the cables i have are probally 20 yrs old. are the newer cables really better? and if so what are the best? in a reasonable price range.
The very best cables are going to be the $200+ cables such as Solid cables. Extremely stiff cables, they're ultra low resistance.

Cobalt cables are probably the best bang for buck cables but still they might be out of your price range by a hair. Cables under $35, I recommend planet waves all day.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Generally the industry standard for life, clarity, reliability and non-existant tone modification is the Mogami Gold series. 45-55USD depending on cable length.

I highly reccomend Mogami cables, its the of the SM57 regarding studio quality audio.

That reminds me; I should get a Mogami XLR for my SM57. =D

And, lastly, stay away from Monster. They advertise on their competing brands that they modify certain eq ranges. Why would you pay extra to have your signal modified?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
you can make the same high quality cables people sell yourself for a fraction of the cost as long as you are handy with a soldering iron.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
the best cable I have was smelted out of solid gold on Mount Olympus, it as then taken to Hades to put an everlasting curse on it and change its chemical properties so that it would be a cable.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Oh god not another "lol monster cable>all" thread.

EDIT: Maybe not.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
who could/would spend $10000 on an instrument cable?
if i had their money i'd burn mine.
All these cables are ridiculous. Until someone comes out with an A/B test of various brands to actually SHOW that they affect tone, I'm just going to keep using Live Wires and Musician's Gear and whatever other no name brand cables I've got sitting around.

The only thing that matters is shielding and build quality, and length plays a factor. If it's built well, it's less likely to break. Monster has so much rubbery plastic crap around their cables that they'll never bend enough to sever the connection inside, but they never fall to the ground quite right and the one Monster cable I had I tripped over constantly. I swapped it out for a Live Wire and I couldn't hear any difference.

Really, as long as they're shielded, a coat hanger will work fine. Some people even use power cords from old lamps.
There's a fantastic article about some of the myths being thrown around about what makes a cable good that I don't have on hand. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about and has that, It'd be good for anyone to read.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Hot Wire's are cheap, and good. Honestly, the difference between a $200 cable and a $20 cable is very, very minimal.
monster and mogami gold are way overpriced and overrated. Whirlwind is legit in my opinion. I also like using livewire when I play shows because I know if I break it (which I probably will) then I can just run over to guitar center with my receipt and grab new ones for free.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
monster and mogami gold are way overpriced and overrated. Whirlwind is legit in my opinion. I also like using livewire when I play shows because I know if I break it (which I probably will) then I can just run over to guitar center with my receipt and grab new ones for free.

how is mogami AND monster overrated, they're practically opposites...?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
how is mogami AND monster overrated, they're practically opposites...?

Monster screws up your guitars input jacks, mogami breaks off in your guitar imput jacks. I see what you're saying.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
they are both roughly $50 a cable, yet they are no better than a $15 cable, but people still rave about them.
I use Dimarzio cables and they have lasted me a year now. All the **** chords I bought through out the years lasted me around 3 months and then broke.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I have a 10' live wire that I use in my effects loop that has lasted me for 3 or 4 years. The only cables I break are the ones I destroy at gigs being badass
so basclly all around im seeing livewire'sare the most recommended. are they guitar centers brand? that seems to be what iget out of this. and if they break i just swap em out?
thanks guys, wish i knew as much as you all lol
You guys know you can easily fix broken cables, right? It takes about 5 minutes and soldering iron.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
You guys know you can easily fix broken cables, right? It takes about 5 minutes and soldering iron.

However, most of the higher end cables you buy are going to have a free replacement warranty. If you tamper with the product to that extent, many of the companies, including Monster will not take it back.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'd rather spend 3.99$ on a 10 foot Musician's Gear cable than whatever any of the other brands charge, because it's easier and faster to fix it myself than to take it to the store and get it replaced. And I spent less money to begin with. Besides, even if you want to replace it, they don't need to know that you cut off an inch of cable, and no GC employee is going to check under the plug to see if it's been messed with.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
I'd rather spend 3.99$ on a 10 foot Musician's Gear cable than whatever any of the other brands charge, because it's easier and faster to fix it myself than to take it to the store and get it replaced. And I spent less money to begin with. Besides, even if you want to replace it, they don't need to know that you cut off an inch of cable, and no GC employee is going to check under the plug to see if it's been messed with.

With all of the cables that don't have the screw on shroud thingy, you have to cut open the plug to get to the goods.

A cheap cable isn't going to sound like a $35+ cable. Don't get me wrong, the difference between a Dimarzio $25+ (best bang for buck period) and say a $100 mogami (crap construction, good sound while it lasts) is going to negligible but there is a difference. I really like planet waves because it's not out of anyone's price range, they have a great sound, and good construction.

Replaced all my instrument, speaker, and patch cables (14 total) with planet waves, travel and play at least twice weekly, haven't had one issue since i switched to them over a year ago.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I haven't had one issue with Musician's Gear, Live Wire, or the freebies that came with my first instruments. Except one freebie I had one of my friends broke cause he abused it. I just fixed it, no problem since.

As for sound, I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote before: Until someone comes out with an A/B test of various brands to actually SHOW that they affect tone, I'm just going to keep using Live Wires and Musician's Gear and whatever other no name brand cables I've got sitting around.
I would AB test but I only have a few monster cables, dimarzio, planet waves and some extremely cheap cables which no longer work.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've got one Monster, but the rest of mine are Live Wire or cheaper. I can't hear a difference, but I'm considering giving it a shot. I'll try systematically going through each brand with the same set up and making recordings of each one sometime this week.
Quote by MESAexplorer
The very best cables are going to be the $200+ cables such as Solid cables. Extremely stiff cables, they're ultra low resistance.

Cobalt cables are probably the best bang for buck cables but still they might be out of your price range by a hair. Cables under $35, I recommend planet waves all day.

Solid cables were in the $100-150 range where I first saw them (for 15-20 foot cables). I completely agree with both suggestions though. Solid cable's are win, but for more reasonable pricing I like planet waves.
Myspace compresses their files for fast loading and to save their file space.

Netmusicians.org is a much better place to post stuff like that.

^^Griff, my bad about the price, I know there are a few a bit more expensive which are stiff like the solid cables, and contain much more precious metal in them. I'm not sure if they would be much better though. on knowing good cables!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio