I'm thinking of getting one since it's pretty cheap, small, and supposedly good. Is it sufficient for making a byoc and installing new pickups?
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Nope. They pretty much suck ass with my experience.

Just get a regular soldering iron, it's probably cheaper.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
if you're only going to be using it a few times just head over to radio shack and pick up a 40 watter. mines works well and has held up nicely over the years.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
No. Those are the biggest piece of sh*t soldering irons. Just go to Radio Shack and get a cheap iron.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Wow. I kinda didn't expect these responses, but I guess it's good thing I asked. Just to make sure, it shouldn't be over 40w right?
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
30 or 40 watts will work just fine. Mine has 2 settings 15W and 30W but I dont ever think I've use the 15W though
I actually tried to use a cold heat soldering iron to undo the existing wiring on a strat harness.

those things are the biggest piles of ****e i've ever tried to use.

USELESS.

WASTE OF YOUR $$.

i know i'm not the only one saying it, but as someone who actually bought one and threw the goddam thing away, i felt i had to speak up. i had better results from a cranky old iron i FOUND at the dump. and that's saying something.

--Artie
Just go to radio shack and get a regular one mine is great and it only cost like $7
they're total **** as everyone else says because they produce the heat by creating a "short" this translates to "uber suxzors" and "epic fails". This is for "nubz". "Pwnzors and the 1337" use real soldering irons as they actually work for more than 2 days
If I remember correctly the cold heat guns rely on high current to melt the solder which will send high current through the circuit and fry sensitive components such as transistors. Also, if cold heat was so good every one would be using it, and there wouldn't be lame commercials for them on tv. Wear big boy pants and use the real thing.
Wow. No need to be an ass, dude.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
I never knew people were so passionate about soldering irons

was there any reason you didnt want to use a regluar soldering iron? I can say, that if one falls off the table and lands on your leg, it hurts very badly and I have a scar to remember it by.
There was no reason, I just don't know much about soldering irons and that's the only one I actually know. My bad, I guess, but it's really not that big of a deal for someone to get all up in arms if I'm trying to for ask advice on a topic that I don't know about.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Please don't waste your money on the ColdHeat crap. I bought one a while back cause it was only like 20 bucks at Radioshack and that was the biggest waste of money ever. I wouldn't pay a nickel for one looking back on it. Half the time the "short" which it causes to heat the solder doesn't even come on, so it just sits there...doing nothing...all day...nothing...worthless.
Quote by Ryker24
I never knew people were so passionate about soldering irons

was there any reason you didnt want to use a regluar soldering iron? I can say, that if one falls off the table and lands on your leg, it hurts very badly and I have a scar to remember it by.

My left index finger has a nice smooth spot on the middle joint where I managed to nail myself with my soldering iron a couple weeks ago. Hurt like a son of a gun.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Guess I'm the only one who's used them with alot of success

I've done plenty of perfboard and wire work with them, never fried a component. They don't send current through a circuit, the "short" is only occuring across the tips which are at one isolated point. They are great for quick repairs.

They suck at desoldering, which they aren't made to do anyway, but their one downside is that they require strong fresh lithium batteries to get maybe a couple dozen good uses. Alkalines don't cut it, especially for noob's cuz by the time you start getting the hang of it the batteries are wiped. The newer rechargeables work good in them though.

For bench work, I still prefer a real iron. But a cold heat can be your best friend in a quick-fix situation.
For occasional small uses the cold heat thing is ok. Anything else are mostly just frustrating.
The cold heat soldering iron works fine (in my experiance) and it will work for byoc and pick up work, but it does suck at desoldering.

That being said, a real iron does work better, is far more versitle, and doesnt require batteries. Get the real thing.
One other point contrary to some of the earlier posts, the Cold Heat tool is great for transistor/IC work, in fact for sensitive components it's better than a hot iron because there is little to no heat transfer to the part being soldered. Keeps your matched components "matched" when you're done.