I'm not much of a bass player, but I like building amps. I was considering building a 50w ampeg portaflex clone. Being all tube, this would be plenty loud for any gig with a guitar, but am I right in thinking that this would not be giggable as a bass amp?
Even being all tube, a 115 is going to be hard to get good stage volume from if you're going a large gig. Small gigs would be fine. It's a heavy sucker, though...you might want to get a dolly or something.
Nope, no sig here.
Well, I'll am more worried about the head. I'll build a cab to suit, but I think you answered my question which was "is 50w giggable for bass?" I would probably build a 6x10" or 4x10" if I decide to use it for bass.

Side note: I live mainly in Arkansas too!
Quote by end_citizen
Well, I'll am more worried about the head. I'll build a cab to suit, but I think you answered my question which was "is 50w giggable for bass?" I would probably build a 6x10" or 4x10" if I decide to use it for bass.

Side note: I live mainly in Arkansas too!

If you run it through a 610, then yeah it'll be fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Just depends on the gig size. On the rare occassions I play out, I play with people that understand dynamics and that when you play more quietly you can communicate better with the other musicians.

That is not the case for most people today, and if you're playing with a band that doesn't get that, I think 50 wouldn't cut it. Especially not with any semblance of clean headroom (though that's not usually the point in an ampeg is it?)

Build it anyway, just to be awesome, just mic it up if you need to. Plus I bet it would sound pretty nice with guitar.