My amp is fine and pickups are also totally fine..its really just the pickups..i think the pickups i played on were dmz on a ibanez and that guitar was around 600 bucks but i also have played on alot of differend guitars were it was the same thing as on mine...the difference is one you have to tap on really hard and still kinda difficult on the lower and even upper strings...the other guitar you'd just have to tap lightly and it will come trough the amp perfectly without alot of effort.. this is the best i can explain it since im not even english haha. But yeah i do know my guitar Sh!t but just didn't learn too much about pickups yet.
If you want "dilmarzio" pickles...err I mean pickups, then check out the Evolution, Steve Vai's pickup.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
But is it okey just get one pickup and still get the same result? Would i need to change my bridge pickup or whut?
It is probably your guitar. The ease of tapping probably was the different fret size or lower action. Ease of tapping doesn't come from pickups, it comes from the guitar. Try tapping acoustically on the guitar and you will probably notice that it is probably still difficult.
Quote by =V=Hyper
My amp is fine and pickups are also totally fine..its really just the pickups..i think the pickups i played on were dmz on a ibanez and that guitar was around 600 bucks but i also have played on alot of differend guitars were it was the same thing as on mine...the difference is one you have to tap on really hard and still kinda difficult on the lower and even upper strings...the other guitar you'd just have to tap lightly and it will come trough the amp perfectly without alot of effort.. this is the best i can explain it since im not even english haha. But yeah i do know my guitar Sh!t but just didn't learn too much about pickups yet.

HI
What guitar is it? And you would have to change whatever pickup you are going to play...
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
lol this is all confusing

i too, cant see how you blame pickups for not being able to play well. pickups just change your tone.

unless you are talking about dynamics. some pickups (like active pickups) will alter the volume of a note, so no matter if you hit the note light or hard the signal going to the amp will be just as strong. a good example of this is the dimarzio evolution pickup

search pickups here and you will find a thread with info on alot of pickups.

change the pickup you wanna change, whether neck or bridge. thats all you have to do.

but i really doubt pickups will change anything. tapping and playing clean and fast is a technique thing.

if you are a beginner DO NOT get dimarzio evolutions. they will make you sound like crap
You guys wanna have some group sex?
Quote by Masry

but i really doubt pickups will change anything. tapping and playing clean and fast is a technique thing.

if you are a beginner DO NOT get dimarzio evolutions. they will make you sound like crap

Pickups do matter quite a bit actually, I've played an Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups which didn't have the same playability as my custom but still had quite a bit clearer tone but my custom guitar which plays much better than it had a muddier tone, pickups do matter.

Just asking, not trying to be an ass but, why would using those make you sound like crap?
XianXiuHong - You just proved the point. Changing pickups affects tone, not playability and technique. He says that he has to tap harder on his guitar than he did on the Ibanez. That has very little to do with pickups.

I have a Strat and an RG. Tapping on the strat is significantly more difficult than on the RG even tho the strat's single coil is hotter than the RG's.

The Evos pick up every single nuance that you play. So if you play sloppy, it will sound terrible. Dimarzio has a pickup finder on its site. You should use it
There is nothing wrong with your pickups, you're not even in a position to assess that.

Learn to play and also look at getting a better amp - you don't need new pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I get his point. He means his tapping doesnt work on the low strings because of the pickups, they arent picking up the low string for some reason.

I think?

Buy a set of EMG's, if you can get the money. Get someone who knows what theyre doing to put it in.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Exactly dude..People here shouldnt tell me to learn to play because i really can play. Its just that im unsure where this problem is comming from so i thought it were the pickups. There's a PG Lesson on youtube called TG Lesson..its a hard but awesome exercise with a lick that can be tapped as wel as played without tapping. Now i can play that b!tch with no problem on a friends guitar but on my guitar no matter how hard i tap it doesnt go trough much at all, so i thought that it were the pickups..and i still do lol. I have a VOX 30 watt tubeamp and i played my buddy's guitar on it also and amp isn't the damn problem hehe.
Then your guitar is badly setup or needs new strings, it's nothing to do with the pickups.

What exact model of amp do you have?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Dude, the poor guys just wants to get better pickups!!!

Dimarzio combinations are on their website, i.e. the Fred and Joe, Evolution and Pro, etc...
Or perhaps Super Distortions for old school sounding metal...

The bridge pickup is for more treble/clarity needs. The rhythm pickup is for more mid and bass emphasis, less power/distortion, and more warmth/roundness... The reason for the difference is the difference kinds of pickups, and more importantly the placement regarding the strings and the pickup below it...

Sorry about the other guys, they got a little too excited about being able to show off again... I would like to know if anyone could play something like "Eruption", etc.. on a cheap guitar like a squier or epiphone w/o changing pickups and some of the other parts... It takes a quality guitar, not expensive one, but quality guitar to make good music...
Quote by wannaberocker19
Dude, the poor guys just wants to get better pickups!!!

Dimarzio combinations are on their website, i.e. the Fred and Joe, Evolution and Pro, etc...
Or perhaps Super Distortions for old school sounding metal...

The bridge pickup is for more treble/clarity needs. The rhythm pickup is for more mid and bass emphasis, less power/distortion, and more warmth/roundness... The reason for the difference is the difference kinds of pickups, and more importantly the placement regarding the strings and the pickup below it...

Sorry about the other guys, they got a little too excited about being able to show off again... I would like to know if anyone could play something like "Eruption", etc.. on a cheap guitar like a squier or epiphone w/o changing pickups and some of the other parts... It takes a quality guitar, not expensive one, but quality guitar to make good music...

Absolute bollocks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by wannaberocker19

This is exactly what i meant. People are too dumb to see.
Quote by wannaberocker19

LOLWTF. Eddie himself played it on a frankenstrat, a guitar that barely cost 200$.
Yeah well..there's alot of guitars out there that you couldn't play it on just because of quality.
This is a technique issue. Nothing more. Equipment does not make you sound cleaner when you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

/thread
Do your strings buzz? MAybe your notes just get chocked off to much due to a bad set up. Try rasing your action or maybe raise your pickups on the bass side.

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by XianXiuHong
Pickups do matter quite a bit actually, I've played an Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups which didn't have the same playability as my custom but still had quite a bit clearer tone but my custom guitar which plays much better than it had a muddier tone, pickups do matter.

Just asking, not trying to be an ass but, why would using those make you sound like crap?

well ya pickups do matter when it comes to tone. but you can tap on an acoustic, or an electric unplugged...

i seriously doubt new pickups will make him be able to tap.

but as for the dimarzios, i was talking specifically talking about the evolution ones. from what i read about them they are really bad for beginners. they bring out everything you do so much that if you do a mistake it will stick out really bad.
You guys wanna have some group sex?
Quote by wannaberocker19

Your username just about sums up the validity of that comment.

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
This is a technique issue. Nothing more. Equipment does not make you sound cleaner when you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

/thread

You are a stubborn little bastard. Didn't i just say that its not technique related?? i know how to tap..why don't you ask yo momma
Quote by Masry

but as for the dimarzios, i was talking specifically talking about the evolution ones. from what i read about them they are really bad for beginners. they bring out everything you do so much that if you do a mistake it will stick out really bad.

Thats it! I would probably need one of them! Since i'm very precise anywayz..So is it okey to only get 1 Dimarzio evolution humbucker? Where is the pickup located for the best soloing?
Last edited by =V=Hyper at Dec 16, 2008,
I have just found this on a website about the Dimarzio evolution. This will prove you all wrong..
Tech Talk: The Evolution bridge pickup works best for soloing where the sound must cut through. Low notes are very tight, and the highs have a lot of presence, enabling the pickup to be heard in almost any situation. Obviously, the Evolution was designed for Steve's Ibanez® Jems, but it can add a lot of punch and definition to Les Pauls and similar set-neck guitars – even the lowest bass notes really jump out of the amp, and feedback occurs easily with a wide range of harmonic overtones.. See what i mean?? If you still don't then you aren't smart lol
They mean the sound will cut through the mix (as in over other instruments) better, not just always be heard as if some pickups will just all the sudden not work in certain situations.... Ill ask once agian, how is your guitars set up? Does it buzz? What guitar is it?

My Build IT'S DONE!
The guitar was around 400 to 500 bucks..no brand and its more of a ibanez style with a floyd rose tremolo setup. 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil in the middle, i don't know what brand pickups i have. They play okey like soloing and all the other stuff but i know its missing something. I want the all can do pickups were i can play anything i want on cuz i can either sit there and tap my finger till they brake OR gently tap and get a nice full sound! Again..tapping is the best example i can come up with.
Quote by pwrmax
I'd say some EMGs

EMG's for Gilbert? Jesus you can really see why this forum gets slated on other guitar forums when advise like that is handed out....

If you want Gilbert's pickups go for

Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge

Dimarzio Paf pro / Humbucker from Hell in the Neck

And not 1 but 2 people have recommended EMG's
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by sharpant
EMG's for Gilbert? Jesus you can really see why this forum gets slated on other guitar forums when advise like that is handed out....

If you want Gilbert's pickups go for

Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge

Dimarzio Paf pro / Humbucker from Hell in the Neck

And not 1 but 2 people have recommended EMG's

So its alright if i leave my single coil as it is and get those 2 bridge n neck pickups? Also will i be able to pull more stuff off easyer like on the other guitar i played on if i only get a new pickup setup? lol if Paul uses those then im sure i will too, but thats only if its really all about the pickups. So far the only part on a guitar that i can thing of to make it better would be the pickups
Page 1 of 2