So tonight I got bored and threw something together, Its called My Masterpiece under my profile http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rebel624/. I've been playing 2.5-3 years now and this is my first little piece I've put together with drums behind it. It has plenty of problems although it's an Idea which I could work with. I haven't bothered to learn it so that I can clean it up, I just recorded over the drums with a jam. I figured you people who have been playing around 3 years could use it as a little comparison. Personally I like listening to people everynow and then that have the same experience as me. I'd appreciate any tips from you people that have many years of experience as well. I feel as if I could throw something a little better together solo wise, but my parents were sleeping and I had to hurry. Oh yea sorry for the crucial ENDING
no Im sure I went a note out of key and tried to improvise from there. Nice tip though it seems with all the theory I've been trying to learn and scales etc, I have less time for working on the basic Hammerons, Pulloffs, and vibratos which I learned as a beginner.
Last edited by rebel624 at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by rebel624
no Im sure I went a note out of key and tried to improvise from there.

proooobably shouldn't try that again, if you hit a wrong note bend into key and then continue. in general for a fully improvised peace it was fine, seemed a bit rushed in places and the tone was god aweful (not your fault really) but all in all, keep it up!

Edit: work on your soloing techniques then, consistant hammerons and pull offs tapping and all that jazz, its important to get them fluid and clean, good call on learning lots of theory but the trick is to work on both your theory and techniques equally.
Learn a scale and then find something you can improvise over using that scale, this will make it familiar and also allow your to transfer things you've seen on paper (or webpage) to the fretboard.
learning how to use theory in practice is the most important thing.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Dec 16, 2008,
thanks for the comment. There is no way possible I can achieve studio tone with a desktop mic. correct? I almost feel like a fool for asking. Yea and for those of you laughing It isn't really a masterpiece, I found humor in naming it that considering the name and the piece of music clash if you know what I mean. To tell the truth I felt no need to create a cool name for a thrown together piece of music
Last edited by rebel624 at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by rebel624
thanks for the comment. There is no way possible I can achieve studio tone with a desktop mic. correct? I almost feel like a fool for asking.

desktop mic recording your amp? nah man it would need to be a damned nice mic. Look for software, like guitar rig, and i think line 6 toneport or something, these allow you to plug straight into your laptop/pc and choose from a range of amp or tones.
They still aren't superior to a good mic set up with a good amp but excellent none the less.
So your telling me it would be better to have a Expensive microphone rather than a toneport?
Quote by rebel624
So your telling me it would be better to have a Expensive microphone rather than a toneport?

well no, not unless your amp is equally awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qwCwonP00
this guy uses guitar rig
haha that dude extremely good although I could never smile that much when playing lol. Well If I think of him while I play I wouldn't be able to stop smiling.
That first riff sounds exactly like a riff my metal band from college used. It was twice as fast but it was essentially the same riff. Interesting.

If you dont have any gear worth miking, get guitar rig or something like that and learn to use it! It really sucks if you just try to plug a couple of pieces of virtual gear together and rip away. The guy in that youtube video knows it well.