I'm selling my Crate 120w 212 solid state and using the money and maybe some extra to get a tube amp. I was looking to get a fairly versatile amp good for practice, recording, and small gigs. A combo would be preferable. I play schecters and I love pretty heavy music like atreyu and avenged sevenfold and I love to play 311, incubus, and sublime stuff too. Anyone have any suggestions? T
The best revenge is bettering yourself-Zacky V

311 Freak of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Id like a full tube amp because it gets loud and retains that tone. Does the Vox?

although your solid state experience with crate might have left a bad impression you should check out their V series. i have a palomino (read: crate) V16 and it sounds awesome. not sure what the difference is but i think it was just a different name for marketing purpouses so theyre probably about the same. 15 watts of tube could handle a small gig for sure if you dont mind cranking it up and unleashing power tube distortion as the cost of super clean sounds. i wouldnt go more than 50 watts or youll have to go loud as hell to hit the sweet spot in the output level.
hmm...so i could still get reasonable cleans? how do the v18's compare?

Quote by full_ride_311
hmm...so i could still get reasonable cleans? how do the v18's compare?

depends on your definition of clean. you wont get acoustic-guitar-simulator clean with any single channel tube amp at high volumes and you have to consider that the power amps distort at high volume levels all by themselves unlike most solid states where the master volume is pretty much just a volume control that sounds like poop if its overdriven. its very hard to explain the volume to preamp distortion to power tube distortion to personal taste ratios. just try out whatever you can and dont worry too much because just about any all tube amp will sound decent as long as you dont overkill on the wattage when buying and have to keep the master volume at 1 or 2.
hmmm...the v16s are hard to come by but v18s are easy...are they as good?

A used Peavey Ultra combo would be good.

Definitely better than the crate. (although the crates are nice for the price)
I'm not cool.
Hmm...I'll look into it thanks

Fender Super Champ XD?

It's very versatile.
Clean's, to overdriven rock, to sort of metal (Mid-gain) tones.

Though theres only one preamp tube working for the clean tone.
So the second channel, the one with option of selecting different amp models, is not supported by a tube
So you're not gonna get that true "Tube Gain" tone.
It's more like having different pedals put in front of it.

But to add, it takes pedals very well on the clean channel.

BTW you're not gonna find a tube amp with true "tube gain" for under $300
They usually have 1 preamp tube and 2 power tubes.
Quote by full_ride_311
hmmm...the v16s are hard to come by but v18s are easy...are they as good?

The v18's are very good. The cleans are great, and you can get some overdriven tones out of em. I use a pedal to get distortion. Plenty loud enough. I got the 212 version for $199 on Musicians Friend and I love it.
I haz a suprchamp.. iz nizzle...

On topic: Yes, the Super Champ XD is a great amp for the money, in my opinion
SIGNATURE
I've seen used Fender Blues Junior's for around $250-$300. Not many, but I've seen them.

also check out the Epiphone valve junior. There's a combo version for about $200, or you can buy the head and cabinet "half stack" for $300 or so.
I would check out a used Peavey Valveking. Really more suited for heavier stuff than any other tube amp in it's class. You will need an OD pedal, though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Check out a used Valveking and a distortion pedal for your br00t4l needs, although my VK can get pretty heavy stock.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what's your 10/20

Classified.

I'm up for sale on craigslist...
gregs is that you that has that v16 for sale?

are the vypyrs solid state?

would the 75 watt be enough to do a small gig with and sound better than my current 120w Crate ss?

whats your budget?
the crate v series, palominos, and the super champ CAN'T DO METAL.
Maybe hard rock, that's about it.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
They couldn't even with an o/d or distortion pedal?

Yes you can gig with a 75w Vypyr - from what I've read.

Yes it will probably sound better then your current Crate.

No the Crate V's can't really do metal with a pedal if that is what you're asking. I mean you could, but ....

But a Crate V50 would be a great buy if you are mostly doing hard rock and 311.

...wait, that didn't come out right...
311 is amazing haha and hmm that b52 looks amazing ha. would i be able to get that whole range of tones 311 and incubus gets?

Yea some of it is...I love all of Tim's tones ha.

Stuff like Continuous Life and Galaxy off that album would be tough to pull off on most amps. Of course Tim uses a ton of rack effects and I never studied all of his stuff but yes,,,he has killer tone and is under-rated. If your interested, I did a couple of riffs off of Beautiful Disaster in my profile not too long ago. It's my multi-effects pedal tho thru my Valveking. Bdisaster. Check it.

Can you go play a B52 and some of these other amps.
your rp250? and ill check it out...hmm soon i think i can..i hope...i think ill get to guitar center this weekend