hey guys im looking to buy an amp for around 300-500$ ive been looking at the marshall mg30dfx, but ive read some bad reviews about it, so now im looking at the mg50dfx.. just wants some opinions on these 2 amps

i wont use the amp for gigs, just playing at home, i play mostly rock, classic rock, some alternative, and a little blues and metal.
Let the MG flame war begin!
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Wait a minute. You look at an amp and see that it has bad reviews so you look at its bigger clone for more money? That is silly.

Anyways, don't get either amp unless you try it and really like it. They aren't good amps to many peoples' ears so if you dislike it after 6 months don't be surprised.

I would personally look at a used Laney AOR or Sovtek Mig 60.
The Marshall MG doesn't really have good tone, maybe decent if you eq it. I recommend you don't get an MG maybe you should get a Peavey Valveking or a Roland Cube. Go to your local guitar store and try out some amps before you decide
I leik music
Quote by Lethal Dosage

hahah took the words out of my mouth
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by Lethal Dosage

I swear half of the threads in this forum include MG somewhere.

If not.... Spider.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
$300-500 is your budget? Peavey ValveKing. I'm serious, look into them right now. Great amps. Quiet enough for home use, loud enough for gigs, reliable, affordable, and not too heavy.

And generally, these forums and the guitarist community as a whole severely dislike the Marshall MG series. From my experience with them, their tone is weak, thin, severely lacks flexibility and not to mention I've heard terrible stories about reliability. The thing with these amps is the fact that they sell of off the name Marshall. There are much better amps for the price.

Marshall shines in $1500-$3000 tube amplifier heads and cabs. Their MG series has nothing to do with their tube amp reputation.

In the end it comes down to whether or not you want great, flexible tone for -$500s, or if you want the Marshall logo.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 15, 2008,
dont go for the MG50

I bought a MG30 for my little brother when he started playing 7 years ago and it's still going strong - as a practise amp, and if you like the sound the MG30 IMO is a good little amp - far more reliable than my VOX AD30VT, which died a month out of it's warranty and i only used it for about 10 hours. So the little bugger cost me £13 per hour.

Speaking from experience, I wont be buying another amp with FX/moddeling on it, but If you like the sound of the MG30 go for it - I wish I had been lucky enough to be able to get one as my first amp
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
dont go for the MG50

I bought a MG30 for my little brother when he started playing 7 years ago and it's still going strong - as a practise amp, and if you like the sound the MG30 IMO is a good little amp - far more reliable than my VOX AD30VT, which died a month out of it's warranty and i only used it for about 10 hours. So the little bugger cost me £13 per hour.

Speaking from experience, I wont be buying another amp with FX/moddeling on it, but If you like the sound of the MG30 go for it - I wish I had been lucky enough to be able to get one as my first amp

Huh.... The MG series has been around for 7 years? holy **** where have I been...
Quote by NJNoise
Huh.... The MG series has been around for 7 years? holy **** where have I been...

I'm pretty sure it was seven years ago - could be 5
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
MG is what great tone would sound like, without the tone
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
MG is what great tone would sound like, without the tone

So just 'great' then?
Quote by NJNoise
The MG sounds totally slamming, the overdrive is CRUSHING

haha, best post in this thread.

Quote by NJNoise

Yeah, mine is 7 years old (almost 8). It was my first amp. I should have gone with the fender ss instead.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
haha, best post in this thread.

No, its the same trolling we get evertime

Marshall is a reputable amp company, but if your budgets under $500 you'll only be paying for the name, Look at the peavy VK and the Vox Valvetronix Series
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Take a look at Peavey Vypyrs.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Crate V-Series?... dirt cheap right now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Crate V-Series?... dirt cheap right now.

+1

I picked up one from MF when they were cheap. Takes pedals good too.