I'm quite proficient at playing black metal and tremolo picking on guitar, but I haven't figured it out on bass yet. Whenever I try using my fingers it doesn't sound right, kind of hard to explain, but it's like using a strum pattern of upstroke, upstroke, upstroke, upstroke etc which doesn't sound right because tremolo picking is downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, upstroke

and I can't get it right with a pick either. I tried using a pick after noticing Abbath in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32n1AK6o5i0
..there is bass in black metal?
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
So whats your question? I'm just gonna say keep practising at it, thats all you can really do.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by djn419
..there is bass in black metal?

Varg Vikernes, maybe? anyway, I think he's playing with a pick, that would explain it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I don't see what the question is...
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
i'm asking if there's a way to use your fingers to make it sound right, but it doesn't sound right to me because it's a pattern up up, up, up, up instead of down, up, down, up

or if the answer is a pick can someone recommend a specific one? I use Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 mm for bass picks
I'd go with a thinner pick. I get more attack from thin picks, which is useful in black metal.
It might not work for you, but it's worth a shot.
Also play closer to the bridge (with fingers and pick). You may also want to try increasing the treble on your amp.
A pick is pretty much required if you want to play bm, unless you have godly endurance in your fingers.. I use a big stubby 2.0 mm.
------------------