My roommates brother is getting a new amp for Christmas(spoilers!). He plays indie/classic rock, and he wants something at least 50 watts. I think 30 will be plenty especially with a budget of $200.

Any ideas?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Budget of $200!?

We're talking practice amp zone there... I play indie/classic rock and if it seemed possible would recommend what I have: a Fender Twin Amp (otherwise known as an Evil Twin, not to be confused with a Twin Reverb). Sadly, even used it's tricky to find one of those that won't set you back at least $600... Same goes for the Vox AC-30 or AC-15... Or hell... Fender Hot Rods or Blues Jrs...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

Is your best bet... It's A-class tube; these things sound pretty excellent, and the price and volume (2 X 12 = loud enough to gig with)... Don't be fooled by the 18W rating, it's going to be a loud SOB.

EDIT: Sorry about flying off the handle... It's just nearly impossible to get anything worth playing through with any output under $500 or so. The options are obviously very limited.
Yeah, if the budget were bigger it'd be much easier. This is obviously going to be a budget rig.

Does anybody else have experience with that Crate V18? I don't know much about Crate amps myself (I'm a Vox guy).
I wipe my ass with $200 bills...

That being said... used pro/blues jr? I told my friend to get one when he was amp shopping and he got some solid state crate that has an alright clean, but man does the lead channel sound like balls. He bought a boss blues drive to try and get a better lead, and he is still suffering quite a bit. I bet he wishes he listened to me...
I love Vox myself (had an AD50VT for a while), I'm just not sure that's as much wattage as he'll want considering an AD15 runs at 199.99. Like I said my roommate/bassist was asking me for suggestions for his brother who I don't know terribly well. I honestly think the Crate is the best option.

Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
I wipe my ass with $200 bills...

That made me laugh, but I'm also stepping into the territory of sleep deprivation.

That being said... used pro/blues jr? I told my friend to get one when he was amp shopping and he got some solid state crate that has an alright clean, but man does the lead channel sound like balls. He bought a boss blues drive to try and get a better lead, and he is still suffering quite a bit. I bet he wishes he listened to me...

Yeah, the Crate he linked to earlier was an all-tube. I want to stay away from SS. And pedals will never make an amp sound better, just different and possibly worse.
The Crate V series are pretty good sounding amps imo.
Most likely the best you could do with that budget.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by OceanofNoise
The Crate V series are pretty good sounding amps imo.
Most likely the best you could do with that budget.

+1

Paid $199 for my 212 from Musicians Friend, great tube amp.
See what you can get used. Your money will go much further than spending $200 on a new amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have the v18 1*12, you have to fight with the eq to get it sounding nice, the reverb is unusable after about 10 o clock, and the thing gets hot as hell.

I still don't regret buying it for a minute, sounds really nice with single coil pups; when I put an all analog tremolo pedal in front of it I want to melt.