Alright, I was messing around with some seventh chords, playing with eighth notes, you know, traditional funk stuff, but I just want to learn some basic ways to get a cool funk groove going.

Please, I know that this is the theory section, and alot of people here are theory experts, but I am nowhere near being able to understand alot of what goes on. The extent of my understanding is major, minor, and sevenths as far as chords go. If you want to explain it in terms of the major scale, I might be able to figure it out.

But yeah, short version, what are some cool ways/chords to play some bada** funk?
Play around with some 16th note rhythms.

9th chords sound great for funk, try learning some common 9th chord voicings. Dominant 9ths...7#9...fun for the whole family.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Interesting rhthym>which chords you use. Set a groove and play some dominant chords. Easy.

To use someone elses words, funk is jazz's deformed cousin.
@bangoodcharlotte... wow, thanks.

And yeah, I know that the rhythm is more important than the chords, but I don't even have the right chords with which to make a cool rhythm part, so I have tp have a 'jumping-off' point, so to speak.

And thanks about the ninth chords, I'll look into those.
Quote by OneTimer1127
@bangoodcharlotte... wow, thanks.

And yeah, I know that the rhythm is more important than the chords, but I don't even have the right chords with which to make a cool rhythm part, so I have tp have a 'jumping-off' point, so to speak.

And thanks about the ninth chords, I'll look into those.

IT depends; Do you want to get old 60/70's funk sound, of do you just wanna go for a "Funky" sound in ur playing.

For the latter; Play around with grooves, use syncopation and what also helps alot is to always land on the first beat of every 1 or 2 measures. This reinforces the groove, and gives the listener a sense of structure.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??