Ok, so I had a bit of a revelation today..

I have realized that I REALLY prefer one piece maple necks on my guitars AND basses. Now, I am looking to get a bass, so this really sets a criteria for me. Here are the criteria an instrument should fit into:

1) Under $350 new (I am tired of looking for used around here)
2) Not the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (I only say that because I am already looking at one of these, and wnat to considar alternatives).

Any ideas?
Since you're already looking at a Jazz, the red SX LTD on rondomusic.com might be good for you too.(link)
It's an LTD, which is miles ahead of normal SX's...no worries about quality there.

The only other ones I can find on musician's friend are Squier P-basses.

edit: If you can drop another $30, there's the Peavey Zodiac BXP.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Zodiac-BXP-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Regular-Black?sku=512187

edit again: The OLP MM2 has a maple neck, if you get the one with a natural finish. Good luck finding one, though...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by Anjohl
Wow, that SX looks sick! Didn't I hear that they are cheap knockoffs in the vein of Jay Turser tho?

A lot of people get that impression of them because of the price. Really what's going on is that they manufacture in china(spanish company), don't advertise at all, and this allows them to sell at very low prices. Also, Rondo bases their designs solely on the feedback from their customers.(SX builds them to Rondo's specs)

A few years back, they were still getting everything situated, and got a bad reputation from some of the stuff that came out, like the old fishhook headstocks..I'll find a pic of one if I can. They're perfectly fine now, and in fact there's quite a large following of them over on the Talkbass forums...especially that one. It's an LTD, which means it has upgraded hardware/pups and hand-filed frets.

edit: Here's one with the old fish hook headstock...see how the curves are much more pronounced than the current lakland-style ones? You can see why they went away..
http://jndkramer.com/files/SX%20Bass/DSC04048.jpg
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 16, 2008,
Well, for what it's worth, apparently MIM Fenders will have maple fingerboards as an option at the beginning of the new year, and while a bit over $350, they should be considered.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by froggyman
The classic vibe are maple too??

the CV 50s P bass has a maple fretboard
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
you can get an ATK for $500 at L&M, a bit over your price range but still worth it, if they dont have one down their they will order one in for you too
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
you can get an ATK for $500 at L&M, a bit over your price range but still worth it, if they dont have one down their they will order one in for you too

ATKs dont have one piece necks, it's like 4
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
hmm.
I support the CV 50's P-bass, a lovely sound. one of the best passive tones, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I got the VM Jazz, and I don't regret it for a second...it was in the backroom of Long and mcquade...last time I mentioned on here that they had one, someone bought it just before I went in to pick it up...so I didn't want to say anything..but this one is even better thant he last one they had.

I fell right in love with it all over again, lol. The VM Precision is pretty damn good too tho, I have to say.
do they have any other ones down there, i really wants to try one out
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
i doubt i will ever buy one unless they start making a 5 string version, i just wants to see why everyone says they are so great lol
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by the humanity
hmm.
I support the CV 50's P-bass, a lovely sound. one of the best passive tones, IMO.

I played one of these the other day and it felt absolutely amazing, wasn't too keen on the look from pictures but it looks a lot nicer in real life. It was a great build too, very solid. And it had a fantastic tone.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The OLP MM2 is a two-piece maple neck, just so you know. It's very tough to fine a one piece neck for that price.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Anjohl
I am not a huge fan of 5 string basses, I don't see the point really. The potential economy of motion and less tuning changes are balanced out nicely by the discomfort and lack of speed overall granted by the wider neck.

That's retarded. What difference does the width of the neck make? Really? The strings are closer together for Christ's sake.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
That's retarded. What difference does the width of the neck make? Really? The strings are closer together for Christ's sake.

it does feel different.

but if your technique is worth anything, you should be just as good with a fiver after a minute or two, my only problem is switching back to a 4 string and losing my 'crutch' string.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

It feels different, but the neck width doesn't change anything. You're getting less neck-per-string on a 5-string. The neck should feel thinner.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Anjohl
I am not a huge fan of 5 string basses, I don't see the point really. The potential economy of motion and less tuning changes are balanced out nicely by the discomfort and lack of speed overall granted by the wider neck.

lack of speed? if im playin down around the 6th or 7th fret and i needs to play an F its a lot quicker to go to the 6th fret on my low B then go all the way back up to the first fret on my E
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by ScottB.
ATKs dont have one piece necks, it's like 4

whats the difference?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
whats the difference?

glue, stability, and some pretty lines.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard