Page 1 of 6
i posted this up as a "help me design" thread but I've decided the specs considering I haven't had anybody interested in buying it... so screw it - i'm gonna make it for myself.

RG/soloist style - ash body
zebra humbuckers - possibly SSH configuration
3 piece curly maple/mahogany neck with wenge stripes
tung oil finished body, satin lacquer neck... probably going to do an offset shape 3+3 headstock... I like those
indian rosewood fretboard (because I have 10 blanks just lying around)... or possibly pao ferro (because i have to resaw a piece for a friend anyway) - I'm thinking sharkfin inlays like my V or something custom... not sure yet
black hardware
AANJ (yes, i know the tracing has a square joint... i'll do the AANJ after the pocket is in)
wilkinson tremolo

the wenge will be MUCH thinner...

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
looks sick man! do you not want to go through the trouble of a floyd rose?
and do you have like a MS paint drawing of what your headstock will look like?
also, i think with the black hardware, a yellow red or blue (maybe even green) transparent finish would look awesome with that grain!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
NIiice!!!

Maybe someday I'll get the courage to make me a string thru body for my GRX20....
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
probably something similar to the headstock on my DC

I'm going to do a few guitars with the ash I have... this stuff was a diamond in the rough... I buy a lot of rough lumber and hold my breath while i run it through my planer to see the end result

it's no trouble, i just don't particularly care for floyds. I don't like the hassle and fine tuners suck. for the 1% of the time i'm actually going to use it, i'll stick to the wilkinson trem.

I think im going to do a real slight carve on this guitar instead of an arm cut...

probably a carve like this... God, ESP really ups the bar when it comes to beauty...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
3 piece curly maple/mahogany neck with wenge stripes
So its a 5 peice then? lol

Sounds ike a cool guitar, carve will be sweet look forward to this

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Dumb question... really dumb...

How exactly do you make a carve?
I'd like to make some at the horns of my GRX and a bevel on the lower one.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
SSH pickup config? Whats the advantages of that?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
^more versatility than a SSS if the H is coil-tapped. gives a bit more of a low end to the sound

spokeshave works really well
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i'd consider it 5 piece if the wenge were more than 3mm thick... in this case, they'll probably end up about 2 or 2.5mm thick so I'd only consider them thick veneer.

if you look at the end grain and the top of the ash i used, it almost looks book matched. it's a really nice body. I scored pretty well on the length of wood

Haha, it does look bookmatched. That's some awesome looking wood there, Phil.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I know you've already cut the body, but consider this. I think it would be amazing to have an offset body (which you can still do) with a carved top. I've never seen that before. And maybe a Talman style headstock like this:
Half a year bump.

What exactly happened to this build?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
No Necro Bumps!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
your not helping the situation, this thread was at the bottom of the 1st page and you bumped it up again.
You got some really nice wood there.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

wow someone actually bumped this?!

nothing new to update yet aside from the neck pieces migrating from my basement to my studio to my home office to my bedroom dresser... i'm going to work on it more in the coming weeks. I just haven't had the time between traveling and working on my DC, king v, les paul refinish and the lefty bass. epic pwnage will ensue once I get some time

hey phil, once i start gettnig the money, how long do you think it'll take, 2-3 months? i pm'd you about an allparts order as well. and i wish i could see the pics, the won't pop up at shcool, use a new server.
it may be longer... 3-6 months probably. depends on my other workload.

oops! missed that PM... i'll get back to you

1/4 to 1/3rd of the guitar value. just so I can get parts and wood and such. As progress is made payments can be made as well.

Quote by Mecler
I know you've already cut the body, but consider this. I think it would be amazing to have an offset body (which you can still do) with a carved top. I've never seen that before. And maybe a Talman style headstock like this:

I have this guitar, with a headstock like this.

its sexy.

Some one here needs to make a Talman Shredder build...

and TS, please finish this!
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
LoL i'm trying.

I don't like the talman headstock... i'm thinking i'll probably go with an inline 6 ESP type headstock... I like those

edit:
a talman shredder guitar would be like using a jazzmaster to play teh br00talz... could you imagine chug chug on a 24" scale guitar?

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at May 27, 2009,
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
LoL i'm trying.

I don't like the talman headstock... i'm thinking i'll probably go with an inline 6 ESP type headstock... I like those

edit:
a talman shredder guitar would be like using a jazzmaster to play teh br00talz... could you imagine chug chug on a 24" scale guitar?

i have a set of sperzel 6-in-line locking tuners, black. and i'll make payments as i make money.
LoL depends on what tuning you chug chug in I guess.

I get discounts on everything so i'm not too worried about tuners just yet. i'll probably use some kind of locking tuner, though, because of the wilkinson trem. actually I might try a hipshot trem just to see how their products are... still undecided.

bland, I don't think the blend pot and 6 position switch are available in long shaft, FYI. I'll ask allparts.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
LoL i'm trying.

edit:

Hell yeah I can!

I mean... I play Colony of Birchmen on mine....
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
tell you what...

play blinded by fear from at the gates on a 24" scale guitar and let me know how it sounds lol

i have a 1967 goya rangemaster 116B I used to tune to B for chug chug... just as a joke at least

edit:
hmmm... I really should consider a restoration on that thing... it's a nice guitar with a FUGLY headstock. it's definitely vintage looking... kinda looks like a tulip with a pickguard. I don't have the original volume knob for it, though... I made one in high school out of aluminum... here's what it looks like... the headstock is gruesome.

This is NOT mine... i have the same one in black

damn, that thing looks pretty nice.

with exception of headstock. lol.

and eff you and your br00talz
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
how do the split coils sound on guitar?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
to be honest, I haven't plugged mine in in about 11 years. I haven't the foggiest clue. it needs a serious refret/board sanding. someone filed the frets down to nothing around 20+ years ago (my uncle had it before me but never played it either so i'm assuming it's been over 20 years). now that I have the knowledge/know-how to do it, i'm gonna refret it when I get a chance and clean the electronics real good... probably respray it, too. It's got a 2 part urethane on it right now from the refinish I did on it when I was like 16... i'd redo it in black nitro. I was thinking of making a new neck for it, too... that headstock is just an atrocity lol.

here's the pickup configuration... they're actually 4 separate pickups.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
LoL depends on what tuning you chug chug in I guess.

I get discounts on everything so i'm not too worried about tuners just yet. i'll probably use some kind of locking tuner, though, because of the wilkinson trem. actually I might try a hipshot trem just to see how their products are... still undecided.

bland, I don't think the blend pot and 6 position switch are available in long shaft, FYI. I'll ask allparts.

i'm pretty sure they cam in 3/4 shafts. let me know man. and i have no use for the tuners, though brock might want them, still not 100% sure if he does though. he never gave a definite answer. tying to get 40 for them. they're factory 2nds, mechanically perfect, but the black isn't uniform, can't tel unless you stick your face up to them though.

and have you ever considered an apprentice? i need to learn this ****.
i'll take a look. they looked like short shaft pots to me with no option for long...

where do you live, anyway? rofl

That Goya is u-g-l-y! That being said, I'd still try to keep it is close to the original as possible while restoring it. It's ugly in a way that makes me kind of like it...
Split pickups is an interesting system, the switches are far too complicated, on-off for each would be better.
Jared, I am 100% not interested at this point. I got chrome ones for cheaper. Sorry, but I couldn't pass it up.

Yes, PLEASE reshape that headstock. It's hideous.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
LoL well the purpose of a partial restoration is to get it back into playable condition. At this point I think i'll just refret it... I don't really plan on taking it out and playing teh br00talz with it... but a refret, board dressing, nut replacement, repaint and switch cleaning might be in order just to strum a few chords on it once in a while and to say "yea... the headstock is awful... but the guitar is pretty neat"