Page 1 of 3
I already had the tuners and pickups so I just realized this can be another 100 GBP build lol.
I am starting my next guitar build. It's going to be a copy of Jerry Garcia's tiger. It will be neck through mahogany neck with a maple strip down the center. The body wings will be mahogany sandwiched between quilted maple. 24 3/4" scale rosewood fingerboard. Jumbo stainless steel frets. Output jack recessed into the side like on my bass. Professional lacquer finish. The bridge pickup will be a dimarzio double whammy, the middle will be a dimarzio air zone, and the neck is a single coil that I pulled out of an old Ibanez that sounds great. The tuners will be locking Schallers. Hope to get pics up soon.
This will be available for sale, it's like my dream guitar but I can always make another one. So if the right offer comes along I'll take it.
This sounds amazing! I want pics soon.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Thats awsome, if i get a job anytime soon ill be in touch lol.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I've got the wings and neck clamped up. The wings ended up being spanish cedar which is supposed to be a really good tonewood. In the beginning it was going to be more like the Tiger but I guess I've changed pretty much everything.

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 17, 2008,
I had to start the neck over but decided not to do the maple strip. I didn't think the neck with the strip looked too good with the body pieces after seeing it. Mahogany with 2 maple thin maple strips would have looked better but I didn't think of that until after the headstock was glued on. I also rough cut the body. I'll sand it tomorrow rout the control cavity and output jack cavity and do the carving. I'll also glue some maple wings onto the headstock and glue on a bookmatched quilted maple veneer (scrap from the body) if the truss rod comes from stewmac.

dude, those wings are actually pretty sweet. i love the shape of the horns.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Wow, amazingly difficult build here. I would love to buy it if I was financially stable.

To anyone that doesn't know what the end is supposed to look like:

http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Which aspects of the original do you plan to incorporate?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Which aspects of the original do you plan to incorporate?

I was planning to have more in the beginning but now it seems to be just the shape, pickup setup, and the carves (to some extent I'm a little scared about ruining this top with an angle grinder).
Preamp?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Preamp?

Nah, just the h-h-s. With a separate On-off-coil tap switch for each except just on-off for the single coil. I'm not too good with electronics and can't even begin to understand how Jerry had the actual tiger setup.
http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm

But since you say you aren't good with electronics, I would ask about that page in the wiring diagrams thread. I think it would be really cool to do it the way Jerry had it.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
i know exactly how I'd do that carve, i really think that would be an easy one to do. All id do was mark the areas that are supposed to be at the lowest point of the carve and route them to their level and then take the carving tool to do the rough out and then go over it with my power sander and then id be finished. it really wouldnt take long. If you want i could give you more details on how id do it. I really think my method is safer than the angle grinder. and just as quick.
Quote by chuckflan333
http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm

But since you say you aren't good with electronics, I would ask about that page in the wiring diagrams thread. I think it would be really cool to do it the way Jerry had it.

Yeah, it would be cool I just don't see the use for me atleast I just play at home direct to the amp with maybe a distortion or wah pedal so I try to keep it simple.
Someday I think I'll do a copy without so many changes. This is more influenced by than a copy. It will be my last personal electric for a while I'm getting sick of all these electrics and am going to start an acoustic.
As far as the carve I think I might do it Carousel's way I'm not sure I guess it depends on what I feel like doing when I get to it. I'm pretty good with the angle grinder and have no problem controlling it. I just keep thinking I'll mess it up lol.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 19, 2008,
SEXY ALERT
SEXY ALERT

If this ends up being as sexy as we're all hoping, the second the finished pics get up, I'm sure there'll be at least half a dozen simultaneous orgasms :P
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
I got the wings sanded and carved today and I routed the control cavity. I couldn't fit the recessed output into it so it's going to have an sg style output jack. I still have to carve the back of the bottom wing. I did the carves differently than the tiger, I like them this way better it reminds me of some of the alembic guitars and I think it flows better with the maple.

I can't decide weather or not to do an arm contour or not, it would be more comfortable but it will change the look a lot. This is how I'd do it, any opinions?

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 19, 2008,
lol it looks like your guitar goes through the table...

EDIT:

MONEYZ
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 19, 2008,
Dude, you can't
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
I rough shaped the neck, routed for the truss rod and have the maple wings and the veneer glued on.

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 24, 2008,
Wow, this looks amazing! What style headstock are you going for?
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by ezlntrooper
Wow, this looks amazing! What style headstock are you going for?

I have no clue on the headstock, I'm going to design one and make a template tomorrow probably.
This build has me all hot and sweaty.

Nice build though , Grateful Dead are one of my favourite bands.
I got the headstock shaped, drilled, and i got it glued up today. Should be ready for finishing in a few days.

dang that looks awesome. I'd like to do this one day, when I have the money and the tools.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
dude in a little while im going to be doing the same thing with a washburn bass, except im gonna do what you did in your other build and glue a pre-made fretboard on a piece of wood with a truss rod and call it a neck. btw did you just take a fretboard off of a pre- existing neck? and if you did, how did you do that without ruining or cracking the fretboard?
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by reed12321
dude in a little while im going to be doing the same thing with a washburn bass, except im gonna do what you did in your other build and glue a pre-made fretboard on a piece of wood with a truss rod and call it a neck. btw did you just take a fretboard off of a pre- existing neck? and if you did, how did you do that without ruining or cracking the fretboard?

I steamed off the fingerboard, it took some of the maple neck off since it's not as hard you just have to be careful not to get into the fingerboard, it's pretty hard to save the neck. It worked pretty good leveling the frets did take a while though since everything changed moving it to a new neck. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by carousel182
^why didnt you just make a new fretboard?

This was on my bass build for the 100gbp thing. I had no money and just wanted a project so I used the hardware fretboard off of an old bass that had a warped neck. It cost me $15 plus strings to do the whole thing. A new fretboard would have been nicer though.
looks very sexy! Do you know how you'll finish it??
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Page 1 of 3