Instead of just relaxing my pinky when it's not being used, I point it out, for some reason when I'm doing my chromatic exercises my pinky will not stay close to the strings. Any help?

Also I know this isn't really advanced technique but it's technique, so yeah.
It's probably not important. That's more of a preference thing so everybody's gonna do what feels the most comfortable for them.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
It's probably not important. That's more of a preference thing so everybody's gonna do what feels the most comfortable for them.

if he plans on playing fast at all its VERY important.

i do the same thing, try this: do all your excersises facing a wall, so your fingers arent touching the wall but if you lift them any more than necessary it will hit the wall.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by salsawords

It does matter, a lot actually. Do you see many fast players that have their pinkys way the hell out there when they're shredding? I think so.

TK1. I'll try that. Sort of hard with my room being such a mess and a 12 lb guitar. I'll report back on how it goes.
Quote by Rickjames730
It does matter, a lot actually. Do you see many fast players that have their pinkys way the hell out there when they're shredding? I don't think so.

TK1. I'll try that. Sort of hard with my room being such a mess and a 12 lb guitar. I'll report back on how it goes.
Fixed.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Rickjames730
It does matter, a lot actually. Do you see many fast players that have their pinkys way the hell out there when they're shredding? I think so.

Quote by ramm_ty
It does matter, a lot actually. Do you see many fast players that have their pinkys way the hell out there when they're shredding? I don't think so.

Mmhmm.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by which ones pink
Indeed, you do see a lot of shredders with flying pinkies (and other fingers). But does that mean it's good technique? Hell no.
You don't seen any REALLY fast players with flying fingers, that's for sure.
Quote by TGautier13
I've practiced both methods and the only time I find it's effective to have your pinky "flying" is for some nice chicken-pickin'.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Its a common thing but does hurt your speed. Ingrained from bad technique while practicing your scales. Hard to fix it but you just have to think about it until you get it down where it should be.
Hit the sticky. But short version, spend some time playing slow enough that you can consciously tell your pinky to stay down, and work back up gradually.

IMO, it's not a total deal breaker if you want to play fast - but it will cause some extra tension that won't help.
I think when your pinky stays out it means your hand is not relaxed.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████