so I got an offer for a gig, but I have no band set up, what should I do?

A few days ago, I got a message from somebody who was booking a concert near my area wondering if I was interested in playing there after he listened to some of my recordings...

trouble is, its barely a month away, and I have little material set up and no band.

I may be able to get a band together today, but the question is, will I be able to set up enough of a set list in a week or two from scratch. I figure if I can get band together by the end of today (a few calls might be able to do that for me), and I just book it, we at least have a chance at being able to pull it off if we work hard.

or is it just not worth it? I dont get chances for exposure often, and I'd really like to do it.

so what do you think pit? should I try to pool all my resources together, reform a band, and try to setup enough of a set list to play the show, or just forget about it?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Yes.

Just pull some good covers with your own twist on them to make up for the short setlist if you need to.

Do it.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by x_thurston_x
Yes.

Just pull some good covers with your own twist on them to make up for the short setlist if you need to.

Do it.

pretty much what I was thinking. I'll see if I can get a band together by the end of the week, and if I can, I'll book it. I have a lot of songs I've written that are half done too, so I can get some good original material in there too.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
you don't have a band or enough material?
Nothing wrong with turning him down, I've had to do it a few times, and you won't subject anyone to crappy forced music played by people that aren't familiar enough with it.

yeah I know I was thinking about that. But if I do get a band together, its with people I've worked with before, and we can work together.

Im going to feel this situation out, and go with it. Worst comes to worst I bomb out on stage or something like that. It wont eternally scar my name or (non-existant) image lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Dec 16, 2008,
I say you buy a looper pedal and do it Keller Williams style.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I say you buy a looper pedal and do it Keller Williams style.

Or this. Definitely.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by Roast Beef

The Pit =/= /b/

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
who needs a setlist? play the blues!
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Play an extended funk bass solo
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Is it legit? Or one of those spam messages sent out on myspace telling you that they listened to the stuff you had posted and it was great and want to offer you a slot on a local festival or something like that?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
do it!
go into free form jazz if you need to
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by merfsullivan
Is it legit? Or one of those spam messages sent out on myspace telling you that they listened to the stuff you had posted and it was great and want to offer you a slot on a local festival or something like that?

no its not one of those messages from myspace, its from somebody who works for someplace in a city about an hour from where I live, and they're booking an all-ages concert (so no alcohol etc)...

and I have to contact him outside of myspace (phone, email) in order to do the booking.

so yeah its legit.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
a month may seem enough but believe me it really is not, Unless you get a group of musicians today, Start practicing every week atleast 2/3 times, Pull off covers, That u guys should already know how to play.

Then u have a great chance of pulling it off, I hate to be pessimistic, But otherwise i see a fail coming up...
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by G-loony
a month may seem enough but believe me it really is not, Unless you get a group of musicians today, Start practicing every week atleast 2/3 times, Pull off covers, That u guys should already know how to play.

Then u have a great chance of pulling it off, I hate to be pessimistic, But otherwise i see a fail coming up...

oh trust me, so do I, lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
A few days ago, I got a message from somebody who was booking a concert near my area wondering if I was interested in playing there after he listened to some of my recordings...

trouble is, its barely a month away, and I have little material set up and no band.

I may be able to get a band together today, but the question is, will I be able to set up enough of a set list in a week or two from scratch. I figure if I can get band together by the end of today (a few calls might be able to do that for me), and I just book it, we at least have a chance at being able to pull it off if we work hard.

or is it just not worth it? I dont get chances for exposure often, and I'd really like to do it.

so what do you think pit? should I try to pool all my resources together, reform a band, and try to setup enough of a set list to play the show, or just forget about it?

What you're thinking of doing is at best unprofessional.
When you agree to play a gig, you are promising the person booking you that you are in a position to say that you will be ready on the night. But so far you cannot say that.
If you agree to play the gig and really are not ready in time, you're going to either give a substandard performance or pull out at the last minute, neither of which is good for the poor person booking you. He either has to risk an audience walk out or has to work like the devil to get a suitable last minute replacement.

Of course, there's always the possibility that you can pull it of and have a great gig, but it's hardly fair to the promoter to take the risk.

The best thing you can do is to thank him for their interest, but tell them that you simply don't have a complete band at the moment and cannot promise that you will be ready in time and that you have no wish to piss him around, then ask if you can re-contact him when you are ready to accept bookings again.
If he's an experienced promoter, he'll probably appreciate your honesty and agree to book you once you're ready.
The best thing you can do is to thank him for their interest, but tell them that you simply don't have a complete band at the moment and cannot promise that you will be ready in time and that you have no wish to piss him around, then ask if you can re-contact him when you are ready to accept bookings again.
If he's an experienced promoter, he'll probably appreciate your honesty and agree to book you once you're ready.

This, Is indeed true.
Best thing is to cancel this one but ask him to book you when u are complete as a band, And can play at least 30 min.

Believe me with no covers, It's pretty hard for every startting band to fill up 30 min.

EDIT: Maybe you could suggest the promoter some other band that is ready ?
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.