Alright, question 1 : Is it worth it to buy the gibson studio les paul over the epi even if i replace the pickups in the epi....

Question 2: i want a floyd rose.... A) is there an lp with a floyd rose or B) should i get another guitar with a floyd rose....

Question 3 : Amp... im lookin at 3-350 for a new amp, i play everything from eric clapton to children of bodom and beyond, im getting a few pedals for christmas (metal muff, crybaby wah etc) and i have no idea what to look for in an amp since my guitar journey has been entirely self ( and UG) taught... suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
~Defiant~
1) Not really. Gibson's quality control is awful, with most of the guitars they're producing these days being worthless. On the other hand, while not every Epiphone is fantastic, you've got a better chance of getting a good Epiphone than you have of finding a good Gibson (especially the Studio Gibsons, which are already the worst models Gibson make). With the Gibson Studio/Special/Faded/etc series, you are basically just getting the quality of an Epi (at best), but paying more for the name on the headstock.

Don't forget there are many other good LP copies by brands like Vintage, Rally, agile, Tokai and ESP which are all on-par with Epiphone. Though of course Epiphone are usually the easiest to get hold of.

Whether you change the pickups or not is almost irrelevant.

2) a) Yes there are a few models of LP made with Floyd Rose bridges. If you have several grand to blow, the Gibson Custom Shop makes the Axcess, which is one of the worst guitars I've ever touched, but it does come with an Original Floyd Rose installed. Epiphone used to make a limited edition Les Paul Studio with a Floyd Rose, but they stopped making that a couple of years ago and it could be hard to find one now. Agile make a copy of a Les Paul with a copy of a Floyd Rose built in, I'm not sure of the quality of the FR copy but the Agile guitars themselves are made in one of the older Korean Epiphone factories so the quality should be a bit better than the new Chinese Epis anyway.
b) Possibly. Most LP players don't have much use for full dive-bombing Floyd Rose antics. If you want the full range of a Floyd Rose then you would probably be better off with a more traditional FR guitar like a Kramer, ESP or Ibanez super-Strat style guitar.
Special point on question #2: You can get a product called a Stetsbar that retrofits onto a standard Gibson or an Epiphone Les Paul (other brands may not work, the measurements are very precisely made to Gibson/Epi specs). It's a vibrato bridge that has about the same range as a well set-up Fender Strat bridge (it can just about dive bomb if you have a light string gauge and know how to set it up correctly), and will retain more sustain than a Fender-style or Floyd Rose bridge does. It costs a couple of hundred though for one of these to add to an LP.

3) The key thing is to go to a store and try out every decent amp they have in your price range, and just go with what sounds best to you. However as far as general points to look out for are, look for it being a full tube amp (rather than solid state or a hybrid amp), and try and stay away from anything that has extra digital effects, solid state gain, amp modelling, and so on. With your budget you're probably going to be looking at combo amps. Personally I'm a big fan of Fender, Epiphone and Orange amps in terms of cheap-ish tube combo amps. But mostly it's a case of going to a store and trying them all out for yourself, you can't tell if you'll like an amp or not until you test them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Aurex
Alright, question 1 : Is it worth it to buy the gibson studio les paul over the epi even if i replace the pickups in the epi....

Question 2: i want a floyd rose.... A) is there an lp with a floyd rose or B) should i get another guitar with a floyd rose....

Question 3 : Amp... im lookin at 3-350 for a new amp, i play everything from eric clapton to children of bodom and beyond, im getting a few pedals for christmas (metal muff, crybaby wah etc) and i have no idea what to look for in an amp since my guitar journey has been entirely self ( and UG) taught... suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

unless you want to spend a ton for the neil schon les paul gibson makes, get another guitar
Maybe you should look used for a guitar that suits your needs and devote the savings from the guitar budget to the amp budget, since 350 won't buy you a half-decent tube amp. You're gonna need about 5 hundo at least to get into the tube game if you're buying new, and if you're worried about sound the amp's more important.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
im not terribly worried about the amp being a "gigging amp" its more of a practice amp, the people i play with are rediculusly rich and have like 4 full stacks in their basement, this is sorta just for me in my apartment and such but thanks for the imput
~Defiant~
Quote by MrFlibble
1) Not really. Gibson's quality control is awful, with most of the guitars they're producing these days being worthless. On the other hand, while not every Epiphone is fantastic, you've got a better chance of getting a good Epiphone than you have of finding a good Gibson (especially the Studio Gibsons, which are already the worst models Gibson make). With the Gibson Studio/Special/Faded/etc series, you are basically just getting the quality of an Epi (at best), but paying more for the name on the headstock.

I'm going to disagree with this.

I use a Gibson les paul studio from the early 2000s and it's a great instrument. Really, one of the better ones I've played of any les paul, though I did go through 3 of them before finding one that I felt was worth paying the money for (the dealer I bought it from was really good about it). 2000 on really puts out a lot of duds, I agree, but if you're a smart buyer, you can avoid them. The QC on all of Gibson USA models (standard production models) suck badly but I'd certainly still say the Studio is a better value than the standard (regardless, I personally would not go near another Gibson outside of the custom shop VOS models), you just have to play one in person and make sure it's not a lemon because there are a ton of them. But if you're buying a guitar without playing it first you're taking a huge risk anyway (I personally would never do it). My rule of thumb, play every guitar in person, find a good one, a good les paul studio will easily outclass an Epiphone. Buying used is a good option for studios, because the run of the studios from the early to mid 90s are all fantastic. I haven't played a single les paul from that time period that didn't play and sound spectacular.

I'd take an Epiphone elitist over a Gibson les paul studio though. I'd take an 80s Tokai Love Rock over any Gibson that isn't from the custom shop.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 16, 2008,
why do so many people slam the les paul axcess.
whenever i've played them they've always had a good smooth floyd rose and feel nice and comfortable. people say they feel cold which i've felt on les paul studios but never on any axcess.

you must have some of the crappy ones
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
rondomusic.com
Go to the last page one electric guitars there are good LP copies with floyds
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Check out the EC-1000 LTD. One model has a floyd rose and is a les paul, $999.00.