Page 1 of 2
alternative to the barre or the other one?

Edit: and yes ^ 'if you cant barre you can barely play guitar,' not putting you down just pointing it out that you'll have to learn it eventually, just practice. The F is the hardest barre chord as its closest to the nut.
learn to barre now, no point trying to avoid them
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Tyranus-3121
learn to barre now, no point trying to avoid them

Yeah, this. F barred was always a hard chord for me, but the more I practiced the easier it got.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
if you need a quick fix play just the top 5 strings holding the top 2 strings with your first finger rather than barring all the way across, its what i did for the first year, then i learnt to barre and all things became
~Defiant~
the problem with f is it isn't actually an open chord. it's an e chord barred at the first fret, the open version is just the barred version with the bottom 2 strings removed from the chord so while you can either play it the "open" way, barre it or,
as i find myself usually playing the chord, play it as the open version but wrap your thumb around to fret the note on the low e string leaving out the a (muting it with the tip of my thumb.) this way might be the hardest but idk once you get it it just seems to flow better when you're playing it with other open chords since you aren't switching between playing chords open style and barre style. it also leaves your pinky free for adding accents. dont struggle with it at first if you cant get it though, i defiantly learned the chord in its barre form though.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't do that. Learn barre chords. NOW!

lol
dude its all opinion
i can bar perfectly but i choose to fret the lowest string with my thumb.
idk it just "feels" more right
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
E-X
A-X
D-3
G-2
B-1
E-1

if your a lazy bum, you can also move that down a whole step so it will be a G, and again and you have A, take that A and make it an Am and you got he first 4 notes of stairway to heaven
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
lol
dude its all opinion
Feel free to be "punk," "kvlt," a "rebel," or anything along those lines, but playing chords in a stupid way does not help you out.

Learn your barre chords.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Feel free to be "punk," "kvlt," a "rebel," or anything along those lines, but playing chords in a stupid way does not help you out.

Learn your barre chords.

hahahaha
i love how you think a different way to fret a chord is "stupid".
im not trying to be a rebel or a punk, im just trying to tell TS that if he finds an easier way to play the chord, go ahead!

i dont know what music means to you, but to me music is a way of expressing myself, so i really dont care if YOU (someone on the internet who doesnt affect my life at all), if YOU dont like the way i play chords.
=]

so, to TS, if you find a better way to play chords, in YOUR opinion, go for it dude.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
lol
dude its all opinion

and is bad for your thumb in the long run.
Quote by stephen_rettie
and is bad for your thumb in the long run.

?
why?
john frusiante plays like that (i dont know how to spell his last name, the guy from RHCP)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I really doubt a guitarist with any credibility would not play barre chords, favoring a goofy, asinine style. Songs like Purple Haze require you to use your thumb, but don't use it because you don't like barre chords.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I really doubt a guitarist with any credibility would not play barre chords, favoring a goofy, asinine style. Songs like Purple Haze require you to use your thumb, but don't use it because you don't like barre chords.

i dont want to argue
so to you and the other guy, i quit, you win.
there you go
its WAAAY better to play regular bar chords, instead of making and using your own style.
happy?

EDIT: i dont want to argue
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I couldn't care less if you fuck up your hand. I might get to operate on it someday (hah, a chick in orthopaedic surgery).

?
whatever dude
i dont want to argue
why dont we both try to be mature and stop this stupid argueing
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
?
whatever dude
i dont want to argue
why dont we both try to be mature and stop this stupid argueing

we're not arguing we're discrediting your argument. as far as original way of playing, it doesnt sound any better it just isn't good technique, this is a beginner he should sop bad habits now.
Quote by stephen_rettie
we're not arguing we're discrediting your argument. as far as original way of playing, it doesnt sound any better it just isn't good technique, this is a beginner he should sop bad habits now.

i dont want to argue so im not coming to this thread anymore
you win
happy

EDIT: hahaha HEY YOU SAID SOP NOT STOP
ok no more
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i dont want to argue so im not coming to this thread anymore
you win
happy

ok no more

my appalling typing is lessened by my winning.
so yes very happy.
You were warned, but you just had to do this:

Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
Okay, cocksucker. You want me to be a real bitch? I could call you a fucking cunt a hundred times, though you'd break into tears before I even got into double-digits you fucking pussy who can't tolerate being cursed at. However, I would prefer not to call you words like prick and schmuck and putz, though they are all true. I will instead rip you apart without any further profanity:

You are simply being a foolish little kid who wants to do something unusual to make yourself stand out since you have no other aspect of your playing that separates you from other guitarists. You can continue on this path and risk rather unpleasant damage to your fretting hand and an inability to play other chords properly. I won't care about that and the ironic (or something like that) part of this is that I will forget about you by tomorrow morning and in a few years when you come back, complaining about why your hand is in agony, and I'll likely give you a very helpful response (considering that I'll likely be a med student, though if I'm on the UG in med school, maybe I won't be doing so well).

/bitchfit
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Okay, cocksucker. You want me to be a real bitch? I could call you a fucking cunt a hundred times, though you'd break into tears before I even got into double-digits you fucking pussy who can't tolerate being cursed at. However, I would prefer not to call you words like prick and schmuck and putz, though they are all true. I will instead rip you apart without any further profanity:

You are simply being a foolish little kid who wants to do something unusual to make yourself stand out since you have no other aspect of your playing that separates you from other guitarists. You can continue on this path and risk rather unpleasant damage to your fretting hand and an inability to play other chords properly. I won't care about that and the ironic (or something like that) part of this is that I will forget about you by tomorrow morning and in a few years when you come back, complaining about why your hand is in agony, and I'll likely give you a very helpful response (considering that I'll likely be a med student, though if I'm on the UG in med school, maybe I won't be doing so well).

/bitchfit

i totally didnt read any of that
dont you have anything better to do
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
dont you have anything better to do
No. I'm stuck on campus after the semester has ended with no one around, trying to fix an oncology experiment a God damn MD/PhD student screwed up, and his work in my lab is the basis of his doctoral thesis.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No. I'm stuck on campus after the semester has ended with no one around, trying to fix an oncology experiment a God damn MD/PhD student screwed up, and his work in my lab is the basis of his doctoral thesis.

im proud of you

i come to this thread and try to tell the TS that its ok if you play a different style, and i get called a cocksucker......
i still dont get why im being called a cocksucker and you had a "bitch fit" on me.
but whatever
i have a life, and im going to bed so i can go to school tomorow.
bye bye
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
haha

I really love you guys...this is so much more interesting than the moral principles of Friedrich Nietzche.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Have fun in high school tomorrow! I'll be working on research to publish my 11th (something like that) paper this year from a lab at an Ivy League medical school, though we won't be getting it out in 2008.

Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i still dont get why im being called a cocksucker and you had a "bitch fit" on me.
Were you or were you not warned in advance?
lol things can get out of hand easily.....to the original poster...definetely learn your barre chords or anything else for that matter with the reccomended technique, posture etc. So many people talk about how they play this odd way because it feels natural yet they need to back this up with storys about how guitarist x plays that way so it must be good. Stick with proper technique and if at some point you decide another way is easiest then do whats comfortable but when learning the basics try to stick to guidelines as much as possible so that a) you develop good technique and b) you dont end up injuring yourself which could result in a nice long break from playing.
Andy
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Obviously you should learn barre chords, but there are certainly advantages to knowing alternative ways of playing chords. you're just discouraging this knowledge with an immature, stubborn attitude, needlessly attacking those giving plausible alternatives that the ts was asking for.
Quote by Stash Jam
Obviously you should learn barre chords, but there are certainly advantages to knowing alternative ways of playing chords. you're just discouraging this knowledge with an immature, stubborn attitude, needlessly attacking those giving plausible alternatives that the ts was asking for.

=]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
?
why?
john frusiante plays like that (i dont know how to spell his last name, the guy from RHCP)

Reasons you are wrong-
1. You will never be good at guitar if you use shortcuts, players like vai, petrucci, lane, they are masters and they don't use shortcuts. Note: Petrucci anchors, which is poor technique, but he can play a ****ing barre chord.
2. John Frusciante (I don't care how to spell his name) is an overrated, arrogant arsehole. People act like he is a guitar god, he isn't, he's just in a famous radio rock band. He can't play fast, but that doesn't matter, because he has 'emutionz'. Well sorry, but textbook pentatonic soloing with tons of bends does not equal emotion, it just equals 'I can't play any other scales'. Sorry to RHCP fans.
No surprise...a Dream Theater fan just won.

Stash, I am not needlessly attacking someone giving useful information in an immature way; he is outright wrong and was corrected. I warned him not to do something stupid and he ignored it, so I followed through with exactly what I said I would.

Is cursing immature? I don't really care; it's so pervasive around me that I wasn't even phased when I was called a "cunt-withholding cum guzzler" the other day. Is cursing effective? Schyah! My senior year of high school, I'm the only senior starting; the other four starters on my basketball team were juniors. We got into a fairly deep hole against a huge rival and trailed by 13 at halftime because those penetrate-kickouts that usually went for 3s or long 2s that usually dropped were not dropping. I was livid about my teammates' shooting and flipped at halftime; my coach didn't have to say a word. The first play we run, I drive hard to the hoop, get doubled, kick it out to Kristen who hits a 3, our first 3 in the game not made by me (I had two to open the game). My girls got the message to shoot better and we won by 16, hitting some ridiculous number of consecutive shots to start the half.

I played point guard if that wasn't clear.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Stash, I am not needlessly attacking someone giving useful information in an immature way; he is outright wrong and was corrected. I warned him not to do something stupid and he ignored it, so I followed through with exactly what I said I would.

Is cursing immature? I don't really care; it's so pervasive around me that I wasn't even phased when I was called a "cunt-withholding cum guzzler" the other day. Is cursing effective? Schyah! My senior year of high school, I'm the only senior starting; the other four starters on my basketball team were juniors. We got into a fairly deep hole against a huge rival and trailed by 13 at halftime because those penetrate-kickouts that usually went for 3s or long 2s that usually dropped were not. I was livid about my teammates' shooting and flipped at halftime; my coach didn't have to say a word. The first play we run, I drive hard to the hoop, get doubled, kick it out to Kristen who hits a 3, our first 3 in the game not made by me. My girls got the message to shoot better and we won by 16 and hit some ridiculous number of shots to start the half.

Well, he wasn't 'outright wrong'. The ts asked for an alternative and a common alternative that is used by many pros was brought up. Then someone makes a typo and you say "If anyone (aside from me) comments on him saying "sop" rather than "stop" I'm going to throw a bitch fit." then go off on a rant, cussing out a kid in high school - that's the immature part.

I agree that barre chords should be learned and not avoided because of their initial difficulty, but I also recognize the value in alternative methods of playing them and would encourage people to learn both and use what you feel is best for any given situation.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Is cursing immature? I don't really care; it's so pervasive around me that I wasn't even phased when I was called a "cunt-withholding cum guzzler" the other day. Is cursing effective? Schyah! My senior year of high school, I'm the only senior starting; the other four starters on my basketball team were juniors. We got into a fairly deep hole against a huge rival and trailed by 13 at halftime because those penetrate-kickouts that usually went for 3s or long 2s that usually dropped were not dropping. I was livid about my teammates' shooting and flipped at halftime; my coach didn't have to say a word. The first play we run, I drive hard to the hoop, get doubled, kick it out to Kristen who hits a 3, our first 3 in the game not made by me (I had two to open the game). My girls got the message to shoot better and we won by 16, hitting some ridiculous number of consecutive shots to start the half.

You people are amusing. Had you stopped at cursing though you'd have retained any shred of respect any passive observer would have had about you. It's the pathetic show of disguised narcissism that followed that you should have refrained from? I mean, people talk so much about how they shouldn't give out names, telephone numbers or addressers on the web but really, is it okay to share with the whole damn world all your inner workings? Amusing though. -chuckle chuckle-

And nothing, I mean NOTHING, is more important than Friedrich Nietsche. Basically proved to me that you don't have to be crazy to think different; just have to be crazy so that 100 years later people would read about how different you thought.
im done with this thread
and the past few people, thank you for realizing that im not completely wrong
thats it
im leaving
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
You people are amusing. Had you stopped at cursing though you'd have retained any shred of respect any passive observer would have had about you.
Not that anybody cares...but I'd like to say that, as a passive observer, I respect all parties involved in the above 'argument'.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
And nothing, I mean NOTHING, is more important than Friedrich Nietsche. Basically proved to me that you don't have to be crazy to think different; just have to be crazy so that 100 years later people would read about how different you thought.
Yeah, that and the God comment. I myself am hoping that when my paper about how Ghandi was a douchebag gets published people will start noticing me.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by bangoodcharlote

we won sue! we did it!
TS, the moral is learn barre chords and be aware of other forms of playing chords (although playing a barre chord with your thumb over the top isnt another form, it the same chord with terrible technique)
Quote by stephen_rettie
we won sue! we did it!
Dribble penetration and kicking it out to an open shooter always works!

To the people who have commented on what I've said, do you not pay attention to MT?

Moral of the story to the idiot who had to make the "Sop" comment: When someone assures you that she will destroy you if you do something stupid and completely in your control, don't do that.

No one needs to respond to this. The thread should die.
Page 1 of 2